[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Did I say "massively inconvenient?" No. I did not. So why upgrade my complaint to "massively inconvenient"? I did not say "massively inconvenient", and I did not imply, nor intend to imply, that it is "massively inconvenient".

So, have we got "massively inconvenient" out of the way? Thank you!

Did I say "massively inconvenient?" No. I did not. So why upgrade my complaint to "massively inconvenient"? I did not say "massively inconvenient", and I did not imply, nor intend to imply, that it is "massively inconvenient".

I don't see what the problem is, you got a free upgrade!

:sticktongue:

Fine, but you didn't answer my question. What's the problem with right clicking it/hitting abort just before re-entry? It's the same number of clicks as tapping spacebar in the case of abort, and it's a safety net so you don't accidentally stage the SM and strand your kerbals.

I don't know about solid-fuel-burning but I'd really like to see a version of the parachute-equipped docking port that

A: holds the capsule level when the chutes are deployed, and

B: has a set of RCS thrusters that work in concert with a set built into the SDHI heat-shield, and perhaps even the SDHI Svc Module, and maybe also

C: Make the Svc module compatible with the Mk3-9 capsule too, and perhaps a version of the protective fairing with its hatch positioned to line up with that two-seat capsule's door? Would be really nice to have a matching system to allow for launch of an unmanned two-seat rescue capsule.

I don't see what the problem is, you got a free upgrade!

:sticktongue:

OK, that made me laugh!

Fine, but you didn't answer my question. What's the problem with right clicking it/hitting abort just before re-entry? It's the same number of clicks as tapping spacebar in the case of abort, and it's a safety net so you don't accidentally stage the SM and strand your kerbals.

I expressed my views in their entirety in my earlier post. That is all.

Edited by softweir

So I knooooow I've posted about this before, but my standard install uses Ven's. (I especially use its Mk1-2 pod because it has inbuilt RCS). Luckily with 1.0, I can now use the SDHI heat shield with the pod, so it works almost completely. Except the pod shroud. Yes, Ven's has one, but it's more "Apollo" than "Orion," plus it lacks separation thrusters

What I'm asking is if it's not too much work, could you make an option for the shroud that moves the door to the back to match up with Ven's? It'd be greatly appreciated to me. :-)

I'd really like to see a version of the parachute-equipped docking port that

A: holds the capsule level when the chutes are deployed, and

Not planned.

The reason the capsule hangs down at an angle when the parachute is deployed is because the chute risers are anchored to one side of the docking ring, as to not obstruct the docking port. In order to keep the capsule level, the parachute will need to somehow emerge from the docking port itself, which looks rather silly.

B: has a set of RCS thrusters that work in concert with a set built into the SDHI heat-shield

Not planned.

, and perhaps even the SDHI Svc Module, and maybe also

Not planned.

The user is supposed to put their choice of RCS thrusters on the surface of the smaller-diameter portion of the SM, so that they can be encapsulated by fairings at launch.

C: Make the Svc module compatible with the Mk3-9 capsule too, and perhaps a version of the protective fairing with its hatch positioned to line up with that two-seat capsule's door? Would be really nice to have a matching system to allow for launch of an unmanned two-seat rescue capsule.

Not planned.

The SDHI SMS is specifically designed for the stock Mk1-2 Pod, not for any other revamp or variants.

Quick question, in the last set of notes :

- Fallback patch for stock parachute behaviour has been updated

- Deployment altitude increased to 1000m

- Minimum air pressure required to open reduced to 0.04 kPa

- Both values are comparable to stock parachute part performance

- Note: RealChute is still the recommended default

Does this mean that Real Chutes is not strictly a requirement any longer but rather "strongly and highly" suggested ? Or do you have to swap some cfg's around and still need to have the real chute core installed?

Quick question, in the last set of notes :

- Fallback patch for stock parachute behaviour has been updated

- Deployment altitude increased to 1000m

- Minimum air pressure required to open reduced to 0.04 kPa

- Both values are comparable to stock parachute part performance

- Note: RealChute is still the recommended default

Does this mean that Real Chutes is not strictly a requirement any longer but rather "strongly and highly" suggested ? Or do you have to swap some cfg's around and still need to have the real chute core installed?

Technically, RealChute is still a hard dependency - the fallback patch is used to tide things over in the event that RealChute isn't updated for a particular version of KSP yet.

You don't need to swap any CFGs around or anything - if RealChutes is absent in GameData, the patch automatically kicks in.

Hey sorry for all the questions, but I found another...

- Klockheed Martian Special Parts (dtobi / raidernick) - If installed, the heat shield will be equipped with a self-inflating floatation collar

I went to the thread, and based on what I read, I really don't believe that special parts is going to be updated (the download is even locked out as "private" now). Would it be possible to configure the flotation collar for manual (right click) or stage operation? Or was it completely part of Special parts?

Hey sorry for all the questions, but I found another...

- Klockheed Martian Special Parts (dtobi / raidernick) - If installed, the heat shield will be equipped with a self-inflating floatation collar

I went to the thread, and based on what I read, I really don't believe that special parts is going to be updated (the download is even locked out as "private" now). Would it be possible to configure the flotation collar for manual (right click) or stage operation? Or was it completely part of Special parts?

Excellent question!

Unfortunately, the floatation collar was purely powered by KM Special Parts. The float PartModule is derived from Firespitter's, but FS lacks the automatic deploy-on-splashdown feature. In looking for a replacement plugin, I would prefer to go the whole nine yards and seek out something with the automatic deployment. Alternatively, I could just use the stock animation module for manual deployment, but the stock game doesn't support modifiable buoyancy.

I think there are three solutions to this problem:

- Have someone take over KM Special Parts

- Have someone write a lightweight standalone floatation system plugin from the ground up

- We could ask RoverDude (who is apparently now actively maintaining Firespitter) to add the deploy-on-splashdown feature to the Firespitter buoyancy PartModule

of the three options presented I think the order of probability is 1 - roverdude, 2 - finding someone to write a new one I read a good portion of the KM thread, it got kinda heated there before Nathen locked it. If anyone were to try and take over, it would have to be someone that's made a name for themselves already in the mod community (just MHO there).

Thanks for the response!

I strongly feel that in addition to an LES, this pack should include a solar array.

The SMS is meant to be a blank canvas, upon which one can customize with solar panels or RCS thrusters from stock or other mod part packs.

I strongly feel that in addition to an LES, this pack should include a solar array.

The stock 1x6 ones 1x6 fits the actual Orion configuration pretty well, but if you prefer the older but classier circular design, there's one in the Near Future Solar pack:

xp2Z91X.png

I beleive there's also a 1x3 that is even closer to reality.

Why? The stock panels work perfectly fine, and if you must have something more closely resembling the various orion concepts, get NF Solar. It's a pet peeve of mine that every other mod pack's creator wastes time reinventing the wheel when we're already spoiled for choice as far as solar arrays are concerned.

I could make a similar comment with regard to LES. You have the crappy stock LES, and you have the KSPX one. What more do you need?

I could make a similar comment with regard to LES. You have the crappy stock LES, and you have the KSPX one. What more do you need?

I HATED the stock one's performance as it comes in the game. I could not get enough altitude to get the chutes to deploy safely. I wound up increasing the thrust by 250kN and doubling the fuel supply, and I stick a Seperatron in the nose to counteract the tip motor to get even more altitude. It works great now.

I HATED the stock one's performance as it comes in the game. I could not get enough altitude to get the chutes to deploy safely. I wound up increasing the thrust by 250kN and doubling the fuel supply, and I stick a Seperatron in the nose to counteract the tip motor to get even more altitude. It works great now.

Can't disagree with you there. The KSPX one is superior in every conceivable way, in my opinion. Since it exists, and works so well, I'm simply saying there is no need to reinvent the wheel unless it can be significantly improved on.

I personally think that the stock solar panels and the ones from Near Future Technologies work very nicely with SDHI SMS, so there's definitely no need for me to develop my own SDHI solar panels.

As for the LES, I too agree that the stock one is quite underwhelming, so I swear by the KSPX one. That being said, I do want to make a more powerful LES, with solid-fuel powered RCS at the tip for mid-abort course correction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting an exception when I load the Heat Shield in the VAB. I start with no parts and then grab just one shield. The exceptions start immediately and continue spamming. Anyone seen this before?

UrlConfig
{
name = SDHI_2.5_Heatshield
type = PART
parentUrl = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield/part
url = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield/part/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield
PART
{
module = Part
author = sumghai
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1.25
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 1000
cost = 200
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = SDHI 2.5m Heat Shield
manufacturer = Sum Dum Heavy Industries Co., Ltd
description = Designed for use with Kerlington's Mk1-2 Command Pod, this aftermarket heat shield consists of several ablative PICA-X tiles mounted on a conformal carbon fibre carrier and an internal metal skeleton support, permitting multiple uses before replacement.
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,1
mass = 0.45
CoPOffset = 0, 0.125, 0
CoLOffset = 0, -0.1, 0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 45
breakingForce = 280
breakingTorque = 280
maxTemp = 3400
PhysicsSignificance = 0
bulkheadProfiles = size2
thermalMassModifier = 1.0
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAblator
ablativeResource = Ablator
lossExp = -6000
lossConst = 1
pyrolysisLossFactor = 900
reentryConductivity = 0.01
ablationTempThresh = 500
charMin = 1.0
charMax = 1.0
charAlpha = 0.0
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 800
maxAmount = 800
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
buoyancyForceInflated = 150
forcePointName = buoy1
isMaster = True
sound_inflate = SDHI/Service Module System/Sounds/inflateshort
sound_deflate = SDHI/Service Module System/Sounds/inflatelong
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
isMaster = False
forcePointName = buoy2
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
isMaster = False
forcePointName = buoy3
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
isMaster = False
forcePointName = buoy4
}
MODULE
{
name = BBModule
}
}
}

[EXC 18:35:42.448] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.463] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ModuleJettison.LateUpdate ()

[EXC 18:35:42.464] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.464] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.486] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.487] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.488] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.488] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.490] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.491] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.491] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.492] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.508] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.509] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.510] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.529] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.529] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

I have no idea why it's a ModuleJettison EXC when the part has no such module, but it's the only part in the VAB when this happens, and goes away if I remove the heat shield and use any other parts except the heat shield.

I'm getting an exception when I load the Heat Shield in the VAB. I start with no parts and then grab just one shield. The exceptions start immediately and continue spamming. Anyone seen this before?

UrlConfig
{
type = PART
parentUrl = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield/part
url = SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield/part/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield
PART
{
module = Part
author = sumghai
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1.25
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
TechRequired = specializedConstruction
entryCost = 1000
cost = 200
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = SDHI 2.5m Heat Shield
manufacturer = Sum Dum Heavy Industries Co., Ltd
description = Designed for use with Kerlington's Mk1-2 Command Pod, this aftermarket heat shield consists of several ablative PICA-X tiles mounted on a conformal carbon fibre carrier and an internal metal skeleton support, permitting multiple uses before replacement.
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,1
mass = 0.45
CoPOffset = 0, 0.125, 0
CoLOffset = 0, -0.1, 0
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 45
breakingForce = 280
breakingTorque = 280
maxTemp = 3400
PhysicsSignificance = 0
bulkheadProfiles = size2
thermalMassModifier = 1.0
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAblator
ablativeResource = Ablator
lossExp = -6000
lossConst = 1
pyrolysisLossFactor = 900
reentryConductivity = 0.01
ablationTempThresh = 500
charMin = 1.0
charMax = 1.0
charAlpha = 0.0
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 800
maxAmount = 800
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
forcePointName = buoy1
isMaster = True
sound_inflate = SDHI/Service Module System/Sounds/inflateshort
sound_deflate = SDHI/Service Module System/Sounds/inflatelong
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
isMaster = False
forcePointName = buoy2
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
isMaster = False
forcePointName = buoy3
}
MODULE
{
name = KMbuoyancy
isMaster = False
forcePointName = buoy4
}
MODULE
{
name = BBModule
}
}
}

[EXC 18:35:42.448] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.463] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.486] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.487] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.490] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.492] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'EventReport..ctor'.

[EXC 18:35:42.508] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.509] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[EXC 18:35:42.510] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I have no idea why it's a ModuleJettison EXC when the part has no such module, but it's the only part in the VAB when this happens, and goes away if I remove the heat shield and use any other parts except the heat shield.

Try to see if you are able to reproduce this issue on a clean installation of KSP with only the stock parts, SDHI SMS and its dependencies. Another add-on may be interfering with SDHI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.