[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

While this may not be exactly what you're looking for, there is a command module in the Deep Space Mission Pack (link) that holds 5 Kerbins and works well with these parts. It is about the size you seem to be looking for, and it would be easy to edit it to 6-8 Kerbal capacity.

Ap

Here's a couple of pics of what it could look like:

http://i.imgur.com/JYWPZcG.png

http://i.imgur.com/URwHsnj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kJrqe8i.jpg

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking except it would be a separate part that fit the bottom of the 1-2 pod and the sdhi heat shield would fit its bottom. The pod you pictured would be perfect if it had its own IVA!

While working on the FusTek Station parts, I discovered that due to KSP 0.23.5 making use of the Unity 4.3 update, the colored lights on the IACBMs didn't work properly (specifically, the lights would glow cyan in its off state, while failing to glow red in its on state). And so...

V1.9 released - see first post for download link

1.9          5 April 2014
---------------------------

Changes / Fixes
- Compatibility Patch for KSP 0.23.5
- Fixed IACBM 1.25m - Parachute version docking light colors

I still can't seem to get the Service Module's delta-V to show up in MechJeb. Any ideas?

ALERT: If you wish to use the NASA pack LAS tower with this pack, I have found a solution for the pad abort issue...

I'll give that a try, thanks. It was the one problem I couldn't rectify in last night's launch tests.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Would it be possible to add an engine with a longer engine bell to the pack? The engine bells on things like the Apollo and Orion CSMs were considerably longer than the LV-909 used by the SDHI CSM.

KWRocketry has a "Service Propulsion System" engine which is comparable to the Apollo CSM engine - something like this would look great!

Someone's already working on that!! Look over in the Mod development section...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74869-WIP-Aerojet-Kerbodyne-%28SDHI-NASA-extension%29

Yep, and it's almost ready for release. Three engines, three fuel tanks, a couple adapters, and a launch abort tower that beats the stock one in every respect except lateral movement (it doesn't toss you quite so far to the side, but it hauls you up a LONG ways.) Teamed with the stock 3.75m SLS parts, and you can make a respectable Block I SLS...

4WL52wA.png

That stack had enough throw capacity to heave the Mk 1-2 pod/SDHI combo to the Mun... then brake into orbit around the Mun with dV to spare. It's a good system.

And the Block II can haul a 40 ton fuel tank to the Mün and park it in a circular orbit (I've tried!)

Now I just need a more Orion-ish capsule - all this SLS goodness deserves a command pod that looks like the rest! :)

Well there is THIS capsule. It is sort of Orion-ish (I mean it is even named after Orions neighboring constellation :D). Anyway I think it looks odd with 3.75m SLS parts. So I am going to resize SDHI parts for the 3.75 capsule, Blackheart's parts and will increase the stock parts in size (Or at least some of them) I will probably make the first stage SLS parts about 6m in diameter. That is pretty big but it fits in relation to the 3.75m capsule. So if you are interested, stay tuned I will post the reisze configs on blackhearts thread when his parts are released (or maybe a short after releese)

I love this mod - and after discovering Aerojet Kerodyne Service Module Extension I love it even more. I have noticed that since the RealChute update there is now a considerable UI difference between how the ParaDock/IACBM parachutes are configured versus the RC method. Is there plans to convert your ParaDocks to the new configuration menu?

Thanks again for your work!

A question: I've just returned to using this mod after a long absence--if you want to set up a one-button abort group, is there a way to set it up so that protective cap is freed from the module? It seems to stay on even after you clear the rocket and the launch tower is burned out.

A question: I've just returned to using this mod after a long absence--if you want to set up a one-button abort group, is there a way to set it up so that protective cap is freed from the module? It seems to stay on even after you clear the rocket and the launch tower is burned out.

You might have attached it in a way with the docking port, either re-attach it or if you are lazy, set the docking port to decouple node. That's my guess

You might have attached it in a way with the docking port, either re-attach it or if you are lazy, set the docking port to decouple node. That's my guess

I think action group decoupling is the only way to get rid of the boost cover. Preferably in tandem with its rockets to get it away fast.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem like it--the protective cap was attached to the docking ring, and not the node on the command pod. The command pod just spins, like it's stuck in the protective cap. It seems to be related to the ejecting force for the protective cap--it doesn't separate, but the force just launches the command pod into the protective cover.

I think action group decoupling is the only way to get rid of the boost cover. Preferably in tandem with its rockets to get it away fast.

Really...huh. In the past, I know I could use the space bar to eventually jettison the protective cover and have the pod fall free, but it just seems to get stuck. Can someone share a screenshot of their abort sequence and staging, if they got it working?

Edited by Synthesis

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem like it--the protective cap was attached to the docking ring, and not the node on the command pod. The command pod just spins, like it's stuck in the protective cap. It seems to be related to the ejecting force for the protective cap--it doesn't separate, but the force just launches the command pod into the protective cover.

Really...huh. In the past, I know I could use the space bar to eventually jettison the protective cover and have the pod fall free, but it just seems to get stuck. Can someone share a screenshot of their abort sequence and staging, if they got it working?

I meant, it *most probably* clipped with the docking port, not the pod. While having the issue, try your best to clip the camera inside and decouple node on the docking port.

Can someone share a screenshot of their abort sequence and staging, if they got it working?

No screenshot, but a description...

Abort action group. Used ONLY in an abort.

-Decouple the SM

-Activate the Launch Abort System motor

Action Group 1. Used both for aborts and for normal flights to eject the LES/BPC.

-Decouple Boost Protective Cover

-Arm parachute

-Activate separation motors. I use the radially mounted retro motors from the Horizon Aeronautics pack, flipped around backwards. If it's the stock tower, I place each one individually, then take out about 40% of the fuel in one motor. This causes the tower to fly forward with a little tip at first, then suddenly tip over hard to clear the rocket.

-Jettison shrouds around the SM.

Action Group 2. Used after successful orbital insertion.

-Extend solar panels

-disarm parachute

Action Group 3. Used to prep for reentry

-Decouple SM

-Enable RCS thrusters on the capsule.

-Arm Parachute.

The parachutes in this mod aren't working for me!

I have the latest version of RealChute installed, and RealChute parachutes work fine.

These parachutes won't show up in the staging list, and start deployed.

Does it happen for the Clamp-o-Tron version only, or is the IACBM version also bugged?

I meant, it *most probably* clipped with the docking port, not the pod. While having the issue, try your best to clip the camera inside and decouple node on the docking port.

I think I see--that seems to kind of defeat the whole point of the 'emergency escape method', since you have to do all of that while the pod is racing through the air.

No screenshot, but a description...

Abort action group. Used ONLY in an abort.

-Decouple the SM

-Activate the Launch Abort System motor

Action Group 1. Used both for aborts and for normal flights to eject the LES/BPC.

-Decouple Boost Protective Cover

-Arm parachute

-Activate separation motors. I use the radially mounted retro motors from the Horizon Aeronautics pack, flipped around backwards. If it's the stock tower, I place each one individually, then take out about 40% of the fuel in one motor. This causes the tower to fly forward with a little tip at first, then suddenly tip over hard to clear the rocket.

-Jettison shrouds around the SM.

Action Group 2. Used after successful orbital insertion.

-Extend solar panels

-disarm parachute

Action Group 3. Used to prep for reentry

-Decouple SM

-Enable RCS thrusters on the capsule.

-Arm Parachute.

Okay, I will try this next, thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.