[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

4 hours ago, sumghai said:

In my use cases, they work just fine for me - once the fairings are jettisoned, of course.

Perhaps you could elaborate on your specific mission profile / requirements, so that I can understand what you're trying to do?

I think he thinks that RCS thruster firing against part of the rocket would counteract the effects of thrust. Which it would IRL. That's why Orion has those canted nozzles

I'm just being particular about the forward facing vector impinging upon the upper portion of the service module section. Such would in reality tnd to negate such rcs firing as it would vector the implusles to either side. 

4 hours ago, Montieth said:

I'm just being particular about the forward facing vector impinging upon the upper portion of the service module section. Such would in reality tnd to negate such rcs firing as it would vector the implusles to either side. 

As per the wiki on GitHub, I position my RCS thrusters midway down the propulsion trunk section of the Service module, I've had no issues with RCS thrust being negated in any direction.

tutorial_step8.png

If one tries to line the thrusters up with the craft's CoM, that would obviously cause the thrusters to clip into the ring.

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

@Montieth I usually use the 45° micro RCS blocks from this mod

They can be positioned such that they don't clip into the heat shield OR the ladder.

I personally use the RLA 45° thruster blocks in my actual savegame as well.

3 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

Is this mod compatible with TweakScale?

As per the FAQ in the first post of this thread, no:

Q: In the VAB/SPH, the Service Module / Avionics Ring decoupler animation plays constantly (puffs of smoke, etc), causing null reference errors / crashes.

A: This is most likely caused by the TweakScale third-party plugin, due to an as-yet unexplained incompatibility. You'll have to uninstall TweakScale or not use the Service Module pack.

Placement of the thrusters close to the Avionics ring of the service module doesn't actually have the effect of redirection of the thrust when it impinges on the avionics ring, it just should. The angled thrusters seem like a decent compromise but I dislike loss of 50% of the forward/aft thrust due to it being off axis in it's desired velocity effect. 

Sorry, I'm being excessively picky...

the specific blocks I recommended are designed so that putting them on the 45 degree angle positions gives straight thrust on-axis. If you give me a moment I'll grab a screenshot to show you what I mean.

As promised, the screenshot.

Edited by StevieC
Adding the promised screenshot

1 hour ago, Montieth said:

Placement of the thrusters close to the Avionics ring of the service module doesn't actually have the effect of redirection of the thrust when it impinges on the avionics ring, it just should. The angled thrusters seem like a decent compromise but I dislike loss of 50% of the forward/aft thrust due to it being off axis in it's desired velocity effect. 

Sorry, I'm being excessively picky...

On the other hand, it makes them more versatile. Yes, they're not going to be 100% efficient in any one situation, but they'll be ~50% in several. But then it's not like monoprop is some hugely restrictive resource. 150 should be more than plenty to get you through a rendez-vous in LKO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

Something is wrong with the shader of the parachute equipped docking port. The shader just...dosen't seem right. 

http://imgur.com/a/2nPT6

P.S. I have installed Ven's stock revamp. Also, is it possible to change the shader?

Ven's stock revamp has a tendency to interfere with various features of SDHI SMS, so I wouldn't know where to begin diagnosing the issue.

Is this in 1.1.3 or the 1.2 prerelease?

1 hour ago, sumghai said:

Ven's stock revamp has a tendency to interfere with various features of SDHI SMS, so I wouldn't know where to begin diagnosing the issue.

Is this in 1.1.3 or the 1.2 prerelease?

Edit - Also just to let you know the part looks fine in the VAB editor. The shader only starts to act up when I load the vessel and launch it. 

Edited by Delta_8930

19 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

Edit - Also just to let you know the part looks fine in the VAB editor. The shader only starts to act up when I load the vessel and launch it. 

Were you able to reproduce it on a stripped down install with just SDHI SMS and its direct dependencies?

Hey, I haven't played KSP for a while and I'm just getting back into it, so I'm a little rusty.  I know this came up before, but I couldn't find it in a thread search: how do I make the parachutes editable in the realchutes GUI?

I know you have it intentionally disabled, but I'm aware of the risks, I'll take responsibility for any unintentional lithobraking that may result from messing with this setting.  I'd just like to have the option open so I can use the parts for landing on other planets and stuff.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On September 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM, sumghai said:

Were you able to reproduce it on a stripped down install with just SDHI SMS and its direct dependencies?

Yeah. It appears to be a problem with the new model from Ven's Stock Revamp. I'll post about this issue in that thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, buskape said:

Love this mod! Just updated my KSP and was wondering, does it work with 1.2?

Unfortunately, no.

SDHI SMS is dependent on a plugin called AnimatedDecouplers, which hasn't been updated yet.

Also, if my mods were compatible with 1.2, I would already had said so in the OP.

7 hours ago, sumghai said:

Unfortunately, no.

SDHI SMS is dependent on a plugin called AnimatedDecouplers, which hasn't been updated yet.

Also, if my mods were compatible with 1.2, I would already had said so in the OP.

It'll be updated soon. Still working through my mods, including other mods that I'm maintaining.

(is updated actually, I just have to put together the package for uploading)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.