[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

On 5/23/2016 at 10:22 PM, sumghai said:

@gamerscircle, the maximum deployment altitude for the drogue is 12.5km, but if the staging icon for the chute is white, it sounds like it should be safe to deploy (speed and altitude-wise).

Could you please post a screenshot of your craft before and after drogue parachute deployment, as well as the log displayed when you press the F3 key?

Here is the screen shot and sorry, I didn't press the F3 key , hope this helps.  If you need anything else, let me know.

http://imgur.com/tW9eBdN

@sumghai BDB has also been experiencing issues with parachutes pulling too hard, stretching out the joint connections and then breaking them. I have been unable to replicate it on my end and for some people it's inconsistent. I am starting to wonder if it's something to do with the implementation of parachutes in the new engine or something. In any case, it seems like it might be a more general parachute bug and not simply an issue directly with your mod. I was able to 'fix' it by increasing the node size and joint strength on the parts that connect to the parachute.

@sumghai

Hi,

I can't seem to dock with the chuted docking port ("classic" model). It seems the "bumper" is deployed and cannot be retracted? Attempting to dock with a target, once in magnet range, they attract, and stick, but the ports dont engage - with the vanilla ports, the same thing happens, but when you retract the bumpers, the ports are able to come into contact and dock. Am I doing something wrong? Installed incorrectly? I used CKAN though.

Thanks!

The bumper things are new to me, just back into KSP recently, last played v.1.0 I think.

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

Here is the screen shot and sorry, I didn't press the F3 key , hope this helps.  If you need anything else, let me know.

http://imgur.com/tW9eBdN

Aha! I know exactly why you're having issues.

Your parachute is indirectly stacked to the pod using a probe core, which has a very weak joint breaking strength. Remove the probe core*, and the connection will be much more resilient.

*I used to do this myself back in KSP 0.25, but I now apply a custom MM patch to allow the Mk1-2 Pod to be used unmanned

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

I can't seem to dock with the chuted docking port ("classic" model). It seems the "bumper" is deployed and cannot be retracted? Attempting to dock with a target, once in magnet range, they attract, and stick, but the ports dont engage - with the vanilla ports, the same thing happens, but when you retract the bumpers, the ports are able to come into contact and dock. Am I doing something wrong? Installed incorrectly? I used CKAN though.

I don't recall putting any sort of bumper on the Clamp-O-Tron - could you please provide a screenshot?

Found an issue in 3.1 with 1.0.5.1024:

I built a SDHI stack using the instructions listed in the wiki. I then built a rocket out of KW rocketry and AIES. Then, I decided to give my ship a test launch. Once I got up to an altitude between 6km and 9km, the ship suddenly flew to the top of the camera view, giving the impression that the ship is flying out of my field of view. This issue makes flying the ship extremely hard.

For reference you can go to the question I just posted in "technical support: modded installs" which also lists examples of the same issue encountered by other players.

57 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

Found an issue in 3.1 with 1.0.5.1024:

I built a SDHI stack using the instructions listed in the wiki. I then built a rocket out of KW rocketry and AIES. Then, I decided to give my ship a test launch. Once I got up to an altitude between 6km and 9km, the ship suddenly flew to the top of the camera view, giving the impression that the ship is flying out of my field of view. This issue makes flying the ship extremely hard.

For reference you can go to the question I just posted in "technical support: modded installs" which also lists examples of the same issue encountered by other players.

I'm sorry, but I only provide support for the latest release (SDHI SMS v3.1.1 for KSP 1.1.2+).

That being said, the camera behaviour you observed appears to be related to an old issue reported in the RealChutes thread, which @stupid_chris resolved in a more recent update.

@Delta_8930, I haven't had a chance to re-examine your issue last weekend, but to help diagnose the problem:

- I assume you're using the (experimental) SplashdownHandler plugin included from here?:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmd9uqoq5j7akg9/SDHI-patch-1.1.zip?dl=1

- Does your GameData/SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield/part.cfg contain the following comment?:

// Note: airbag animation name is SDHI_heatshield_airbag_inflate

-

22 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

I have the splashdown handler folder in my Gamedata, but I can't find that line anywhere in the heatshield cfg file.

In that case, you'll need to redownload the latest KSP 1.1.2-compatible update to SDHI SMS (v.3.1.1).

On 24-5-2016 at 10:23 PM, sumghai said:

I don't recall putting any sort of bumper on the Clamp-O-Tron - could you please provide a screenshot?

He probably has ven's stock revamp installed. That would cause issues as both mods "@overide" the standard docking port. 

Incidentally could  you cook up an RO config that makes a separate version of your parachute equiped docking port and a duplicate of the stock capsule? It would be neat if we could use both mods ad the same time.

Edited by KaptnKiwi
Removed irrelevant text from quote.

On 5/24/2016 at 9:23 PM, sumghai said:

1 hour ago, KaptnKiwi said:

He probably has ven's stock revamp installed. That would cause issues as both mods "@overide" the standard docking port. 

Incidentally could  you cook up an RO config that makes a separate version of your parachute equiped docking port and a duplicate of the stock capsule? It would be neat if we could use both mods ad the same time.

Thats exactly right. I did a stupid thing and installed a bunch of mods straight of the bat without playing since 1.0 so I thought all the pretty stock parts were just new stock parts.

Sorry, false alarm!

I made a note on Ven's page about the incompatibility.

On 5/24/2016 at 10:23 PM, sumghai said:

Aha! I know exactly why you're having issues.

Your parachute is indirectly stacked to the pod using a probe core, which has a very weak joint breaking strength. Remove the probe core*, and the connection will be much more resilient.

*I used to do this myself back in KSP 0.25, but I now apply a custom MM patch to allow the Mk1-2 Pod to be used unmanned

What I do to get this same effect, if I may explain, is set a girder or something on the top attachment node of the Mk1-2 pod to keep it busy. Then I'll radially attach a probe core as near to the middle as I can, and then offset it down into the body of the pod. After that it's a simple matter of removing the girder and replacing it with a docking port of your choice. I'm not sure if switching between node/radial attach is a stock feature since I use Editor Extensions, but hopefully that helps.

Hey, just wanna pop in with an unbelievably trivial OCD bug report sorta thing, though I'm almost sure this wouldn't qualify as a bug in any sane mind.

Peekaboo!
ADD009943D8FB6019D466CCCD4C674E981C3D810

If you can't quite tell, there's a small gap between the fairing panels.

2 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Hey, just wanna pop in with an unbelievably trivial OCD bug report sorta thing, though I'm almost sure this wouldn't qualify as a bug in any sane mind.

This was a known issue since the 1.0.5 colliders rework - originally, closing the gap would cause the fairings to intersect and explode during jettisoning.

I've just pushed a commit to the GitHub repo, which closes up the gap while leaving the colliders unaffected. Try this download now:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/71aee77c89df6816094141b7873318eb2bd18ff9.zip

7 hours ago, sumghai said:

This was a known issue since the 1.0.5 colliders rework - originally, closing the gap would cause the fairings to intersect and explode during jettisoning.

I've just pushed a commit to the GitHub repo, which closes up the gap while leaving the colliders unaffected. Try this download now:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/archive/71aee77c89df6816094141b7873318eb2bd18ff9.zip

My bad. I hadn't touched KSP in some months. Thanks, I'll try that.

Edit: Yep, that fixed it. Merci beaucoup!

Edited by Bomoo

Hey, so I'd like to report some weirdness regarding LES/avionics ring interaction. To begin, I'm using the KSPX LES (sorry I'm a hipster who doesn't like the newfangled SDHI one), so, as I'm sure you remember, it'll want to pull to the right when activating, jerking the pod clear of the rocket underneath it. However, when using the latest version of SDHI, some weirdness has cropped up with the standalone avionics ring. The SDHI service module + avionics ring part does allow the LES to behave normally, but the standalone avionics ring, for whatever reason, makes the LES pull the pod maybe 10-20 degrees to the left instead of the normal 30-40 degrees to the right. I've been doing quite a bit of testing trying to narrow down exactly what was causing this behaviour, and was able to narrow it down to, as I suggested, the standalone avionics ring.

Something with colliders, maybe? Or some inconsistency between the ejection force scripting between the two parts? Heck if I know. At any rate, like all my "bug" reports, it's nothing even remotely critical unless you're an OCD maniac.

On 18/06/2016 at 2:15 AM, Bomoo said:

Hey, so I'd like to report some weirdness regarding LES/avionics ring interaction. To begin, I'm using the KSPX LES (sorry I'm a hipster who doesn't like the newfangled SDHI one), so, as I'm sure you remember, it'll want to pull to the right when activating, jerking the pod clear of the rocket underneath it. However, when using the latest version of SDHI, some weirdness has cropped up with the standalone avionics ring. The SDHI service module + avionics ring part does allow the LES to behave normally, but the standalone avionics ring, for whatever reason, makes the LES pull the pod maybe 10-20 degrees to the left instead of the normal 30-40 degrees to the right. I've been doing quite a bit of testing trying to narrow down exactly what was causing this behaviour, and was able to narrow it down to, as I suggested, the standalone avionics ring.

Something with colliders, maybe? Or some inconsistency between the ejection force scripting between the two parts? Heck if I know. At any rate, like all my "bug" reports, it's nothing even remotely critical unless you're an OCD maniac.

To my knowledge, the standalone avionics ring colliders are configured identically to the ring segment on the full service module, so there shouldn't be much variation in behaviour.

1 hour ago, sumghai said:

To my knowledge, the standalone avionics ring colliders are configured identically to the ring segment on the full service module, so there shouldn't be much variation in behaviour.

Hrm. Could it be something to do with the decoupler forces?

I've tried troubleshooting and stripping virtually everything that could influence it away. The basic test build I'm working with is avionics ring, Mk1-2 pod, heat shield, clampotron (SDHI or stock doesn't seem to make a difference), pod cover, and KSPX LES. Pretty much the very basic setup prior to the introduction of your own LES. Replacing the avionics ring with the SDHI service module trunk fixes whatever's causing the screwy behaviour.

Assuming you're willing to look into this, please let me know if I can provide any additional information or media.

Edit: Okay, so new test is hacked gravity, no LES. Decouple action with trunk shoots the pod up vertically in a smooth straight motion. Decouple action with avionics ring consistently sends the pod spinning, suggesting the decouple force might be off-centre. Does that seem plausible?

Edited by Bomoo

@Bomoo - I'll look into that in the future.

In the meantime, I've discovered that the side fairings are having collision issues with the Service Module & Adapter... yet again. Decoupling the fairings at *any* altitude results in a very high probability of exploding parts, which I suspect is due to changes in the stock decoupler behaviour around KSP 1.0.5~1.1.

I'm working on a fix as I type, but it's been very frustrating so far, so no ETA on when that will be done.

• 2 weeks later...

This took a while, but I finally fixed the side fairing collision issues by reworking the meshes from scratch and adding automatically-staged hidden jettison solid rocket motors.

I also updated the parachute-equipped IACBM docking port to match the new model from the FusTek Station Parts dev thread.

I'll now need to fix up the documentation, the assembly instructions on the wiki, promotional pics etc - but the new release will definitely be out later this month!

V3.2 released - see first post for download link

3.2 - 8 July 2016
---------------------------

WARNING: This is a craft and save-breaking update; it is recommended you abort / recover existing SDHI craft before installing this update

Changes / Fixes:
 - Compatibility Patch for KSP 1.1.3
 - All models have been re-scaled to actual size in-game
 - Side fairings have been overhauled
 	 - They now split into thirds rather than halves, and include built-in solid rocket jettison motors to help push the panels away cleanly after separation
 - The parachute-equipped IACBM docking port has been updated to match the new design from FusTek Station Parts
 	 - The ports will now enforce docking orientation angles at 90 degree increments
 - Updated support for tg626's Kerbal Optical Alignment System (KOAS) mod, previously known as the Docking Target mod
- This adds an inline docking camera and target to the parachute-equipped SDHI Clamp-o-Tron docking port

As always, please be patient while the CKAN listing gets updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.