[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

I'll have a think about it, and get back to you on those.

Much appreciated. I'm going to look at your own heatshield, and see if I can adapt it for Deadly Reentry (don't worry, I won't be releasing it or anything).

EDIT: Hah, you've beaten me too it! Well done!

Edited by Synthesis

Okay, I've finally had a chance to try this thing out properly (safety tests post launch). As one of those "Keep my kerbals alive as long as a I can" type players, these are fantastic! You've turned suicide Squad equipment into hardware that meets superpower safety levels! Thank you very much for this mod! Only two suggestions:

1) Can you make the heat shield detachable? Soyuz-style, I mean. Completely cosmetic, I'd just prefer the flat surface for hard landings.

2) Would you consider releasing the parachute as a more typical parachute pack with the attachment point in the center, like the conventional Mark 1-2 parachute? Trichutes are awesome, and we see so few of them.

Even if you don't consider either of those, this pack gets an A+ from me.

you can easily add the code to the heat shield config file yourself. I'd even post it here for you but I'm typing from my ipad and my PC is out of action with a bad hard drive. look at any decoupler config file. you're looking for something like

Edit: Below should do it.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDecouple

ejectionForce = 250

explosiveNodeID = top

}

Edited by Starwaster

V1.2 released - see first post for download link

1.2          25 October 2013
---------------------------

Changes:
- VAB/SPH: Moved SDHI 2.5m Service Module Adapter and SDHI 2.5m Service Module Fairing to Aero tab
- R&D: Moved SDHI 2.5m Service Module Adapter to "Supersonic Flight" node
- If you have unlocked this part previously in Career Mode, you will need to edit your persistence file to temporarily remove the adapter from the list of unlocked parts, and then re-unlock after restarting the game
- Modified SDHI Mk1-2 Pod Boost Protective Cover collider to allow the Mk1-2 Pod underneath to be selected
- Hover your mouse pointer over the "Cut To Rescue" graphic on the cover and right-click

thanks sumghai, this CSM is awesome :D

Could you, in a future update, include a non-service module decoupler below the heatshield? Since I got this mod I use the heatshield every time I use the MK1-2 pod. Problem is, the shield looks kinda off when used with a stock or KW decoupler below. It'd look way better to have the large ring around the lower part of the crew module and heatshield but not the tanks and engine. That way everyone could build a larger or different service module but still use the protective cover and heatshield.

A command pod floatation device for a splashdown would be a nice addition to this pack. Tester here if required!

I would like to see more added to this package...a custom command pod, solar panels and escape tower. The full monty! a complete system all in your style!

Thanks for the great parts!

Could you, in a future update, include a non-service module decoupler below the heatshield? Since I got this mod I use the heatshield every time I use the MK1-2 pod. Problem is, the shield looks kinda off when used with a stock or KW decoupler below. It'd look way better to have the large ring around the lower part of the crew module and heatshield but not the tanks and engine. That way everyone could build a larger or different service module but still use the protective cover and heatshield.

This has been requested a number of times, and I definitely agree this is a good idea.

Should be relatively easy to put together this weekend :)

A command pod floatation device for a splashdown would be a nice addition to this pack. Tester here if required!

My understanding is that stupid_chris has expressed some interest in developing a PartModule plugin to constantly check a vessel to see if it has splashed down and automatically play an animation / activate bouyancy features.

We've been discussing various bit and pieces earlier today, and I definitely want to do both a full floatation ring around the heatshield, and the three little righting system balls built into the docking ports.

I would like to see more added to this package...a custom command pod,

Weeell...probably not. I'm quite happy with the current stock Mk1-2 Pod.

solar panels

Maybe a stockalike variant of the 1x6, but more strongly resembling the ESA ATV style Service Module panels. No promises though, as usual.

and escape tower.

I'm happy with KSPX's LES.

May i make a suggestion that there be an alternate version of the bottom fairing that is not see through but has a solid fairing cover so it's not all strut looking? i want to add a munar transfer stage like the Orion ATV service module :)

This is sorta what I'm going for:

Orion_Service_Module.jpg

Notice the cover between where the fairing would be and the transfer stage and how it's a solid faring and not see through-strut style :)

i hope this makes sense at i feel as if i might be a little confusing with what I'm asking for

Must confess I have not found a whole bunch of uses for this thing, but I love it anyway. Kerbal survival is always a big concern and this thing is very good for that. Also it's a really high grade set of components, which is always great to see. :)

You can get very close to that look with the KW Rocketry mod pack.

Or even with odds and ends from other packs thrown in. I bodged this together in about 15 minutes, give or take.

5zLwmPd.png

May i make a suggestion that there be an alternate version of the bottom fairing that is not see through but has a solid fairing cover so it's not all strut looking? i want to add a munar transfer stage like the Orion ATV service module :)

Other than minor cosmetic differences, I don't really see the need for an enclosed variant of the adapter.

Stick a fuel tank and an engine under the existing adapter, and there's your Munar Transfer Stage - it's what I use.

V1.3 released - see first post for download link

1.3          8 November 2013
---------------------------

Features:
- New Part
- SDHI 2.5m Avionics Ring
- Avionics Ring is essentially the upper decoupler portion of the full Service Module, with a bonus battery, reaction wheel and toggleable integrated fuel-to-electricity converter
- This is particularly useful for people who want to build their own Service Module, but also use the SDHI Heat Shield and Boost Protective Cover

(Please read the following in a semi-dramatic voice and intonation) Hey Sumghai, I have a request. Currently, due to using comOffset on your parachute, my custom service modules, that often are a bit light, will constantly drift off course. I removed the ComOffset line, and this resulted in stuff flying straight. This made the parachute look quite weird, however. Therefore, I request a parachute/docking port, where the parachute lines radiate out from the center of the docking port, instead of the site.

(Please read the following in a semi-dramatic voice and intonation) Hey Sumghai, I have a request. Currently, due to using comOffset on your parachute, my custom service modules, that often are a bit light, will constantly drift off course. I removed the ComOffset line, and this resulted in stuff flying straight. This made the parachute look quite weird, however. Therefore, I request a parachute/docking port, where the parachute lines radiate out from the center of the docking port, instead of the site.

Already requested, and possibly planned.

Already requested, and possibly planned.

Nope, definitely not planned.

The offset is there to allow the capsule to hang realistically underneath the parachute, and as it applies only to the docking ports, it's a very minor offset. A more powerful reaction wheel or a B9 infodrive on the opposite side of the capsule would also make this effect negligible.

Finally, it doesn't make sense to have a parachute line magically appear out of the docking tunnel.

Nope, definitely not planned.

The offset is there to allow the capsule to hang realistically underneath the parachute, and as it applies only to the docking ports, it's a very minor offset. A more powerful reaction wheel or a B9 infodrive on the opposite side of the capsule would also make this effect negligible.

Finally, it doesn't make sense to have a parachute line magically appear out of the docking tunnel.

You're saying something. It never occurred to me to try and counterbalance it. Also, do you have any plans of expanding this mod? As in, add other stock-alike versions of modern spacecraft. An example could be the PPTS (although some parts of it are very reminiscent of the Orion) and the Dragon.

Also, do you have any plans of expanding this mod? As in, add other stock-alike versions of modern spacecraft. An example could be the PPTS (although some parts of it are very reminiscent of the Orion) and the Dragon.
This mod is great, It'd be interesting to see this kind of system for other capsules.

Most likely not - I originally made this parts pack just for myself because I was a little annoyed with exposed solar panels and whatnot, and simply decided I might as well share it ;)

Duna, here we go! (still test-flying. Building a liquid SRB isn't easy. :P)

-snip-

Gorgeous - much more elegant than my 2-stage-plus-boosters Magnum-K lifter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.