[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

32 minutes ago, sumghai said:

V3.2 released - see first post for download link

- Side fairings have been overhauled
 	 - They now split into thirds rather than halves, and include built-in solid rocket jettison motors to help push the panels away cleanly after separation

As always, please be patient while the CKAN listing gets updated.

Injuries among KSC VAB technicians has increased 30% due to techs trying to turn the new rocket powered  fairing panels into rocket sleds....

Edited by Starwaster

I have to admit, I'm a little bit sad to see the two-piece fairings go, because I found them handy for putting Nertea's 2.5m diameter curved-solar-panels on the 2-piece fairing, since each curved array covered a quarter of a 2.5m part's circumference, the 2-piece fairing allowed me to put 2 curved arrays on each of the two service-module fairings to get full 360° coverage. I guess now I'll have to find another way to get solar power prior to the fairing being jettisoned. Sorry, I'm just nitpicking, don't mind me.

3 hours ago, StevieC said:

I have to admit, I'm a little bit sad to see the two-piece fairings go, because I found them handy for putting Nertea's 2.5m diameter curved-solar-panels on the 2-piece fairing, since each curved array covered a quarter of a 2.5m part's circumference, the 2-piece fairing allowed me to put 2 curved arrays on each of the two service-module fairings to get full 360° coverage. I guess now I'll have to find another way to get solar power prior to the fairing being jettisoned. Sorry, I'm just nitpicking, don't mind me.

Unfortunately, the two-piece fairings were causing the collision and exploding issues in KSP 1.1.x. Splitting them into three-piece fairings and adding the hidden solid rocket motors was the only way to properly mitigate this issue.

8 hours ago, StevieC said:

Wait a minute, why do you need solar power prior to fairing jettison? Surely the alternators in your rocket engines are keeping your power topped up while you're getting to orbit. And if that's not enough, couldn't you fit more batteries on?

4 hours ago, StevieC said:

Let's just say I fly some "unconventional" mission-profiles in which fitting curved solar panels to the fairings is genuinely helpful. Yeah, I'm weird.

If you say so. Have you tried that setup with 3x symmetry? I.e. one curved array on each fairing panel, or maybe even two arranged vertically. Does that not provide enough power?

Edited by Bomoo

3 hours ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

I'm finding with the latest update that it's breaking saved craft files as well -- super flakey behaviour in the VAB and then the game crashes. Anyone else experienced this?

As per the release notes, there was a (very clear warning) that the update was save breaking.

17 hours ago, sumghai said:

As per the release notes, there was a (very clear warning) that the update was save breaking.

Yes, I know -- I'm not talking about the save game, I'm talking about craft files, but fair enough if the initial warning was meant to include both. It's not a massive deal as it's not too hard to redesign the vessels in question, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it was useful..

Edited by cyberpunkdreams

1 hour ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

I'm not talking about the save game, I'm talking about craft files, but fair enough if the initial warning was meant to include both

From what I've seen, "save breaking" as used by any modder has always referred to both craft and save files. So best to always assume it will affect both

1 hour ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

Yes, I know -- I'm not talking about the save game, I'm talking about craft files, but fair enough if the initial warning was meant to include both. It's not a massive deal as it's not too hard to redesign the vessels in question, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it was useful..

3 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

From what I've seen, "save breaking" as used by any modder has always referred to both craft and save files. So best to always assume it will affect both

@Gaiiden is correct - the term savebreaking in this context is synonymous with craft-breaking.

14 hours ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

Fair enough -- thanks for the clarification.

Perhaps interestingly, this latest update does not appear to break subassemblies. What I like to do, if I may share a tip, is save the service module as a subassembly both for use in other builds (e.g. ATV craft or probes) and for when craft need to be rebuilt after updates.

Is there a way to make the fuel-cell capable of using the Liquid Hydrogen resource from Nertea's CryoEngines/CryoTanks mod in place of the stock Liquid Fuel resource? Still requiring oxidizer as well, of course,

22 hours ago, StevieC said:

Is there a way to make the fuel-cell capable of using the Liquid Hydrogen resource from Nertea's CryoEngines/CryoTanks mod in place of the stock Liquid Fuel resource? Still requiring oxidizer as well, of course,

Have you dug around in the cfg at all?

Sumghai, I'm pleased to see this updated. Seems like things work better. 

Question on RCS blocks for this craft configuration. Have you thought about adding a small 3 axis paired RCS block that'd work on the Avionics RingService Module allowing for keeping the ventral/dorsal areas clear? The standard RCS blocks seem like they'd be subject to wind blast damage. 

Cheers!

Some folks insist that putting RCS thrusters on the Avionics Ring portion of the Service Module allows for perfect optimization of RCS thrust forces around the craft CoM, but I personally recommend keeping them under the fairings.

1 hour ago, Montieth said:

Hiding them under the fairings would seem to make them not work very well for forwards facing thruster firing....

In my use cases, they work just fine for me - once the fairings are jettisoned, of course.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your specific mission profile / requirements, so that I can understand what you're trying to do?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.