[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Wait... what?? I've never heard my SM explode!

I don't use DR or FAR, do you normally use them? I ask because the only possible fates for a jettisoned part AFAIK is either to magically disappear because it's too far away (In atmos), to orbit forever (it got out of atmo before getting to far away), or to slam into the ground.

Whoopsie!

The SM only blows up consistently when DR is installed - sorry for the confusion.

I might give the + Normal approach a try.

I haven't tried every possible permutation, but it seems that if I eject the SM with a periapsis of ANYTHING positive (not just yours, any SM) while outside the atmosphere, then it just continues to orbit. Even if it's orbit is 100m x 80km, it just keeps going unless I "fly" it - then and only then does the atmo drag apply and drop it into Kerbin...

However, if I have a positive Appo and jettison the SM below 70km, then it does disappear on it's own as if it crashed/burned up.

As a result if I'm trying to do a skip entry or just a shallow one to limit G forces, I end up with the SM in perpetual orbit unless I jettison it within the atmosphere.

Limitation of the game I suppose....

Annnnd just now it looks like the sepratron idea didn't work... SM is in an eccentric orbit...

Back to the drawing board...

If you make sure that your periapsis is 22999 meters or lower when you decouple the SM, it will automatically be destroyed by KSP even if you don't have DRE.

Hmmm.... There might be something wrong with the Service Module's MFTs... Some weird things happen to it's fuel capacities... It's all nice and right in the VAB, but once it gets loaded on the launchpad, it gets all messed up...

First, here's a shot of the "Oreo 1" MPCV. Note the weird quantities for the resources.

0bPVdSb.png

The MPCV ("Oreo 2") on its' left is the same case.

The resource distribution seems to have worked for "Oreo 3" however:

sugOB6e.png

Lifted up with the same platform and in the sequence their numbering would imply. The 3 MPCVs are identical. Oreo 3 has the IACBM version of the docking port, but other than that it's the same- the resource amounts in the Service Module were put in when "Oreo 1" was launched and I haven't changed them between launches. Fortunately, the SLS-LV-G500B platform has an interim cryogenic propulsion stage. That and the "unlimited fuel" cheat let me complete Oreo 1 and 2's missions without further complications.

But seriously- any idea what might be wrong with the tanks in the Service Module?

Hmmm.... There might be something wrong with the Service Module's MFTs... Some weird things happen to it's fuel capacities... It's all nice and right in the VAB, but once it gets loaded on the launchpad, it gets all messed up...

First, here's a shot of the "Oreo 1" MPCV. Note the weird quantities for the resources.

http://i.imgur.com/0bPVdSb.png

The MPCV ("Oreo 2") on its' left is the same case.

The resource distribution seems to have worked for "Oreo 3" however:

http://i.imgur.com/sugOB6e.png

Lifted up with the same platform and in the sequence their numbering would imply. The 3 MPCVs are identical. Oreo 3 has the IACBM version of the docking port, but other than that it's the same- the resource amounts in the Service Module were put in when "Oreo 1" was launched and I haven't changed them between launches. Fortunately, the SLS-LV-G500B platform has an interim cryogenic propulsion stage. That and the "unlimited fuel" cheat let me complete Oreo 1 and 2's missions without further complications.

But seriously- any idea what might be wrong with the tanks in the Service Module?

Sounds like a conflict with another mod.

You should post a log file.

output_log.txt (Windows)

player.log (Linux / Mac)

Oh? 22999 is a magic number then? That might explain a few things, I'll have to adjust me reentry profile for this a test it out.

Thanks!

Well, it actually is 23000. It just has to be lower than that. I believe that 23000 m is also when your view changes from Free to Orbital, if you're in vessel view when your periapsis goes above that threshold.

Looked at it a bit but I'm still not sure what's happening.

I do see Interstellar complaining about duplicate Oxygen resources and it trying to rename it to Oxidizer, which technically already exists as well. Not sure what relevance that has though.

I see errors from kconfigdocumentation which I have no idea what it does

I thought it was actually pressure based?

I don't think so. On Kerbin, it seems like 23000 meters is the boundary. Of course, it could still be pressure-based, just tuned to around 23000 meters. Please note that I have done no rigorous testing on this, I just know that crafts with a periapsis of more than 23 kilometers will not be destroyed, and a few hundred meters lower they will be destroyed. I just kinda assumed that 23 km would be the border. I might be off by a few hundred meters.

I'm having an issue with the power generator and fusebox. I'm not shure if its a problem here or with fusebox, but I'll let you know about it.

With the generator turned off fusebox is reporting power generation, although the charge in the batterys does go down.

I'm having an issue with the power generator and fusebox. I'm not shure if its a problem here or with fusebox, but I'll let you know about it.

With the generator turned off fusebox is reporting power generation, although the charge in the batterys does go down.

Thanks for the heads-up - my understanding is that the ModuleGenerator is a bit wonky at times, but there's not much I could have done about it, as it is merely a stock PartModule from the base game.

Still, good to hear that it has been (mostly) sorted.

hey guys, i have a problem getting all the parts show up, ive downloaded i guess everything you need for it, but the fueltank and decoupelar( sorry dont know how to write it) dont show up, and the parachute docking mechanism doesnt work as well, soo does anybody know what is wrong??

Let's see...

- Are you in sandbox, science or career mode? The latter two gamemodes require you to unlock parts via the tech tree.

- Have you installed the latest versions of all the required dependencies? For instance, the paradocks require the RealChute plugin, and the decoupler requires Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin. All the required dependencies (plus download links) are clearly listed in the first post, on CurseForge and GitHub.

Thanks for the heads-up - my understanding is that the ModuleGenerator is a bit wonky at times, but there's not much I could have done about it, as it is merely a stock PartModule from the base game.

Still, good to hear that it has been (mostly) sorted.

Let's see...

- Are you in sandbox, science or career mode? The latter two gamemodes require you to unlock parts via the tech tree.

- Have you installed the latest versions of all the required dependencies? For instance, the paradocks require the RealChute plugin, and the decoupler requires Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin. All the required dependencies (plus download links) are clearly listed in the first post, on CurseForge and GitHub.

yes im sure that i downloaded the latest versions of all the required dependenties, cause i downloaded sdhi for the first time and i didnt have all de other required mods, and im in sandbox. and those mod of the real chut and animated decouplers did work if i only installed then without sdhi

It can be worth re-downloading a mod again. Sometimes a download will abort prematurely, leaving a "short" .zip - and Windows will fail to notify users of the error! The upshot being that only a part of the files in a mod will actually be installed.

It can be worth re-downloading a mod again. Sometimes a download will abort prematurely, leaving a "short" .zip - and Windows will fail to notify users of the error! The upshot being that only a part of the files in a mod will actually be installed.

Use a download manager instead.

So after a lot of testing, I have to say, with all due respect, that I really do not care for the new clamp version of the SDHI service module parts. While I don't dispute that it's an impressive feat of modding, I feel the parts look much better with the simple and clean look of 1.9 and earlier. Allow me to add that I understand that you do this primarily for your own enjoyment, and I'm, of course, grateful for you publishing this mod at all. With all that in mind, I'll stick to using the clampless 1.9, and express the hope that one of these new updates won't break it. Thanks for all your awesome work and I further hope you'll decide to keep it going.

Quick question regarding the heat shield:

I've noticed that during reentry (I use 0.24.5 btw) that the ablative shield "life bar" gets depleted and reaches zero before I complete the reentry, but it doesn't explode... it just stays there and keeps shielding my craft from reentry heating. Isn't it supposed to fail after the shield ablates away; exposing my craft to the heat directly?

I've noticed that during reentry (I use 0.24.5 btw) that the ablative shield "life bar" gets depleted and reaches zero before I complete the reentry, but it doesn't explode... it just stays there and keeps shielding my craft from reentry heating. Isn't it supposed to fail after the shield ablates away; exposing my craft to the heat directly?

AFAIR it only explodes when it overheats, and overheats more easily if the ablatives go away. TBH I've found achieving that in stock KSP on Kerbin improbable.

AFAIR it only explodes when it overheats, and overheats more easily if the ablatives go away. TBH I've found achieving that in stock KSP on Kerbin improbable.

I use DREC with stock Kerbin and default heating factors / shockwave exponents - I find that in a worst-case scenario, I complete re-entry with a minimum of 300 units of ablative shielding remaining. So I'm not sure how TeeGee has set up his install to result in this peculiar situation.

(ASIDE: I am not aware of any version of KSP that is 0.24.5 - perhaps you meant 0.24.2?)

I use DREC with stock Kerbin and default heating factors / shockwave exponents - I find that in a worst-case scenario, I complete re-entry with a minimum of 300 units of ablative shielding remaining. So I'm not sure how TeeGee has set up his install to result in this peculiar situation.

(ASIDE: I am not aware of any version of KSP that is 0.24.5 - perhaps you meant 0.24.2?)

Well I was in the middle of my reentry descent and my ablative shield was at 0. I survived and so did the heat shield.

wkBjgWb.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.