[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

This is AWESOME. Another great piece of work, sumghai!

Now we have this, would it be possible to make something like the PMA for the FusTek station parts?

Oh lordy, I've created a Monster!! :D Blending the best of KOSMOS, SDHI and BobCat's Soyuz... (with Solar Panels by Near Future)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by MDBenson

I have a request. Could you make an antenna.

There's no good way to fit the stock antenna or any of the AEIS dishes under the side fairings....

I managed to get one of the AIES folding dishes to fit under the side fairings, which works well as a high-gain antenna.

I too found the stock Communotron 16 a bit too big for the fairings, so I suppose one could do a CFG edit of a re-sized version to fit underneath.

Now we have this, would it be possible to make something like the PMA for the FusTek station parts?

Hmm...

I believe the Kirs Docking Module from my FusTek pack is pretty much usable as a PMA :)

Are you going up or down and if it's popping off upon deployment what altitude are you deploying at?

-Descending, drogues deployed, it was on the night side and took me by surprise the first time so I was not tracking speed but I had passed 500 meters and it caught my attention that the mains had not deployed (they were tiny size under the drogues) when 'pop' off came the docking ring. I had deployed about 5000 meters with speed under 250 m/s (my normal max speed to deploy chutes)

Were you using physical time warp? That causes a lot of parachute failure.

-No time warp.

I'm going to set up some unmanned Mk1-2 capsules and try to replicate the result.

Twice I have had the Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port - Parachute version, detach from the capsule a few hundred meters above the ground. Anybody else?

Only when I've done high-speed direct drops. I look at it as a limitation that I have to work around.

Sumghai, I do thoroughly enjoy this mod!

As a side note, an orange tank with a skipper underneath and two orange-skipper combos asparagus feeding into the center make an excellent launcher for the entire assembly

Edited by TimothyC

-Snip-

I've tested both the parachutes with loads much higher than the SDHI on Kerbin, and none have failed thus far. This includes my 15.5T lander, most of the FusTek Modules. I've also (accidentally) deployed the 'chutes with high loads with high speed (1000+ m/s) and have yet to have a failure. I would suggest a reinstallation and perhaps a fresh save.

Edited by sharpspoonful
Needed info

The attachment node on the stockalike parachute/docking port is stupidly misplaced. Mine has the node way higher then it should be so that it looks like the protective cover is attached by witchcraft. Don't know how it happened and don't know how to fix.

Edit: For some reason when I trashed my command pod setup and was building another one the para-docking port was normal. Weird...

Edited by Legendary Emu

The docking port with parachute is alone a good reason to download this.

Agreed. I was looking for something like the docking port with parachute! it's something i've though was missing. while the radial ones work, it takes some extra parts (5) to make it.

Great job, keep up the work and keep adding to it! a great addition to KSP.

IHmm...

I believe the Kirs Docking Module from my FusTek pack is pretty much usable as a PMA :)

Hmm... I thpose so, yeah. There's actually really no practical reason to have an off-set docking port unless you happen to need to dock a Space Shuttle to it ;) Either that or I could just use a Kuest with a docking port... or nab the PMA from the ISS pack.

Hmm... I thpose so, yeah. There's actually really no practical reason to have an off-set docking port unless you happen to need to dock a Space Shuttle to it ;)

Not even then!

BCCE0AA148A2110BB825828DBA4FE7264EB70592

2B24A936DA73FDD4EB4D89B6E23F7391A5CEC0CD

Clearance is for Kerbals who aren't in the Jeb Zone. :cool:

...and now I'm sad because I had to deorbit that ISS pseudo-lookalike after running into memory usage issues halfway towards completion. :(

At least I have Tiangong-3 and OPSEK I can build. And maybe some of the memory optimization in 0.22 will let me revisit the idea again...

Ok, made reentry with a mk1-2 with two Kerbals aboard. deployed chutes at 5000km at a speed around 190m/s at 500m the mains deployed. the chute/docking ring ripped off and reappeared in orbit at escape velocity from the sun. Had to terminate mission. the mods I run are: Mechjeb mod, chatter mod, crew manifest mod.

Possible contributing factors (beyond something only on my computer) that makes me wonder are:

1. The ship had been docked at a space station. When I docked I selected the docking port as 'control from here' and as I understand it, when I decouple from the station it should revert to the capsule in control but the capsule disappears and the game centers on the ring as 'the ship' in the tracking station after the failure. Am I still in control from the ring and is that causing the failure?

2. I only had two kerbals in the capsule. I also have a lot of oscillation when I reenter. Does the docking/parachute ring have an off center effect to make it hang at a tilt beneath the chutes or is this something only on my flights and could point to a glitch in my install?

Edited by jpkerman

I'm loving everything so far. I just ran a test to see if the vehicle could return from the Mun. Basically what I like to do is use an upper stage to get the crew vehicle and lander to the mun, and then circularize around it, discarding the upper stage when finished, thus leaving all the fuel in the crew module. After the mission is done, and all Kerbals are (hopefully) on board, I use the crew vehicle to return to Kerbin, circularize at a high orbit, and then de-orbit at a targeted Ocean. Targeting an ocean from the Mun is, well, I'm not rocket scientist, so don't judge me :P

So, the service module with the provided engine can indeed get the Mk1-2 pod and crew back to Kerbin in a circularized orbit with about 300 to 400 m/s Dv left to spare for de-orbit operations. Based on past experience with Minmus and it's smaller gravity well, I'd have to venture a guess that going from Minmus to Earth would also be possible, but I have not tested it yet.

Disclaimer: I used HyperEdit to get the vehicle and crew into Munar orbit, and then used Mechjeb for return testing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.