[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

On 3/16/2020 at 11:54 AM, ZacAttack said:

any chance you could separate the engine from the service module?

if you go back a couple of versions, the old SM doesn't come with the attached engine.  It should still "mostly" work.  However, @sumghai did have to redesign the parts to fit the new Mk 1-3 capsule, so the umbilical cover and the boost protective cover of the older version won't work unless you can find a mod to reinstall the old Mk 1-2 capsule.

At least I think the integral puff engine was added in the same version as the capsule change.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 3/17/2020 at 2:54 AM, ZacAttack said:

You'll need to downgrade to SDHI SMS v3.2.4.

From v4.x onwards, I permanently integrated the engine into the Service Module to reduce part count, simplify craft assembly and ensure that the (fixed-sized) fairing panels fit properly. If I allowed the engine to be separable again, more likely than not someone will try to use a different engine, and the fairings will no longer fit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 1:13 AM, VoidCosmos said:

Hi @sumghai! Nice mod! I really enjoy using this! Sorry for going off topic but what visual mods do you use?

I currently only run Environmental Visual Enhancements with the default settings, which is what I used for the screenshots in the first post.

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 2:00 PM, Foefue said:

Does this work decently with 1.10.1?

As of August 6, 2020, it does not work with 1.10.1 because the Dependencies (Animated Decouplers and RealChute Parachute Systems) are not updated to 1.10.1 or at least that I know of.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks! My apologies for the radio silence lately.

Last July, I started a new engineering job for a big multinational company, and as part of my three-year contract, I've been based in...a large Asian country. Questionable career decisions, lousy internet, the KSP 2 announcement and the recent pandemic aside, I've definitely dropped the ball in terms of keeping my mods updated.

Right now, I'm updating my base game and minimal mod collection to the latest versions, so that I can see what needs to be done to bring SDHI SMS to KSP 1.10.1.

Stay tuned!

2 hours ago, sumghai said:

Last July, I started a new engineering job for a big multinational company, and as part of my three-year contract, I've been based in...a large Asian country. Questionable career decisions, lousy internet, the KSP 2 announcement and the recent pandemic aside, I've definitely dropped the ball in terms of keeping my mods updated.

Right now, I'm updating my base game and minimal mod collection to the latest versions, so that I can see what needs to be done to bring SDHI SMS to KSP 1.10.1.

Stay tuned!

This looks like a part-only mod.  Especially since you updated it for 1.8, you probably wont need to do anything.

one request though.  I understand why you integrated the engine into the service module.  Any chance you could provide both the service module and the engine as separate parts in addition to to merged one?   I prefer to be able to use whatever engine i want, usually smaller, and Id rather not have to deal with downloading an older version in order to get those parts

On 8/4/2020 at 3:00 PM, Foefue said:

Does this work decently with 1.10.1?

On 8/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, Turk_WLF said:

As of August 6, 2020, it does not work with 1.10.1 because the Dependencies (Animated Decouplers and RealChute Parachute Systems) are not updated to 1.10.1 or at least that I know of.

Realchutes is updated, the AnimatedDecouplers is currently listed for 1.9.1, and most like will work in 1.10.1.  I just pinged @Starwaster about it, but it should work

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

one request though.  I understand why you integrated the engine into the service module.  Any chance you could provide both the service module and the engine as separate parts in addition to to merged one?   I prefer to be able to use whatever engine i want, usually smaller, and Id rather not have to deal with downloading an older version in order to get those parts

This isn't a big deal, I've already been able make a copy of the SM Trunk without the engine, was pretty easy to do in Blender.  I've also make a longer fairing in case I want to put in a longer engine

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 3/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, ZacAttack said:

On 3/16/2020 at 6:07 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

if you go back a couple of versions, the old SM doesn't come with the attached engine.  It should still "mostly" work.  However, @sumghai did have to redesign the parts to fit the new Mk 1-3 capsule, so the umbilical cover and the boost protective cover of the older version won't work unless you can find a mod to reinstall the old Mk 1-2 capsule.

At least I think the integral puff engine was added in the same version as the capsule change.

This is a couple of modified parts:  Service Module without an engine, and an elongated fairing panel, made from the 4.0.2 version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvfpn9i1szt335o/SDHI_SM_Modified.zip?dl=0

@sumghai Feel free to incorporate these parts in the complete mod.  I think it would be great!  One thing about the fairing, it should be possible to use the stock part variant system to provide one fairing part with multiple lengths; I did it with my SRB mod.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This looks like a part-only mod.  Especially since you updated it for 1.8, you probably wont need to do anything.

Strictly speaking, you're correct - I tested SDHI SMS last night in 1.10.1 with the RealChutes v.1.4.8 and Animated Decouplers 1.4.2.2, and everything worked just fine.

However, someone on GitHub offered a patch for ReStock compatibility, so I figured I might as well integrate that into the next release (even though I admittedly don't particularly care for ReStock).

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Foolproofing the mod aside, preventing the SM from being used with other engines means I don't have to make fairing panel variants.

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is a couple of modified parts:  Service Module without an engine, and an elongated fairing panel, made from the 4.0.2 version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvfpn9i1szt335o/SDHI_SM_Modified.zip?dl=0

@sumghai Feel free to incorporate these parts in the complete mod.  I think it would be great!  One thing about the fairing, it should be possible to use the stock part variant system to provide one fairing part with multiple lengths; I did it with my SRB mod.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I wish to respectfully decline including these parts, as they don't fit my vision for this mod.

Edited by sumghai
Correction: GitHub, not Discord

V4.0.3 released - see first post for download link

4.0.3 - 29 August 2020
---------------------------

Changes / Fixes:
 - Compatibility Patch for KSP 1.10.x
 - Added ReStock compatibility
     - If ReStock is installed, the game will be forced to use the original Mk1-3 Command Pod, to ensure compatibility with the SDHI SMS Umbilical Port

I also updated the FAQ in the first post, this time stating that ReStock is (partially) supported, although that won't stop me from still acting like a tsundere about it ;)

If you want to support me without paying real money, please download my add-ons from CurseForge - the more downloads I get from there, the more Author Rewards points I can redeem from Curse, which will help me buy bowls of ramen to keep me going during late-night modding sessions

On 8/23/2020 at 6:09 AM, sumghai said:

Stay tuned!

Actually, I'm genuinely surprised that you're still maintaining this after all this time. I remember seeing this released all those years ago! Happy to see you're still maintaining it!

• 2 weeks later...

Err.. I cannot seem to put the the service module fairing plates on.. it always looks very wonky and they don't seem to detach when I detach from the adapter..

(it always goes on like this for some reason..)

EDIT:  I forgot to add that they don't detach when I use the adapter to detach from the rocket.
tw9omaQ.png

Edited by Travelbysakura
Added a major detail that I forgot about.

5 hours ago, Travelbysakura said:

Err.. I cannot seem to put the the service module fairing plates on.. it always looks very wonky and they don't seem to detach when I detach from the adapter..

Looking at your screenshot, you seem to have attached at least one of the fairings correctly. Did you try using 3x symmetry to attach all three in one go, or are you instead trying to attach them individually?

It appears I have run into another bug! (although I assume its realchutes fault, or might be mine for upgrading to realchute 1.10..)

Whenever I try to use the parachute on the docking port with integrated parachute, on descent the parachute doesn't deploy at all, no drogue chutes no nothin before it sends my kerbals to a fiery death. (I have in deployed on the IVA, and on the external camera, I also tried spamming deploy chute close to the ground at about 3000-4000 meters up)

I will try to provide a gif whenever I can get one without the aftermath getting in the way.

(Edit: found out the issue was that it was bugged due to loading it from a craft file, found a fix by just removing it and replacing it again.)

Edited by Travelbysakura
Figured out my issue.

I mean being able to use it while having restock on, i like the restock MK1-3 pod so i think all it would take is an attachment node change on the docking port if i'm correct

Okay i tested it without the patch and it looks fine, just the pod is invisible

1 minute ago, Souptime said:

I mean being able to use it while having restock on, i like the restock MK1-3 pod so i think all it would take is an attachment node change on the docking port if i'm correct

You aren't making sense.  Why can't you use the Mk1-3 pod with this?

The whitelist file is only used to make sure needed texture files are left available for non-restock mods to use

When i remove the patch the pod turns invisible, and the SDHI parts look fine on it the only issue is the invisible pod. Maybe a module manager patch could fix this im not good with mods

And i dont have any mods that use stock textures as far as i know

Here's a couple screenshots https://imgur.com/a/QexZBPh

Oh yeah ping @linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, Souptime said:

When i remove the patch the pod turns invisible, and the SDHI parts look fine on it the only issue is the invisible pod. Maybe a module manager patch could fix this im not good with mods

And i dont have any mods that use stock textures as far as i know

Here's a couple screenshots https://imgur.com/a/QexZBPh

Oh yeah ping @linuxgurugamer

Why are you removing the patch? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.