[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

4 hours ago, kenbobo said:

I can't find a non-parachute IACBM for other craft to dock. Is it compatible with the stock Clamp-O-Tron?

The IACBM is not compatible (by design) with the stock Clamp-O-Tron, because the former is meant to emulate the ISS CBM docking system.

4 hours ago, kenbobo said:

If not, is it possible to include a non-parachute version in the SDHI pack instead of having to go through the dev build of FusTek?

No.

For the next update, I may actually add a MM patch that hides the IACBM port from the VAB/SPH partlist if FusTek Station Parts is not installed.

Okay folks, so here's where things are at for the next update:

Compatibility with Ven's Stock Parts Revamp isn't as easy as most folks claimed it would be. I got an MM patch to successfully add the docking port bumper animation to the SDHI Clamp-O-Tron, but the model for the Ven Clamp-O-Tron is much bigger, and completely encloses the SDHI chute container covers. The alternative is to use Ven's parachute-equipped Mk16XL Clamp-O-Tron, but that means losing the SDHI-themed branding on the docking port, as well as attachment node issues with the Boost Protective Cover due to the Mk16XL being thinner than the Ven Clamp-O-Tron. I'm trying to chase down @Ven regarding other options, but in short, this won't be an easy fix.

The FusTek IACBM variant will soon be available from the VAB/SPH parts list only if FusTek Station Parts is also installed. Some clever MM syntax has made this possible.

Re-implementing the flotation collar is very low priority right now, partly because of my commitments to other mods like FusTek, and partly because my plan was to help make a RealChute-like standalone plugin/parts pack for flotation devices.

Contract Missions will probably only be available for the Making History DLC. I haven't had much help from the people involved in the Contract Configurator mod, and since I have limited time to work on multiple KSP projects, it makes sense for me to opt for the path of least resistance.

9 hours ago, sumghai said:

Okay folks, so here's where things are at for the next update:

Compatibility with Ven's Stock Parts Revamp isn't as easy as most folks claimed it would be. I got an MM patch to successfully add the docking port bumper animation to the SDHI Clamp-O-Tron, but the model for the Ven Clamp-O-Tron is much bigger, and completely encloses the SDHI chute container covers. The alternative is to use Ven's parachute-equipped Mk16XL Clamp-O-Tron, but that means losing the SDHI-themed branding on the docking port, as well as attachment node issues with the Boost Protective Cover due to the Mk16XL being thinner than the Ven Clamp-O-Tron. I'm trying to chase down @Ven regarding other options, but in short, this won't be an easy fix.

Have you tried rescaling  the part when Ven's mod is installed? I haven't ever actually seen it or used it so I have no idea if that's viable or not.

Though I have to wonder if it's really worth it... this isn't the first time Ven's parts have created incompatibility issues and it won't be the last. (which is odd considering that a selling point in its early days was that it would not create compatibility issues...)

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Have you tried rescaling  the part when Ven's mod is installed? I haven't ever actually seen it or used it so I have no idea if that's viable or not.

Tried this last night - any form of scaling, uniform or otherwise, would distort the dimensions of elements such as the docking bumper. This would look jarring next to the "genuine" Ven docking ports.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Though I have to wonder if it's really worth it... this isn't the first time Ven's parts have created incompatibility issues and it won't be the last. (which is odd considering that a selling point in its early days was that it would not create compatibility issues...)

Yeah, not sure if this is worth the effort right now. I really do like Ven's art style, though.

18 hours ago, sumghai said:

my plan was to help make a RealChute-like standalone plugin/parts pack for flotation devices.

Can't tell if you have chucked this idea ("my plan was") or just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sounds cool!

5 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Can't tell if you have chucked this idea ("my plan was") or just haven't gotten around to it yet. Sounds cool!

Yeah, that does sound cool.  in the mean time, how about USI tools?  They have flotation bags.

I just noticed something else since downloading the latest version, the Mk 1-2 pod doesn't highlight anymore when you mouse over it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcstvdgyx5xi4kv/output_log.txt?dl=0

4 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

in the mean time, how about USI tools?  They have flotation bags.

oh sure, several options out there. Saying "RealChute-like" tho makes me think of floats that are procedural rather than fixed-sized parts.

4 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Just to clarify, the flotation bags are part of Exploration Pack and the floatation module is part of USITools

well, we've got the float already in the heatshield part model, it just doesn't work anymore, since it was originally designed to use KM's flotation bag plugin.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Clarification regarding the SDHI flotation collar and the plugin/parts pack:

- Yes, I plan on pursuing that project, but not right now.

- No, it is not procedural.

- It is planned to be a separate standalone plugin/parts pack rather than just a bundled plugin, because I have witnessed first-hand certain users responding negatively to "mystery meat" plugins bundled with part packs (like in B9 Aerospace).

- The SDHI flotation collar mesh and animations will remain built into the part model.

49 minutes ago, Dux Aquila said:

reactivate this mod could help with the inflatable parts

I don't think you understand.

The SDHI flotation collar originally used the KM Special Parts plugin, but it has now been discontinued and nobody plans to revive the plugin.

Also, the replacement version @Starwaster are working on (at a lower priority) will have better features and less bloat compared to KM Special Parts.

After speaking with @Ven regarding compatibility with his Stock Parts Revamp, he and I agreed that it wasn't worth our time to make it work.

Therefore, the plan is for the SDHI Clamp-O-Tron model itself to revert back to the stock Clamp-O-Tron model, while leaving Ven's Clamp-O-Tron untouched.

8 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

is there a possibility CxA's APAS with a parachute will be included in the future?

I'm going to draw the line here and say no.

You might only be just requesting one new docking port variant, but that could set the precedent for other people to request many other niche third-party docking ports as well, which digs deep into whatever development and maintenance time available.

I'm assuming that your and the revamp stocking ports will be compatible? I like the revamp, but I can't get the parachute-equipped Mk16-XXL to dock to anything, it doesn't have the option to retract the bumper. Too bad we couldn't have your port with the revamp bumper added, as long as the work together I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, mostlydave said:

I'm assuming that your and the revamp stocking ports will be compatible? I like the revamp, but I can't get the parachute-equipped Mk16-XXL to dock to anything, it doesn't have the option to retract the bumper. Too bad we couldn't have your port with the revamp bumper added, as long as the work together I'll be happy.

As per my previous post, Ven and I agreed not to attempt compatibility.

11 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

Sorry, I meant is there a way to use Ven's pack, but keep the sdhi parachute docking port  from this mod?

That was precisely what Ven and I agreed on in my second-to-last post.

I'm working on it, so please be patient.

14 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

Sorry, I meant is there a way to use Ven's pack, but keep the sdhi parachute docking port  from this mod?

You could delete Ven's version of the docking port and restore the original stock port. Then you can have both mods right now.

OK, I didn't mean to seem impatient, I thought maybe it was as easy as just deleting a file out of Ven's pack. 

I tried deleting, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\VenStockRevamp\Part Bin\Para_Docking_Port.cfg, but that didn't seem to do it. Do you know which file I need to delete?

2 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

is there a KSPedia page that shows your mod?  you have a few vey nice images that would be a great addition to the KSPedia but I do not see them in there.  Are they not in, or am I just blind?

There are no KSPedia entries for SDHI SMS, and I don't plan on adding them.

Most of the picture you saw were probably just promotional flyers or in-flight screenshots, nothing really worth adding to KSPedia.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.