[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Haven't been around for a few years now... but I'm really happy to see that this thing is still around! It has ferried so many kerbals to and from my space stations through the years.

Edited by wasmic

On 2/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any chance of adding this to Ckan 1.6.1? All the dependency's are updated & are on Ckan. Also how do you stage this?

if you want to change it to be a staged decoupler, open SDHI_Crew_Module_Adapter.cfg, find this code:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimatedDecoupler
		ejectionForce = 150
		explosiveNodeID = top
		staged = false
		animationName = SDHI_CMA_Umbilical_arm_swing
		waitForAnimation = true
	}

and change "staged = false" to "staged = true"

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I don't recommend modifying the CMA decoupler to be stageable, as it is a deliberate safety feature, and the CMA is supposed to be decoupled via action group instead.

However, if you insist, then please do it via your own MM patch - otherwise, I cannot provide support to those who directly modify SDHI SMS itself.

3 hours ago, sumghai said:

I don't recommend modifying the CMA decoupler to be stageable, as it is a deliberate safety feature, and the CMA is supposed to be decoupled via action group instead.

However, if you insist, then please do it via your own MM patch - otherwise, I cannot provide support to those who directly modify SDHI SMS itself.

I agree with @sumghai on this one.  But if you insist on putting the decoupler into staging, here's the MM script to do so.

Spoiler

// MM.SDHI.SMS.20190218a.<date-version>.cfg
// 
// Version 20190218a
//
// Powered by ialdabaoth and sarbian's ModuleManager
//      http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533--/
// ModuleManager config coding by Jacke
//      http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/103694-jacke/
// Copyright 2019 by KSP forum user Jacke
// Licence GNU General Public Licence version 3
//      https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html
// Licence Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
//      http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
// Licence Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0
//      http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
//
// Include this file with Kerbal Space Program
//
// Modifications to SDHI Service Module System
//
// 2019 Feb 18 Mon  MM coding by Jacke
//
// where    GameData/zzzFinal/
// what     SDHI SMS
// files    parts files for SDHI SMS
// nodes    PART's for SDHI SMS
//
@PART[SDHI_Crew_Module_Adapter]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleAnimatedDecoupler]
	{
		@staged = true
	}
}
//
// END OF MM.SDHI.SMS.<date-version>.cfg

7 hours ago, rottielover said:

Has anyone else had issues with the docking port not wanting to dock to the stock port?  I'm not really sure what's going on other than I'm perfectly aligned and was doing 0.2 m/s and they just bounced off each other.

Never. Maybe your stock port isn’t really stock. (Ven’s Restock?)

or maybe your stock port got patched to behave differently 

doesn't look like I have Ven's restock, but I am using CKAN and have noted that it's caused me a few conflicts in the past, so I wouldn't rule it out that something else mucked with the stock ports.   I'm just not sure how to tell.   I'll try some experiments and see , maybe it has to do with tweakable everything

I've tried again a couple of times,  how do I look into the configs to see if they are the same?

EDIT: let me be more detailed....     I tried a test where I created a new TEST game in sandbox and I hacked grav with two pods    Now the docking ports are working fine.   I have no idea what's going on.

Went back to my 'real" game, and they won't dock.   I tried with several combos in the test, stock port to stock port, SDHI port to stock etc.  all worked in sandbox.    In my career save SDHI won't dock to stock.

Is there some kind of bug or issue with the way you use docking ports in builds?  Like am I not supposed to use them as decouplers if I want to use them as docking ports later?

Edited by rottielover

4 hours ago, StevieC said:

I've a small suggestion for @sumghai Re: the MechJeb MM patch for SDHI: Remove the "rover autopilot", "spaceplane autopilot", and "landing guidance" functionality from the SDHI service module and from the SDHI crew module adaptor.

Make sense! I'll figure out how to do that and line that up for the next update.

So just to wrap up my little issue,   I added "undock-inator" and it did not recognise the ports as docking ports,   that raised my suspicions a bit.   I tried re-loading quicksaves,  no effect,  I tried launch the craft new, no effect.

What worked was to remove the docking ports from the craft in the VAB "delete them", add "new" docking ports onto the craft, save it and launch it new.    That seems to have worked.

I still have no clue why this happened or what could have caused it, but at least I got it working.

• 3 weeks later...

@sumghai Just as a heads up, Nertea's ReStock resizes the top of the Mk 1-3 Command Pod to be 1.25m, and breaks the clean lines of the docking port, and the SMA umbilical port. Now there's a way to patch ReStock with a MM script to whitelist the parts, I just haven't had the time to figure out how to write one. Not asking you to, just bringing it to your attention. 

@sharpspoonful @Vince_K I appreciate you guys bringing this issue to my attention. However, I specifically designed this mod for use with the stock Mk1-3 Pod, and I'm not a fan of the philosophy behind ReStock. Therefore, I have no plans to make SDHI SMS support that mod.

@Cloakedwand72 As per the FAQ, I have no plans to support other pod sizes. (Also, please don't quote the entire first post - it makes your post unnecessarily long and hard to read).

37 minutes ago, sumghai said:

@sharpspoonful @Vince_K I appreciate you guys bringing this issue to my attention. However, I specifically designed this mod for use with the stock Mk1-3 Pod, and I'm not a fan of the philosophy behind ReStock. Therefore, I have no plans to make SDHI SMS support that mod.

@Cloakedwand72 As per the FAQ, I have no plans to support other pod sizes. (Also, please don't quote the entire first post - it makes your post unnecessarily long and hard to read).

Ok. Sorry I thought I'd reply in comments rather than PM. I Just get confused with the quotes part on this forum format.

• 4 weeks later...

@StevieC - I looked into your request to remove the Rover, Landing and Spaceplane Autopilot/Guidance MechJeb features in the Crew Module Adapter (CMA), but unfortunately I'm not able to implement it.

Spoiler

Technically speaking, MechJeb does allow you to blacklist selected features, and in theory I was able to disable all three modules.

However, MechJeb (by default) ships with its own MM patch that adds all MechJeb features to all Command Pods in-game (GameData\MechJeb2\Parts\MechJebNoCommandPod.cfg), which always enables Rover, Landing and Spaceplane Autopilot/Guidance.

Since SDHI SMS is designed specifically to be used with the stock Mk1-3 Command Pod, you end up with a standard SDHI CSM vessel where the Pod has Rover, Landing and Spaceplane Autopilot/Guidance enabled, while the SDHI SMS CMA has the same three features disabled. The net result is that the entire vessel will always have the unwanted MechJeb features no matter what you do.

I could, of course, theoretically write a patch that overrides the MechJeb default and forcibly remove the unwanted autopilots from the Mk1-3 Pod. However, this may cause problems for people who also want to simultaneously use just the Pod in other crafts as rover or lander cabins.

In conclusion, the simplest way to handle all possible use and edge cases is to do nothing.

1 hour ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

@sumghai what do you dislike about restocks philosophy?

The "we're better than stock" aspect.

SDHI SMS is intended to fit with the stock aesthetic, to provide a seamless experience for the majority of new and existing players to the game.

6 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Would you at least be able to make a version of the port that simple can switch to a 1.25m base mount? It could be in the same art style as the current parts?

No.

As per the FAQ in the OP, I have no plans to support other pods besides the vanilla Mk1-3 Command Pod.

Real chutes is totally broken in KSP 1.7!

None of the radial chutes work or appear in the VAB and any craft built with them won’t load if you delete the mod.

Just a heads up as I saw it listed as a dependency for this mod!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.