Will the upcoming update delete my saved spaceship designs?

When you say spaceshi designs, I assume you mean the saved craft files yes?

They will be in the VAB or SPH folder of your current game, and assuming nothing is drastically changed you can simply copy them to the similar VAB or SPH folder in the directory after you install the new version.

I haven`t seen an occasion of previously saved craft files being unusable in more recent versions.. aside from those with mod parts that have not been installed to the new directory

From the devs' current reports they didn't mention anything about saves/craft braking. Having that in mind for the sandbox mode of the game your saves and ship files (provided what mods you use) will work if you copy them at the correct directory. For the campaign mode that is another story.

If any of the existing ships in your save are incompatible, it will ask you if you want to delete them the first time the save is loaded.

If any of the ships or planes in your VAB or SPH folders are incompatible it will ask you when you first open those folders in-game (load dialogs)

That said, there is no need to lose anything when upgrading. Just copy your entire KSP folder somewhere and keep it forever!

Well, its hard to tel with r&d coming up, but I think they should still work. .21 broke save persistence and added multiple new parts, plus overhauled SaS, yet my craft files still work.

I'm still using my old save files. some date back to .19 (or maybe .18, not sure when I started) definitely as old as 18.3

If you try to load old files, .21 will say that it is not compatible but does offer the option of conversion to the new format. conversion hasnt failed any of the times I tried it.

Edited by Starwaster

I'm fairly confident the answer is No.

Not even save breaking updates broke craft files. And this update isn't save breaking.

Most of .22 is dealing with the new career mode that will be available for the first time to select when you start a new game. The only changes to sandbox mode which we have all been playing are the addition of a few parts and it will benefit from the game optimization efforts that have been done.

R&D won't effect anything in Sandbox. Sandbox already has everything unlocked. It'll be a useless building and the research parts will also be useless. R&D is not a Sandbox feature. It is a Career Mode feature.

Edited by FITorion

Your current savegame (and crafts) are in sandbox mode. This will not change and your crafts will remain unaffected. To my knowledge, there is no plan to break save compatibility. The only way the tech tree affects you is when you start a new game in career mode (finally clickable).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.