[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

sumghai I am having an issue in 0.90. I attach the paradocking port and the parachute is not showing up in my staging?? The chute is apparently installed because if I press space it deploys or if I physically click the chute I am arm/deploy it. But I have no chute that I can move around in my staging stack??

I have realchute, and the three dependencies although I could not fine 0.90 versions of them and your link is to like version 0.24 of them. animated docking ports is at like 0.24.2 and the klockheed martian stuff is no longer actively supported.

Any ideas why I am not seeing the chute in the staging stack? Is there anything I am send to help debug (images, craft files, sfs files, etc). just let me know.

Thanks

Did any see my post? I see several responses to posts after mine. I would really like to understand why I am not seeing the parachute of the paradocking port in my staging stack

Did any see my post? I see several responses to posts after mine. I would really like to understand why I am not seeing the parachute of the paradocking port in my staging stack

Do you have the Tweakable Everything mod installed?

That does things like add/remove items from staging, so if it is installed try right-clicking on the docking port in the VAB to see if there's an "enable staging" button (or something similar).

The reskin of the pod is fine (I have tested it against Ven's Stock Part Revamp), but I would suggest doing a reinstall Stock Part Revamp but without the clamp-o-tron model and config. That way, SDHI will play nicely.

The only thing that conflicts with Stock Part Revamp that i actualy found, is that the rescue door is on the wrong position, because Stock Revamp moves the hatch door.

The only thing that conflicts with Stock Part Revamp that i actualy found, is that the rescue door is on the wrong position, because Stock Revamp moves the hatch door.

You mean Stock Part Revamp conflicts with SDHI.

The hatch in the boost cover is in exactly the right position.

Ven is making changes that break compatibility with existing parts.

It also breaks compatibility with the SDHI heat shield leaving a noticeable gap between the two.

I can appreciate that people like the art style of Ven's work but if he wants to make changes of that magnitude that's his lookout.

IMNSHO

Starwaster you are 100% correct, Vens modifications are the cause of any conflicts people come across.

That being said, and please no one bite my head off, has anyone made a modified aero cap to fit with the altered door position on Vens pod?

I figure this is a reasonable place to ask if any one has taken it upon themselves to make such a change considering the license does permit it, and I in absolutely no way think this responsibility should fall to sumghai or anything of that sort.

If the answer is no, no one has, well then I have been threatening to dust off my horrendously inadequate modeling skills for quite awhile now in order to address a number of things like this, and this just may be the thing that gets me to do it lol.

Also how thoroughly broken is the SDHI heat shield with Vens rework, would it just require an attach node adjustment or will the models not even come close to lining up now? I just started hacking together mods to start up a .90 game and haven't realy tested anything like this yet, I still play in .24.2 because I've been to lazy to go through the whole process lol.

One moment while I sharpen my teeth. Please keep your head still

No, just kidding!

I'm pretty sure nobody has made anything like that for SDHI.

As for the heat shield, the problem is that the command module's bottom doesn't come as far down as it should. It's quite literally too short.

You could fix it by adjusting the node but then that means other things won't fit properly. :(

Lol :wink:

Hmm yes you're right adjusting the attach node would then make the arm on the decoupler not line up correctly I forgot about that :huh:

So both the aero cap and the heat shield will need a remodel to get them to work, sigh I'm doing it again I'm threatening to try and learn blender, or something, whats the other one? 3DS or something like that? I can't even remember the name of the program I learned on back in highschool in like 2005 lol

Considering I backed a 3D printer companies crowd funding thing and will be receiving one in like July or something I should probably re learn all that stuff lol.

Lol :wink:

Hmm yes you're right adjusting the attach node would then make the arm on the decoupler not line up correctly I forgot about that :huh:

So both the aero cap and the heat shield will need a remodel to get them to work, sigh I'm doing it again I'm threatening to try and learn blender, or something, whats the other one? 3DS or something like that? I can't even remember the name of the program I learned on back in highschool in like 2005 lol

Considering I backed a 3D printer companies crowd funding thing and will be receiving one in like July or something I should probably re learn all that stuff lol.

3D Studio? Is that the only two choices now?

I use SoftImage XSI ModTool 7.5 myself and have been since I started modding for Crysis

http://www.moddb.com/members/varsity/downloads/autodesk-softimage-mod-tool-75

That's the so-called demo version but it had a lot of its functionality unlocked shortly before being discontinued.

Thank you EVER so much Autodesk for BUYING the company only so you could kill ModTool. I cannot use the words I would like to use to describe Autodesk without incurring the righteous wrath of the moderators. Suffice it to say I hate and despise Autodesk and am at this moment thinking all kinds of horrible thoughts in their general direction....

P.S. Much easier to learn and use than Blender.

Edited by Starwaster

lol blender and 3DS are the ones I always here about.

I'll definitely check that out thank you for the tip and the link :)

If you do decide to use it, you'll need to use Collada when it's time to export to Unity. I don't recall the exact procedure but I re-downloaded it today so I can do some modeling. So if you need help with exporting, send me a PM.

You mean Stock Part Revamp conflicts with SDHI.

The hatch in the boost cover is in exactly the right position.

Ven is making changes that break compatibility with existing parts.

It also breaks compatibility with the SDHI heat shield leaving a noticeable gap between the two.

I can appreciate that people like the art style of Ven's work but if he wants to make changes of that magnitude that's his lookout.

IMNSHO

Yes, thank you for simplifying that. That's kind of what I was trying to say.

As for the heat shield, the problem is that the command module's bottom doesn't come as far down as it should. It's quite literally too short.

You could fix it by adjusting the node but then that means other things won't fit properly. :(

I built an Orion replica this afternoon with the Revamp 3-Kerbal capsule, and the heat shield attached just fine. No gaps or excessive recess. Everything behaved as expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

I built an Orion replica this afternoon with the Revamp 3-Kerbal capsule, and the heat shield attached just fine. No gaps or excessive recess. Everything behaved as expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

Embarassing. I just realized I was thinking about the DRE 2.5m shield that had the gap. The SDHI shield has another issue entirely but it's barely noticeable....

Embarassing. I just realized I was thinking about the DRE 2.5m shield that had the gap. The SDHI shield has another issue entirely but it's barely noticeable....

Happens to the best of us, my friend. No worries!

Ok I've checked the FAQ and searched through the thread as best I can and I can't see any reports of the behaviour I am seeing:

When I assemble the CSM (following these instructions exactly) my service module doesn't decouple properly on abort. The decouple is triggered and the rest of the rocket is treated as a seperate craft, but remains physically attached.

If I successfully complete a launch then the service module decouples perfectly as expected. It seems the presence of any parts below the service module adapter stop the decoupling process from completing successfully.

If I follow the guide through to step 17 (I.E. complete the CSM but do not complete the rocket) the abort sequence fires perfectly. While experimenting with different options, I noticed that once the service module adapter (or any piece for that matter) is attached to the base of the LV-909, an extra node appears at the bottom of the LV-909. If I attach a part to this new node, fairings appear on the LV-909 (So I'm sure this isn't the right way to do it) but the abort sequence succeeds.

I'm kind of bemused as to why parts attached to the service module adapter are able to affect the functionality of the service module at all, but I'm confident that's what is happening.

I do have animated decouplers installed by the way.

EDIT:

Also, is it normal to not be able to attach things to all parts of the service module body when using angle snap? With angle snap enabled, any parts I try to put on the middle of the recessed part end up level with the fairings as if the collider is wrong.

Edited by a__gun

Sounds like you have a problem with KJR and need to update it.

And you're using the wrong LV909. You want the 909B

known issue with angle snap. Either don't use it or slide the attachment up or down until it snaps into the SM surface.

I'll try updating/removing KJR thanks, but I'm definately using the correct 909. The fairings don't appear when I attach something to its bottom, only when I attach two things two the bottom via the extra now that appears as I said before.

EDIT:

Removed KJR and it fixed the issue, also looked at the KJR page and saw others had reported the issue a few versions ago. According to CKAN I had the latest KJR installed so has the bug returned or is CKAN wrong..?

Edited by a__gun
Test

I'll try updating/removing KJR thanks, but I'm definately using the correct 909. The fairings don't appear when I attach something to its bottom, only when I attach two things two the bottom via the extra now that appears as I said before.

EDIT:

Removed KJR and it fixed the issue, also looked at the KJR page and saw others had reported the issue a few versions ago. According to CKAN I had the latest KJR installed so has the bug returned or is CKAN wrong..?

I think you need to download the dev version. I don't know if he pushed an official update that fixes it (and CKAN only deals in official releases, not pre or beta, etc. Read the last page (or 2 or 3), someone linked directly to the file you need to download.

Re: LV909

I totally do not see any extra nodes popping up anywhere on that engine, any time. Are you using the latest version, V2.4, last month?

Edited by Starwaster

a__gun, are you using the Fairingless version of the LV-909 from the pack (and not the stock version)? Because if you're using the correct part, the engine should not spawn any fairings at all, ever.

I totally do not see any extra nodes popping up anywhere on that engine, any time. Are you using the latest version, V2.4, last month?

I am 99.99% certain I am using the fairingless version added by this mod, but I will check and post pictures when I am near my PC

Right I've repeated my testing and here's some photo proof:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Please note that debug clipping is NOT enabled and I am NOT attaching both struts to the same node - a new node appears after the first strut is attached.

This isn't really much of an issue as the second node can just be ignored, but thought I'd share none-the-less

Right I've repeated my testing and here's some photo proof:

http://imgur.com/a/Oqiym

Please note that debug clipping is NOT enabled and I am NOT attaching both struts to the same node - a new node appears after the first strut is attached.

This isn't really much of an issue as the second node can just be ignored, but thought I'd share none-the-less

First picture. Look at the second item. That is the source of the problem. Pretty sure that's from Tweakable Everything. You have fairings enabled on it.

First picture. Look at the second item. That is the source of the problem. Pretty sure that's from Tweakable Everything. You have fairings enabled on it.

That does look like an obvious fix but just tried disabling that option and I still get the extra node with the same behaviour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.