[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

I've got a question that doesn't directly relate to this mod, but I've seen the pictures of other parachutes in game like the one in images from the OP. The parachutes aren't over lapping, and behave like you would expect in reality. How do you accomplish that, that isn't how they behave by default in stock KSP.. is there someway to tell the parachutes to have collision mesh after it deploys?

wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'v been having.

The drogue chute for the IACBM wont deploy resulting in too much G-force when the mains deploy and the whole IACBM falls off causing the capsule to crash into the ground. Im using FAR, deadly re-entry and real chutes if that helps. Its a really good mod but its a shame that I cant use some of the parts.

Thanks

Look in the Deadly Reentry thread. I linked to an updated file for RealChute in one of my recent posts. Maybe a page back from the end. Download that file and replace the one in your DeadlyReentry folder with it.

I've got a question that doesn't directly relate to this mod, but I've seen the pictures of other parachutes in game like the one in images from the OP. The parachutes aren't over lapping, and behave like you would expect in reality. How do you accomplish that, that isn't how they behave by default in stock KSP.. is there someway to tell the parachutes to have collision mesh after it deploys?

No you can't. Some talk was done awhile back about making chutes drift away from each other but it never came to pass.

@Everyone I confirmed the issue with KJR. I suspect the problem to be that KJR doesn't know that AnimatedDecouplers is a decoupler. But since it was working before, maybe something else.

As a workaround: after decoupling, quicksave then quickload. That will work.

Update on the decoupler issue. That issue is fixed in KJR 3.0.2. It's been mentioned on the KJR thread but I wasn't sure it was the same problem so I didn't want to say anything else until I had a chance to try with KJR 3.0.2

It's not released yet but you can still grab the DLL from the Github site: https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/tree/master/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin

So I took a look at the .cfg file for the docking port parachutes and found the values in which they should fully deploy (700 m it says), and in game it changes to 2000 m, and since I would be too fast to deploy the drogue parachutes to deploy, the main parachutes would take over and after predeploying, they would fully deploy in <2 seconds, going from ~200 m/s to ~6 m/s (and g-force going to the red zone).

Is something conflicting with the SDHI pack to cause this issue?

So I took a look at the .cfg file for the docking port parachutes and found the values in which they should fully deploy (700 m it says), and in game it changes to 2000 m, and since I would be too fast to deploy the drogue parachutes to deploy, the main parachutes would take over and after predeploying, they would fully deploy in <2 seconds, going from ~200 m/s to ~6 m/s (and g-force going to the red zone).

Is something conflicting with the SDHI pack to cause this issue?

I told you the only thing I know of that would do that.

Question: Is this the same craft as before? Changes to RealChute configs don't affect existing ships. And I think they don't affect craft files either.

So any existing craft are going to have be landed somehow and any craft files you will have to remove the chute parts (the SDHI port in this case) and delete it. Then replace it with a new one. (from 'inventory' as it were)

I told you the only thing I know of that would do that.

Question: Is this the same craft as before? Changes to RealChute configs don't affect existing ships. And I think they don't affect craft files either.

So any existing craft are going to have be landed somehow and any craft files you will have to remove the chute parts (the SDHI port in this case) and delete it. Then replace it with a new one. (from 'inventory' as it were)

It is the same craft as before, but I don't think it should be affected since it's a saved craft.

It is the same craft as before, but I don't think it should be affected since it's a saved craft.

All pre-existing craft with Real Chute parts (the SDHI Paradock uses RC) will have the same chute parameters they launched with.

All saved craft have the same chute parameters they were saved with.

Meaning:

If you launched it and you found out the chute has problems

OR

You saved the craft when the chute had problems

THEN

No files you download will help that craft. (any files that change how the chutes work will only affect newly launched craft)

No files you edit will help that craft. (any edit changes will only affect newly placed chute parts)

If it is a craft in flight then you are going to have to manually change that chute's parameters by right clicking on it in-flight and clicking Get Info. Then change the sliders until its predeployment / deployment numbers are where they need to be for you to land that craft.

If it was a saved craft then you either need to fix the chute part's chute parameters OR you need to delete the chute and replace it with a newly placed chute part.

I really enjoy this mod, but I am having a problem with the docking between the IACBM & COT Para. I toggled passive/active, controlled from both docking ports to try to dock with the other, and they simply won't dock to one another. They just collide and bounce off each other.

I'm hoping this is operator error since it seems like no one else has mentioned this problem and I just can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Pictures here

Ship setup:

ALCOR's docking port is the IACBM, which was connected to a stack decoupler housing the cmd module MK1-2's LV-909. I set it up to have the IACBM docking port decouple from the TR-2V stack decoupler (which will decouple from the CM's 909 later). I hit "decouple node," the docking port and stack decoupler separate, and I RCS'd the CM away from the lander with no problem. Then I turn around, get practically perfect alignment, and bounce off on contact. I'm also noticing that when I tell the IACBM to turn its lights off, they won't turn off. Possibly related.

Running KSP 0.90

Relevant Mods in scenario:

animated decouplers

aset

crossfeedenabler

JSI's RPM

navyfish's dock align

real chute

SDHI (duh)

shipmanifest

I really enjoy this mod, but I am having a problem with the docking between the IACBM & COT Para. I toggled passive/active, controlled from both docking ports to try to dock with the other, and they simply won't dock to one another. They just collide and bounce off each other.

I'm hoping this is operator error since it seems like no one else has mentioned this problem and I just can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Those ports are not compatible by design. You can't dock with them. Two different designs

As Starwaster has noted, you're trying to dock two spacecraft using two completely different docking systems:

- The SDHI parachute-equipped Clamp-O-Tron (the one with the yellow stripe) is designed to work with the stock Clamp-O-Tron docking ports.

- The SDHI parachute-equipped IACBM (the one with the grey stripe) is designed to work with the IACBM dockings ports from my FusTek Station Parts pack.

As Starwaster has noted, you're trying to dock two spacecraft using two completely different docking systems:

- The SDHI parachute-equipped Clamp-O-Tron (the one with the yellow stripe) is designed to work with the stock Clamp-O-Tron docking ports.

- The SDHI parachute-equipped IACBM (the one with the grey stripe) is designed to work with the IACBM dockings ports from my FusTek Station Parts pack.

Good to know, guess ill have to get the fustek pack then because I like the IACBM too much to not use it. Thanks!

Is there any way to reduce the SM decoupler force? As soon as I activate it, the heat shield and parachute / docking port blow off from the jolt.

edit: tried using tweakable everything, but that didn't work

another edit: I was messing around with some mods, and decided to try the 32 bit version of Animated Decouplers instead - and couldn't see any difference (umbilical cover animates correctly in both cases) - do they really need to be separate mods?

Edited by S4qFBxkFFg

Is there any way to reduce the SM decoupler force? As soon as I activate it, the heat shield and parachute / docking port blow off from the jolt.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you post pictures or a gameplay video to show us what the problem is?

edit: tried using tweakable everything, but that didn't work

Don't use TweakableEverything - it causes decoupler FX to run constantly in the VAB/SPH editor, amongst other problems.

another edit: I was messing around with some mods, and decided to try the 32 bit version of Animated Decouplers instead - and couldn't see any difference (umbilical cover animates correctly in both cases) - do they really need to be separate mods?

That's a question for Starwaster, who authored that plugin.

Ok, so i encountered a bug when i used the .25 version of this in ksp .25- when i tried to disconnect the pod from sdhi via the right-click menu, the menu acted as though it did so, but it would not disconnect

Some of us experienced similar problems in 0.90.0 - the cause was an incompatibility with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

ferram4 published an unofficial dev version of the KJR on GitHub that fixed the decoupler problem recently, so I suggest you upgrade your game to 0.90.0, and install the KJR fix.

sumghai I am having an issue in 0.90. I attach the paradocking port and the parachute is not showing up in my staging?? The chute is apparently installed because if I press space it deploys or if I physically click the chute I am arm/deploy it. But I have no chute that I can move around in my staging stack??

I have realchute, and the three dependencies although I could not fine 0.90 versions of them and your link is to like version 0.24 of them. animated docking ports is at like 0.24.2 and the klockheed martian stuff is no longer actively supported.

Any ideas why I am not seeing the chute in the staging stack? Is there anything I am send to help debug (images, craft files, sfs files, etc). just let me know.

Thanks

Animated Decouplers is my work. But I'm not even sure I understand the question. You tried the 32 bit version of Animated Decouplers instead of WHAT? Instead of the 64 bit version of that mod? Does what have to be separate mods? Please be precise because I can't even tell from that if you actually have a problem....

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you post pictures or a gameplay video to show us what the problem is?

This is pretty much what happened:

1 everything OK

2 about to decouple

3 after decoupling

4 F3 screen

(Tried with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement as well, same result.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Animated Decouplers is my work. But I'm not even sure I understand the question. You tried the 32 bit version of Animated Decouplers instead of WHAT? Instead of the 64 bit version of that mod? Does what have to be separate mods? Please be precise because I can't even tell from that if you actually have a problem....

No - I don't think this is a problem - I run 64 bit KSP (on Linux) so originally used the 64 bit version of Animated Decouplers - I was just surprised that using the 32 bit version instead didn't seem to result in any detectable differences.

I was trying a lot of random things to fix the decoupling "jolt" problem, this was just one of them.

No - I don't think this is a problem - I run 64 bit KSP (on Linux) so originally used the 64 bit version of Animated Decouplers - I was just surprised that using the 32 bit version instead didn't seem to result in any detectable differences.

I was trying a lot of random things to fix the decoupling "jolt" problem, this was just one of them.

I see.

Ok, the 64 bit version was created specifically to counter a decoupling bug that was common to the 64 bit client at that time. I don't know if the bug was applicable to all 64 bit clients or just the windows version. (which is known to be very buggy)

Nor am I aware as to whether this bug still currently exists.

In any event it is normal for the two to exhibit the same behavior and I would probably consider it a bug if one of them behaved differently than the other regardless of what client you use.

OK, I found out this problem with the heat shield and docking ring falling off stops happening after removing all mods except SDHI.

Time to do the reinstall-some,-check,-reinstall-some-more dance.

I don't think this matters with regards to the specific problem you're having, but you're not using the right heat shield there. That heat shield is from the DRE pack, which is fine, but it's not a good fit with the SDHI service module, which has its own heat shield. It's better to use the SDHI one because other parts like the boost cover will fit better.

Is it possible to request a version of this mod that doesn't modify the existing Mk1-2 Command Pod or re-use existing models/textures, and instead adds a new parts/models entirely? I'm using this mod along with Ven's Stock Part Revamp, and the two aren't playing nice, the main conflicts being the command pod and the docking port.

Some of us experienced similar problems in 0.90.0 - the cause was an incompatibility with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

ferram4 published an unofficial dev version of the KJR on GitHub that fixed the decoupler problem recently, so I suggest you upgrade your game to 0.90.0, and install the KJR fix.

Ok, thanks!

I don't think this matters with regards to the specific problem you're having, but you're not using the right heat shield there. That heat shield is from the DRE pack, which is fine, but it's not a good fit with the SDHI service module, which has its own heat shield. It's better to use the SDHI one because other parts like the boost cover will fit better.

"Er, are you sure we've put this together right? We had to stretch the umbilicals a bit, and the umbilical cover isn't flush with the pod."

"Of course! What other way could it go together? 'Pointy bits up, bells down, black sides down.' We're not making those mistakes again."

"I don't know... Maybe if we had a thicker heat shield..."

"Nonsense! - It says 'Heat Shield for Mk 1-2 Pod' - look at the label!"

"I guess you're right - let's call Gene and Wernher and tell them it's ready."

Huh. I did a stupid. :rolleyes:

The heat shield was the problem - when I use the SDHI shield the SM decoupling works fine, regardless of what other mods I use.

Thanks!

Is it possible to request a version of this mod that doesn't modify the existing Mk1-2 Command Pod or re-use existing models/textures, and instead adds a new parts/models entirely? I'm using this mod along with Ven's Stock Part Revamp, and the two aren't playing nice, the main conflicts being the command pod and the docking port.

The reskin of the pod is fine (I have tested it against Ven's Stock Part Revamp), but I would suggest doing a reinstall Stock Part Revamp but without the clamp-o-tron model and config. That way, SDHI will play nicely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.