[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Sorry I didn't mention it was a clean install. I assumed that was standard (isolate variables). I was only hoping someone had seen this before and could save me debugging time. I will track it down.

BTW... on a different topic, I see you have a link to a post about fairings. I'm not sure if my Old School Fairings mod might be useful to you, but it's possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you go into KSP_DATA/output_log.txt (as opposed to KSP.log), there will be more detail on what exactly is going on (it gives the full stack trace, as opposed to the one-liners in what you've posted).

I posted my LOG because the output_log was identical. There was no additional information. It was a lot more spammy though. Lots of useless text and blank lines.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the KMbouyancy modules. I'll need to recompile that module and add debug code to know why.

- - - Updated - - -

Recompiling the DLL fixed the problem. The last publicly available DLL must have been compiled against 0.90 or something, and in this rare case that mattered.

Edited by Felbourn

BTW... on a different topic, I see you have a link to a post about fairings. I'm not sure if my Old School Fairings mod might be useful to you, but it's possible.

Fairing issues related to SDHI SMS have already been resolved a while back, thanks to Starwaster's AnimatedDecouplers plugin that automatically updates the shielded state of ModuleCargoBay when part-based fairing panels are decoupled.

If, however, you're referring to the SDHI AeroFairings WIP project, then I'll note that I'm instead talking with Starwaster and MOARdV on having a bespoke standalone plugin made to handle both discrete-increment procedural fairing generation and aero shielding.

It's the KMbouyancy modules. I'll need to recompile that module and add debug code to know why.

KMbuoyancy is from the Klockheed Martian Special Parts plugin, which is no longer being maintained, and so may not be compatible with KSP 1.0.x. I'll need to find a replacement plugin to support the heat shield floatation collar feature instead (See issue #61 on the SDHI SMS GitHub repo).

I posted my LOG because the output_log was identical. There was no additional information. It was a lot more spammy though. Lots of useless text and blank lines.

Sorry, but no. output_log.txt is not the same as ksp.log. A lot of critical stack information is stripped from ksp.log and it really would make it easier to see what's going on with your issue.

There's just not enough to go by in that snippet from ksp.log

@Starwaster: Thanks for the reply. While what you say may be true in some instances, trust me when I say it was effectively identical. There was no additional information in the stack. I'm not saying most people should not show their output logs, because they should. There's no way I can justify what I am saying about MY log without explaining my experience, so forgive what might sound a little arrogant in plain text here: I'm a Technical Director for a major video game company. I have 30 years of game programming experience. One of my games is a Unity game so I know about the output logs, and have seen far more stack dumps for my own games than I care to admit. My log had no additional useful information. All that said, it's moot. I recompiled the KMbouyancy module and everything worked again, so the error was mine in thinking the module had already been recompiled for 1.0.4 which it apparently had not. Everything is fine now. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys--is anyone getting the "stowed" error again when deploying the fairingless engine? All my designs that previously worked fine broke at some point since the last update (I've been trying to switch over to CKAN, as annoying as it is). Getting the version from the thread didn't actually change anything, as did reattaching the engine and trying again. Does anyone know what might be the cause?

EDIT: Doh, figured it out after some experimentation--apparently, the side fairings have to be discarded in a separate stage as the fairing base and the engine. Doh again. Hopefully anyone else with the same issue will see this post.

Edited by Synthesis

Hey guys--is anyone getting the "stowed" error again when deploying the fairingless engine? All my designs that previously worked fine broke at some point since the last update (I've been trying to switch over to CKAN, as annoying as it is). Getting the version from the thread didn't actually change anything, as did reattaching the engine and trying again. Does anyone know what might be the cause?

EDIT: Doh, figured it out after some experimentation--apparently, the side fairings have to be discarded in a separate stage as the fairing base and the engine. Doh again. Hopefully anyone else with the same issue will see this post.

Did you read the assembly instructions on the GitHub wiki?

Thanks for this heat shield part! Remember a few posts back I was commenting on how I was getting it to work... well here I am in RSS with a full scale Mercury + inflatable heat shield thanks to your mod. I resized it and offset it a little, and it worked great.

tWamFvc.png

9zXAHDk.png

V7q7UXA.png

IVzT5jo.png

I should have increased the buoyancy to make it float higher, but I was more than happy with this results anyway.

Thanks for the mod. I am having a problem with it. The mod seems to break my radial staging. I have perfect staging on any other craft except for the one that the modded parts are being used. The 2 SRBs should detach at the same time, yet I have to keep pressing space bar to decouple both. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for the mod. I am having a problem with it. The mod seems to break my radial staging. I have perfect staging on any other craft except for the one that the modded parts are being used. The 2 SRBs should detach at the same time, yet I have to keep pressing space bar to decouple both. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Having the same problem here. I'll try it with in vanilla KSP with only the SMS tomorrow to see if the problem goes away. One weird thing though: This radial decoupling bug only showed up AFTER I removed FAR from my game to try and solve a totally different problem that I'm in the process of troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just installed this beautiful looking set of parts and am having some problems. I thought it might be a mod conflict, so I did a clean install and only installed dependencies for SDHI and am still having issues in Sandbox following the Github Wiki instructions. I can not get the Abort action group to fire properly, the LES will not fire at the same time the module decouples, I have to hit backspace twice. During staging the boost cover will not properly eject from the rocket and the LES won't fire, it just clips through, even if I use CustomAction0. If I use CustomAction0 while on the launch pad the boost cover will fall right through the rocket and begin violently exploding underneath the launchpad until it either clips through the physics or pops back through the surface. I only have Module Manager 2.6.8, SDHI, RealChute, and Animated Decouplers installed. It didn't work in my backup career save using the KSPX LES or the stock one. Windows 7 running 32 bit KSP steam install. Everything else in the pack seems to work fine, the module decoupler, side fairings, modded lv909 and docking port, and the service module all work very well. Am I just doing something wrong?

I can confirm the radial staging issue of TerLoki and the myriad of issues described by thescaryone. The biggest change between the last version and this version I can think of is the attempt at using these parts as cargo bay to shield whatever is underneath. I suspect that having engines on the same part as a cargo bay part module may be causing weirdness.

TerLoki et al.,

Do your logs have any errors from AnimatedDecouplers? There was a bug introduced in the latest release (1.2.0) that would cause issues for decouplers that lacked animations (which includes the SDHI aerofairing -- it has an animation, but the ModuleCargoBay points to an animation-less ModuleAnimatedDecoupler). I've made a PR with a fix, and Starwaster's accepted it, but there hasn't been a new release yet (I'm using a DLL that I compiled myself on my installs).

TerLoki et al.,

Do your logs have any errors from AnimatedDecouplers? There was a bug introduced in the latest release (1.2.0) that would cause issues for decouplers that lacked animations (which includes the SDHI aerofairing -- it has an animation, but the ModuleCargoBay points to an animation-less ModuleAnimatedDecoupler). I've made a PR with a fix, and Starwaster's accepted it, but there hasn't been a new release yet (I'm using a DLL that I compiled myself on my installs).

That doesn't sound like it would affect his SRB issue though... unless the SRB's are decoupling in the same stage as the SDHI fairing....?

In any case I'll try go get a new release out for Animated Decouplers, just haven't had a chance to lately.... (busy reworking-reworking-reworking Real Heat boiloff code)

@sumaghi

No worries. I love this mod. It has been in my install since basically forever. Take your time!

@Kerbas & Starwaster

I'll check the logs next time I play. I'm currently procrastinating a physics problem set (ironically over escape velocity). I think Kerbas may be onto something. If the radial decouplers also had the bug, then this could be a lead. I'm not sure if that would cause the squirrel-y clipping bug or peculiar staging though, I'm not familiar with animated decouplers. I'll get back to you on the results of log checking. Thanks for your work as always.

@sumaghi

No worries. I love this mod. It has been in my install since basically forever. Take your time!

@Kerbas & Starwaster

I'll check the logs next time I play. I'm currently procrastinating a physics problem set (ironically over escape velocity). I think Kerbas may be onto something. If the radial decouplers also had the bug, then this could be a lead. I'm not sure if that would cause the squirrel-y clipping bug or peculiar staging though, I'm not familiar with animated decouplers. I'll get back to you on the results of log checking. Thanks for your work as always.

Animated Decouplers are only used on a few parts in this mod:

The service module and service module adapter (for attaching to plain fuel tanks) which animate the umbilical connector while or before decoupling.

Also on the service module fairing even though it's not animated. The reason is that Animated Decouplers also provides support for cargo bays which allows the fairing to shield parts under it from the airstream.

And I thought the aeroshroud might have made use it, but looking at the part now, apparently not. (might be a good idea for it to as I put in some extra decoupling checks to cover weird scenarios shielded parts might stay shielded when they weren't supposed to... have to investigate that)

That doesn't sound like it would affect his SRB issue though... unless the SRB's are decoupling in the same stage as the SDHI fairing....?

In any case I'll try go get a new release out for Animated Decouplers, just haven't had a chance to lately.... (busy reworking-reworking-reworking Real Heat boiloff code)

I first encountered the bug on a big (RSS Moon) rocket with the Modular Rocket Systems LAS shroud (which has a ModuleAnimatedDecoupler but no SRBs). Between the size of the rocket and the error spam, the lag was so bad that I never got far enough in the launch to see if there was a problem with staging it.

FYI -- when I said "aerofairing" I meant the Boost Protective Cover -- I mixed up its part name ("Aeroshroud") somehow. That's also the part that TerLoki et al. have been having trouble with (not the fairing panels, which use the ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler, which was not affected by the bug). Sorry if I caused confusion.

I'll have the new release out today and that should fix the issue people are having.

Still have to finish putting the download together.

It's compiled and verified that Kerbas patch fixes it but I had to catch up on The Walking Dead which has me in need of grief counseling ;.;

Updated Animated Decouplers to version 1.2.1. Highly recommend you download this update. (expect CKAN will pick this up sometime today eventually)

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/releases/latest

Change Log

* Added extra checks for null references. (fixes certain issues in staging. i.e. only one of multiple symmetrical decouplers firing or one part of any staging group firing)

(thanks Kerbas Ad Astra, sorry for not releasing this sooner)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. Is this mod compatible with KSP 1.0.5.1028 ? Thank you !

Unfortunately, I have not been able to play the game* since February this year, so I can't do a compatibility check for you guys. Sorry!

*Waiting to buy a new laptop

Unfortunately, I have not been able to play the game* since February this year, so I can't do a compatibility check for you guys. Sorry!

*Waiting to buy a new laptop

Given the work you've done and the work thats been held up by your lack of a computer, I'm surprised there hasn't been a Fundme or Kickstarter campaign to get you back up and running :P

Money isn't the problem - the model I want isn't yet available in New Zealand (or rather, Asus NZ keeps delaying the release while trying to clear out their old stock)

I can make models and textures on my current machine just fine, but I can't run the game even at the lowest settings to test. I did get a small cadre of beta testers to help out, but eventually it became too frustrating for everyone involved, not to mention harassment from certain individuals.

Money isn't the problem - the model I want isn't yet available in New Zealand (or rather, Asus NZ keeps delaying the release while trying to clear out their old stock)

Well then, money is the problem, you obviously can't afford to buy out the old stock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.