[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

No, he said several posts up that the model he wants isn't available yet, and he's not buying the older models. Don't be antigonistic.

ModZero means that Sumghai can't afford to buy ALL the old asus stock in order for them to restock with the new model he wants

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, milbournosphere said:

I'm having issues with SDHI in 1.0.5, probably due to issues with the decoupler dependency.  The primary faring does not fire when toggled, and when triggered on the pad, the faring fell down to the ground through the ship and exploded.

Exactly the same problem here. If someone wants to analyze my logs would be happy to send.

Folks, just a reminder that I still don't have access to a laptop* capable of playtesting the mod on KSP 1.0.5, so there's not much I can do at the moment.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Working on the decoupler issue when I can over the past few days but it doesn't seem to be operating properly with 1.0.5  and I'm still trying to find out why

Much appreciated, thanks :)

*Blame Asus NZ and their local distributors for constantly pushing back product releases

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Working on the decoupler issue when I can over the past few days but it doesn't seem to be operating properly with 1.0.5  and I'm still trying to find out why

Issue with a collider (total guess), given that FASA also had issues with the decouplers?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/22888-105fasa-540/&do=findComment&comment=2320633

I added another null check to AnimatedDecouplers and everything seems to work fine now.  Apparently, even asking about "anim" when it might not be set was setting off null reference exceptions, which bled over into other parts of the game code, including collision (without a way to know which parts were shielded and which weren't, I guess the physics system couldn't figure out whether a part should collide or not?) and staging (ditto?).  Checking that animationName was not set before getting to that point resolved this.  I've stopped using SDHI on my 1.0.5 install, but it works with Modular Rocket Systems's LAS shroud.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

3 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I added another null check to AnimatedDecouplers and everything seems to work fine now.  Apparently, even asking about "anim" when it might not be set was setting off null reference exceptions, which bled over into other parts of the game code, including collision (without a way to know which parts were shielded and which weren't, I guess the physics system couldn't figure out whether a part should collide or not?) and staging (ditto?).  Checking that animationName was not set before getting to that point resolved this.  I've stopped using SDHI on my 1.0.5 install, but it works with Modular Rocket Systems's LAS shroud.

It doesn't appear to work with the SDHI Shroud, I just tested it with your update.

1 hour ago, GreenGusTech said:

It doesn't appear to work with the SDHI Shroud, I just tested it with your update.

Are you sure you actually tested my update?  I haven't put up any new DLLs for download, and neither has Starwaster (not with my modification).  I just tested the SDHI shroud on my test install, in case it has a relevant difference from the MRS shroud.  With Starwaster's last release (1.2.1), I get exceptions in the log related to ModuleAnimatedDecoupler's IsMoving() method, which leads to collision and staging bugs; compiling my modification, I don't, and the shroud stops solar panels from opening when it's on, and lets them go when the shroud is decoupled.  (The hardest part of this testing was getting the shroud to come off without ripping the solar panels off with it -- MRS's shroud came right off, no fuss.)

6 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Are you sure you actually tested my update?  I haven't put up any new DLLs for download, and neither has Starwaster (not with my modification).  I just tested the SDHI shroud on my test install, in case it has a relevant difference from the MRS shroud.  With Starwaster's last release (1.2.1), I get exceptions in the log related to ModuleAnimatedDecoupler's IsMoving() method, which leads to collision and staging bugs; compiling my modification, I don't, and the shroud stops solar panels from opening when it's on, and lets them go when the shroud is decoupled.  (The hardest part of this testing was getting the shroud to come off without ripping the solar panels off with it -- MRS's shroud came right off, no fuss.)

Ah, I was using Starwasher's 1.2.1 version without your modification. I thought that had your modification in it. My bad :P

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

sorry, still no update for Animated Decouplers yet as they decouple without animating. 

Also? There is no Starwasher here; only Zuul. 

I might be able to look into this myself this weekend, now that my new laptop has arrived.

Okay folks, so I got SDHI SMS set up in KSP 1.0.5, and so far I've picked out the following issues in my install:

- The Parachute-equipped docking ports are missing the parachute staging icon, although parachute deployment, docking and toggleable lights seem to work fine. This was due to changes in docking port behaviour in 1.0.5, where they now have the option of being stageable - by default, this is false, so the corresponding staging icon is hidden, even if the part contains a stock or RealChute parachute PartModule. Toggling the corresponding option in the right-click context Menu unhides the staging icon. (Note: When the parachute is staged, anything attached to the docking transform of the docking port will also be decoupled, but that is understandable given that there shouldn't be anything docked to the Mk1-2 after-reentry.)

- Decoupler forces seem to be much stronger now, to the point that jettisoning the BPC or side panels causes explosions that often damage other parts of the craft; this is particularly strange as the BPC actually has a decoupler force of zero. Several part colliders needed overhauling for compatibility with KSP 1.0.5/1.1's new convex collider rules. The side fairing decoupling behaviour also needed reworking to jettison sideways more consistently.

- The umbilical seems to work fine with Animated Decouplers 1.2.1

I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by sumghai
Update on issue 2

Having trouble drafting a reply... grrrr. Have you verified that animations are actually happening and not just decoupling? Please double check that

10 hours ago, sumghai said:

- The umbilical seems to work fine with Animated Decouplers 1.2.1

Edited by Starwaster
omg can't get any text into the damned post

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Having trouble drafting a reply... grrrr. Have you verified that animations are actually happening and not just decoupling? Please double check that

Just checked again - for some reason the animation isn't playing, just like prior reports from other users. EDIT: Silly, silly me. The changes I made to support this feature was on GitHub, and I was testing an old dev build on my laptop. So yes, the animation now plays to completion before the Service Module decoupler fires.

I'll also note that if AnimatedDecouplers is used to decouple the pod as part of the Abort action group, the escape tower motor bound to the same action group does not work (replacing AnimatedDecouplers with the stock decoupler module seems to work okay, sans animation of course).

EDIT: The BPC also seems to interfere with the abort staging sequence (i.e. pressing abort would only decouple the pod but not fire the escape tower motor.

EDIT 2: The BPC itself cannot decouple and fire its own jettison motors at the same time when bound to the same action groups.

Looks like I've been away from the game for far too long and haven't been able to keep up with all the changes :/

5 hours ago, sumghai said:

Just checked again - for some reason the animation isn't playing, just like prior reports from other users. EDIT: Silly, silly me. The changes I made to support this feature was on GitHub, and I was testing an old dev build on my laptop. So yes, the animation now plays to completion before the Service Module decoupler fires.

I'll also note that if AnimatedDecouplers is used to decouple the pod as part of the Abort action group, the escape tower motor bound to the same action group does not work (replacing AnimatedDecouplers with the stock decoupler module seems to work okay, sans animation of course).

EDIT: The BPC also seems to interfere with the abort staging sequence (i.e. pressing abort would only decouple the pod but not fire the escape tower motor.

EDIT 2: The BPC itself cannot decouple and fire its own jettison motors at the same time when bound to the same action groups.

Looks like I've been away from the game for far too long and haven't been able to keep up with all the changes :/

Ok, going over the Animated Decouplers code and I think when I put in the wait for animation delay that I coded the logic in such a way that it won't play the animation if waitForAnimation is False.

I'm doing a small overhaul, probably have a release out tomorrow or the day after.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Ok, going over the Animated Decouplers code and I think when I put in the wait for animation delay that I coded the logic in such a way that it won't play the animation if waitForAnimation is False.

I'm doing a small overhaul, probably have a release out tomorrow or the day after.

Much appreciated as always :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out why decoupled side fairings that are far away from the SM are still occluding the SM Terrier engine/RCS/Solar PV panels.

3 hours ago, sumghai said:

Much appreciated as always :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out why decoupled side fairings that are far away from the SM are still occluding the SM Terrier engine/RCS/Solar PV panels.

Possibly a long standing stock bug that I coded a work around for and then removed thinking it was no longer necessary. Or actually, the code is still there but disabled.

43 minutes ago, RoketMan said:

The BPC motors do not fire when decoupling. This becomes problematic when in an abort sequence the LES is out of fuel. I have no clue what is wrong please help.

Known issue with the AnimatedDecouplers plugin, which should be fixed in the next release.

1.0.5 broke a lot of things in SDHI SMS, so please be patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.