[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

5 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sumghai Can you please add petal attachment points to the avionics module? 

1 minute ago, Capt. Hunt said:

why would you need those?  If you're using the avionics module without the service section, you don't need the fairings.

@Capt. Hunt is correct - the Avionics Ring is for people who want to build their own Service Module from scratch while still using the SDHI SMS Heat Shield, BPC and LES. If I added petal attachment points to the Ring, you might as well just use the Service Module itself.

@Bottle Rocketeer 500, what sort of vessel are you trying to build?

I do use procedural or stock fairings for this.... I was just saying this is why someone would want these on the avionics part as well.  maybe there is some case where these work better.  without seeing his craft we can't say what is better or worse.  

@sumghai

The reason I want petal attachment points on the avionics ring is because I am making a mod which uses your spacecraft adapter, and also includes the petal parts, and the Avionics Ring is attached to a fuel tank, which is a 75% scale version of the x-200-16 fuel tank. The reason that I don't use the Service Module is because of how configurable the SM wold be when I use the Avionics Ring, which allows either an Apollo or Orion SM to be build using SDHI parts.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

3 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sumghai

The reason I want petal attachment points on the avionics ring is because I am making a mod which uses your spacecraft adapter, and also includes the petal parts, and the Avionics Ring is attached to a fuel tank, which is a 75% scale version of the x-200-16 fuel tank. The reason that I don't use the Service Module is because of how configurable the SM wold be when I use the Avionics Ring, which allows either an Apollo or Orion SM to be build using SDHI parts.

What sort of configurability is the SDHI service module lacking that your other tank has?

6 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

The reason I want petal attachment points on the avionics ring is because I am making a mod which uses your spacecraft adapter, and also includes the petal parts, and the Avionics Ring is attached to a fuel tank, which is a 75% scale version of the x-200-16 fuel tank.

This falls outside the original scope and intention of this add-on, so I'm going to have to reject your request.

You're better off making your own parts and models from scratch, rather than depending on re-purposed versions of SDHI SMS parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having a slight issue with PEBKAC and the SDHI BPC, when the BPC's "ABORT!" sequence is activated the BPC is detaching from the command module. Do I just need to make sure I remove the BPC from the abort sequence or is that going to foul up anything for me further down the line?

Wound up with "Toggle RCS Thrust" and "Abort!" on the LES and "Decouple" on the SM. The BPC doesn't have an option for JUST the motors for me, both "Jettison LES"  and "Abort!" are detaching from the capsule.

I can get 3km altitude with an abort on launch pad though so my Kereles III works for now :)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@sumghai Remember how you wanted a flotation collar for the heat shield,  well the "Comfortable Landing" mod came out, and it allows you to inflate the flotation collar when splashed down.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll download it tonight, but looking at the screenshots and gifs in its release thread, I'm already liking what I'm seeing.

So I've had a play around with Comfortable Landing on my prebuilt SDHI SMS vessel, and it pretty much does exactly what it says on the tin - automatically deploys airbags on splashdown. There is little configuration or fiddling required by users - the airbags and righting balls are integrated into the stock Mk1-2 Pod itself via MODEL{} nodes (although existing craft may need to be rebuilt).

CjIdRn0.png

I'm more than happy to use this mod myself, and would definitely recommend it to everyone, so work on my proposed Hanbart-Thompdrin mod is redundant. In fact, I like CL's own flotation collar design so much, I'm going to try to repurpose my original heat shield airbags for terrestrial landings instead:

KEoWhQJ.png

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed what may be a bug with the SDHI trunk-2.5m adapter/separator piece. When decoupling it, the decouple force does not appear to be centered, as I've observed it tends to pull to one side. I've performed a couple of tests using various parts and setups to try to nail down what it is, and it does appear to be either the stack separator piece or some weird collider clipping with the service module trunk. After a little more testing, removing the SM trunk as a variable, yeah, appears to be the SM adapter.

Here's a picture of what it looks like a few seconds after decoupling on a 0.01 hacked gravity test craft. Craft was flying dead straight up until that point. Same results when using the SM trunk and stock 2.5m tank with an LV-909 stuck on the bottom.

E88C3DC5CC3E61E5FD16EC354D9001ABB2555FA0

Edited by Bomoo

• 3 weeks later...

I've run into a weird issue: has anyone using the Launch Escape System run into a problem where it looks like it's "constantly activated"? In other words, the system works fine, but the plumes burn nonstop rather than just when they're activated.

I have Real Plume, Real Plume Stock and Smokescreen installed. I haven't seen anything about incompatibilities with any of those things in the thread. 

25 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

I've run into a weird issue: has anyone using the Launch Escape System run into a problem where it looks like it's "constantly activated"? In other words, the system works fine, but the plumes burn nonstop rather than just when they're activated.

I have Real Plume, Real Plume Stock and Smokescreen installed. I haven't seen anything about incompatibilities with any of those things in the thread. 

Try removing those and see what happens.

6 hours ago, sumghai said:

Try removing those and see what happens.

Thank you for responding so quickly. That's a pretty obvious thing I should've thought of--removing all the folders fixes the issue. Next I'm going to try adding them back one by one in order of dependency...none of my other engines/launch escape systems seem to have this issue, it'd be a shame to lose those mods (and they're the most recent version of them). I may have to go through the LES configuration file and try and figure out what's wrong. I'll post back with my findings. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.