[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

1 hour ago, sumghai said:

As mentioned a few posts back, my hands are tied until @Starwaster is ready to release an update to the AnimatedDecouplers dependency.

Sorry sorry guys. Past month hasn't been so great. Some of our older cats are reaching that point where we don't know how much longer they'll be with us. We lost one a couple of weeks ago and there's three others that have been taking up a lot of my time. In particular a little tortie girl who's always had a poor immune system but a tremendous will to live. She's having a hard time right now and I don't know what's going to happen with her.

Anyway, here's the update:

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/releases/latest

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Sorry sorry guys. Past month hasn't been so great. Some of our older cats are reaching that point where we don't know how much longer they'll be with us. We lost one a couple of weeks ago and there's three others that have been taking up a lot of my time. In particular a little tortie girl who's always had a poor immune system but a tremendous will to live. She's having a hard time right now and I don't know what's going to happen with her.

Anyway, here's the update:

https://github.com/Starwaster/AnimatedDecouplers/releases/latest

Ah, really sorry to hear that man. Lost a cat this past January. Was really rough.

Thanks for the update. Keep those kittens company, we'll get by all the same.:)

I performed a little casual testing on the existing release version of SDHI SM and it seems to function as advertised now that Starwaster has come through with the plugin.

However, the screwy behaviour I described a few pages previously seems to still be there. That is the discrepancy in the force imparted on the capsule between the standalone avionics ring vs. the full trunk. The way I tested it was loading a craft with an identical capsule, and testing decoupling behaviour with gravity hacked to 0.01. The craft did have the cover + LES, but those were discarded before testing. So if you perform the right click + decouple action on the avionics ring/trunk on the launch pad under hacked gravity, I think you might be able to see what I'm talking about. I'm curious if anyone else is able to reproduce this or if it's just some bizarre alignment of mods or settings that's doing this on my end.

4 hours ago, Bomoo said:

I performed a little casual testing on the existing release version of SDHI SM and it seems to function as advertised now that Starwaster has come through with the plugin.

However, the screwy behaviour I described a few pages previously seems to still be there. That is the discrepancy in the force imparted on the capsule between the standalone avionics ring vs. the full trunk. The way I tested it was loading a craft with an identical capsule, and testing decoupling behaviour with gravity hacked to 0.01. The craft did have the cover + LES, but those were discarded before testing. So if you perform the right click + decouple action on the avionics ring/trunk on the launch pad under hacked gravity, I think you might be able to see what I'm talking about. I'm curious if anyone else is able to reproduce this or if it's just some bizarre alignment of mods or settings that's doing this on my end.

Confirmed on my end

I've opened a new issue, but I don't know if I'll be able to fix this, since I technically used the same colliders for the ring portion of the Service Module as on the Avionics Ring.

1 hour ago, StevieC said:

Any word on whether the flotation airbags still work in KSP 1.2?

I'm afraid not.

Starwaster and I haven't had time (yet) to further develop the universal flotation plugin / parts pack.

Edited by sumghai

@Bomoo - I ran some experiments and got some numbers (#102).

Given that both the Service Module and Avionics Ring have the same decoupling force specified in the CFG, it seems that the only way you'd see differences in the decoupling distance is if the jettisoned segment (i.e. the Avionics Ring) was attached to a light fuel tank of part - heavier parts negate this effect.

tl;dr - Very difficult to reproducible, dependent on numerous factors.

3 hours ago, sumghai said:

@Bomoo - I ran some experiments and got some numbers (#102).

Given that both the Service Module and Avionics Ring have the same decoupling force specified in the CFG, it seems that the only way you'd see differences in the decoupling distance is if the jettisoned segment (i.e. the Avionics Ring) was attached to a light fuel tank of part - heavier parts negate this effect.

tl;dr - Very difficult to reproducible, dependent on numerous factors.

I was performing my tests with a full craft using a rockomax x16 tank and poodle engine, so quite a bit more massive than the SDHI SM + LV-909 setup. If you've got the time or the inclination, I'd also ask you test abort action (SDHI SM decouple + LES engine activation) behaviour of a conventional Mk1-2 pod + cover + LES and note the differences. What I'm seeing on my end is pretty dramatic, though I've been using the KSPX LES. I'll do a couple of runs of the SDHI and stock LES just to see if there's any difference. Here are the craft I was using:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801078776

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801078872

I can also provide craft files if anyone could point me to a legit file upload site now that mediafire links have been axed.

*SDHI AR craft w/ KSPX LES - jerks powerfully to the left, high horizontal velocity; SDHI SM craft w/ KSPX LES - pod is propelled normally in a nice high arc to the right, as expected.

*SDHI AR craft w/ stock LES - jerks a little to the left, but the right-directed force of the LES ends up counteracting that and the pod is propelled in a straight vertical; SDHI SM craft w/ stock LES - similar behaviour to the KSPX LES. Pod is propelled in a lower arc to the right.

*SDHI AR craft w/ SDHI LES - very similar behaviour to the KSPX LES, though the SDHI LES gives the pod more height. Still jerks violently to the left.; SDHI SM craft w/ SDHI LES - flies straight up, which is I think what you intended, and can be steered without any strong horizontal velocity being imparted by the abort action.

This is what happened without any steering: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801078836

I'll also add that while I am using quite a few mods in this, the behaviour has stayed consistent even in a minimal near-stock copy of the game in previous testing. I'll see if I can't reduce the number of mods even further and get back to ya.

Edit: It's Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. To be fair, I haven't tested it without that because the game's virtually unplayable without it.

Edited by Bomoo

15 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Edit: It's Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. To be fair, I haven't tested it without that because the game's virtually unplayable without it.

I sometimes use KJR myself, but haven't noticed much out of the ordinary - in fact, I usually leave SAS on when aborting.

I have a feeling this is an edge case that might be outside of my area...

54 minutes ago, sumghai said:

I sometimes use KJR myself, but haven't noticed much out of the ordinary - in fact, I usually leave SAS on when aborting.

I have a feeling this is an edge case that might be outside of my area...

I have my abort action set up to turn the pod's reaction wheels off, though this is probably counter-productive when using your steerable SDHI LES. But yeah, it might be. Sorry for the trouble!

17 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

not that I've noticed, it seems to start at liftoff and then dissipate after a couple of seconds.

Could you try a stripped-down stock installation with just SDHI SMS and its bare essential dependencies? (AnimatedDecouplers, ModuleManager, RealChute)

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:16 PM, Starwaster said:

@Starwaster, So sorry to hear about the Kitties, as for me I can wait until it is done. I'll have you & your Kitties in my thoughts.

12 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

No, it was ready a month ago, it's just I've been having trouble focusing and assembling the release package :(

:D I just did a Test Launch & it works GREAT!.. now I can get back to playing KSP in a serious matter :D:D

Also I just want to Thank Both of you @Starwaster & @sumghai for your hard work & time (This is my Second Must Have Mod(s) just right Behind MechJeb)

2 hours ago, Turk_WLF said:

:D I just did a Test Launch & it works GREAT!.. now I can get back to playing KSP in a serious matter :D:D

Also I just want to Thank Both of you @Starwaster & @sumghai for your hard work & time (This is my Second Must Have Mod(s) just right Behind MechJeb)

Assuming you're using the SDHI release for 1.1.3

Are you seeing any spam in the flight screens? (convex hull spam)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.