[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

6 hours ago, damonvv said:

Seems like the 1.2 release date has been leaked :D

Hush, you :P

V3.2.1 released - see first post for download link

3.2.1 - 20 November 2016
---------------------------

WARNING: This is a craft and save-breaking update; it is recommended you abort / recover existing SDHI craft before installing this update

Changes / Fixes:
 - Compatibility Patch for KSP 1.2.1
 - Service Module and Avionics Ring tweaks
     - Increased reaction wheel torque from 5 to 15 kN/m
	 - Set SAS to standalone operation, allowing crafts with inexperienced crew to have full SAS capaibility
 - Mk1-2 Pod Aeroshroud colliders are now manifold (closed) meshes
 - Launch Escape System (LES) pitch control motor RCS thrusters now have custom flame and sound effects

Thanks for your patience, everyone! I'll update the CKAN listing later today.

19 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Anyone finding it harder to maintain an aft first orientation during reentry?

Definitely noticed this - I wonder if this has something to do with the CoM of the pod + heatshield + parachute docking port...

2 hours ago, sumghai said:

Definitely noticed this - I wonder if this has something to do with the CoM of the pod + heatshield + parachute docking port...

Think it has to do with aerodynamic changes in 1.2 but I'm not sure which specific ones would be doing this. Try changing heat shield CoPOffset to 0, 1.1, 0 (matching it to that of the stock KSP 2.5m shield... )

Edit: 

Edit 2: Oops nvm first edit, that's just in the repo...

Edited by Starwaster

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Think it has to do with aerodynamic changes in 1.2 but I'm not sure which specific ones would be doing this. Try changing heat shield CoPOffset to 0, 1.1, 0 (matching it to that of the stock KSP 2.5m shield... )

Edit: 

Edit 2: Oops nvm first edit, that's just in the repo...

Yep, as you saw in #107, I just copied the stock 2.5m heat shield CoP/CoL offsets and the ModuleLiftingSurface to the SDHI heat shield.

For the most part, it works, but there's a fair bit of wobbling, and both the pod and paradock came quite close to their overheat limit during reentry. I'll definitely need some help tweaking those parameters...

Could you include PEBKAC integration for the LES? @Kurld's plugin does an excellent job at making a "smart" launch escape system, as it has different abort modes that are chosen from based on different parameters like speed and altitude (kind of like Landertron), for example, the pitch control motors are not used when above about 10 km (I think), as your rocket is already tilted and gravity can do the work of moving the capsule away to safety.

31 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

Could you include PEBKAC integration for the LES? @Kurld's plugin does an excellent job at making a "smart" launch escape system, as it has different abort modes that are chosen from based on different parameters like speed and altitude (kind of like Landertron), for example, the pitch control motors are not used when above about 10 km (I think), as your rocket is already tilted and gravity can do the work of moving the capsule away to safety.

Even after studying PEBKAC's parts and part modules, I don't understand it well enough to try integrating its features into SDHI SMS.

22 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

Does this support USI LS? Like does it add noms to the service module with it installed?

SDHI SMS currently does not support USI LS, but adding support looks easy enough. No promises, though.

@Benji13 and @damonvv, I've put together a small MM patch which will be included in the next release.

In the meantime, you guys can save the following to GameData\SDHI\Service Module System\Parts\MM_configs\SDHI_SMS_MMPatch_USILifeSupport.cfg

// USI Life Support patch for SDHI Service Module System
// Author: Robin "sumghai" Chang
// Revision: 1.0
//
// For use with USI LS v0.5.0 and above

// This modifies the stock Mark 1-2 Pod so that the combined Command/Service Module stack provides a total of eight (8) Kerbin days' worth[1]
// of life support crew provisions for its three-Kerbal crew. This capability is equivalent to that specified for TAC-LS.
//
// As the USI LS Supplies, Mulch and Fertilizer resources are considered solids, they cannot be stored in or transferred to/from the Service Module
// or Avionics Ring via any realistic umbilical system. Also, the short duration of the mission means no Recyclers, Greenhouses or Fertilizer are needed.
//
// Eight days' of provisions allow the combined CSM spacecraft to operate indepedently for one week (seven days), plus one extra day as a emergency reserve.
//
// [1] 1 Kerbin day = 6 Earth hours
//

// Modifies the stock Mark 1-2 Pod to give, for its three-Kerbal crew, a total of:
// - eight Kerbal days of Supplies
// - eight Kerbal days of Mulch storage
@PART[Mark1-2Pod]:FOR[USILifeSupport]:FINAL {

// Use replace (%) rather than edit (@), to ensure that the following values are loaded regardless of the presence/absence of any other patches
	%RESOURCE[Supplies]
	{
		%amount = 259.2
		%maxAmount = 259.2
	}
	%RESOURCE[Mulch]
	{
		%amount = 0
		%maxAmount = 259.2
	}
}

As explained in #109, the rationale is that USI LS resources are solids, and cannot be physically transferred to/from the Service Module or Avionics Ring. I've therefore simply set it so that the Mk1-2 Pod itself has eight day's worth of provisions for the three-Kerbal crew, the same period of time supported by the TAC-LS patch.

3 hours ago, sumghai said:

Even after studying PEBKAC's parts and part modules, I don't understand it well enough to try integrating its features into SDHI SMS.

@CobaltWolf has been able to successfully integrate PEBKAC into his mod, and it seems that the only significant change necessary is to add an animation for canards opening (the canards flip the craft around 180º so the LES can safely eject without the possibility of impacting the capsule) and some .cfg file work.

21 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

@CobaltWolf has been able to successfully integrate PEBKAC into his mod, and it seems that the only significant change necessary is to add an animation for canards opening (the canards flip the craft around 180º so the LES can safely eject without the possibility of impacting the capsule) and some .cfg file work.

The SDHI LES is based on the real-life Orion LES, and does not use canards for steering. Instead, it uses SolidFuel-powered RCS thrusters for pitch control.

So unless the PEBKAC plugin can also control the pitch control RCS thrusters, integration is unlikely.

1 hour ago, hieywiey said:

54 minutes ago, sumghai said:

The SDHI LES is based on the real-life Orion LES, and does not use canards for steering. Instead, it uses SolidFuel-powered RCS thrusters for pitch control.

So unless the PEBKAC plugin can also control the pitch control RCS thrusters, integration is unlikely.

The PEBKAC LES in BDB was a collaboration between @Kurld and our own @Jso. I know they spent a fair amount of time fine tuning it and making it perform the way they wanted - I was not involved until the very end, and even then it was just to do the textures. I do believe there is a chance that it could work through RCS.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

The PEBKAC LES in BDB was a collaboration between @Kurld and our own @Jso. I know they spent a fair amount of time fine tuning it and making it perform the way they wanted - I was not involved until the very end, and even then it was just to do the textures. I do believe there is a chance that it could work through RCS.

I see. I'm still not convinced the benefits are worth the effort, though.

I've got bigger fish to fry right now, particularly the new issue where the heat shield causes the pod to tumble during reentry.

1 hour ago, hieywiey said:

I agree. Not to throw him under the bus, but @jso has gotten really good at tweaking CoL offsets for reentry.

Okay folks, I've managed to (mostly) solve the pod-not-retrograde-during-reentry issue.

Please replace the SDHI Heat Shield CFG with this one, test it out and let me know how you get on:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/blob/master/GameData/SDHI/Service Module System/Parts/SDHI_2.5_Heatshield/part.cfg

The sooner I get feedback, the sooner I can push out the bugfix. Thanks!

Seems fine to me. No flipping observed.

However, I didn't see any airbag deployment once it splashed down. I actually haven't used the airbag previous to this, so is there some special plugin I have to install?

Edited by Bomoo

5 minutes ago, Bomoo said:

Seems fine to me. No flipping observed.

However, I didn't see any airbag deployment once it splashed down. I actually haven't used the airbag previous to this, so is there some special plugin I have to install?

The airbag capability was removed a while back, after the Klockheed Martian plugin required was discontinued

Starwaster and I were working on a new flotation plugin, but we've put that on hold for the time being.

1 hour ago, sumghai said:

The airbag capability was removed a while back, after the Klockheed Martian plugin required was discontinued

Starwaster and I were working on a new flotation plugin, but we've put that on hold for the time being.

Ah, I got ya. Do you know if there's there a way to reduce the buoyancy until then? Looks a bit freakish to have my pod sitting almost on top of the water without an airbag, which is why I happened to mention it in the first place. Danke.

Edit: And once again I'm troubling you over nothing. I guess it was some strange visual glitch. Sorry, dude.

Edited by Bomoo

V3.2.2 released - see first post for download link

3.2.2 - 22 November 2016 
--------------------------- 

Changes / Fixes:
 - Tweaked heat shield aerodynamics parameters so that pod stays retrograde during atmospheric reentry
 - Moved heat shield to Thermal category and Advanced Landing tech tree node
    - This brings it in line with the stock heat shields 
 - Added USI Life Support compatibility
    - Eight days' worth of Supplies and Mulch storage for the standard crew of three Kerbals
    - Storage is applied directly to stock Mk1-2 Pod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.