[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Okay, I created a new thread for the AeroFarings stuff, so all discussion pertaining to that topic should go there.

I'll try getting the DDS textures uploaded to the GitHub repo tonight, and review the stack nodes for all the parts by the end of the week. In the meantime, could I please have some feedback as to whether the stock fuel cell option works properly for the Service Module and Avionics Ring?

Tested it out. Everything seems to be working fine. Only thing is that the heatshield doesn't shield heat. (no ablator)

Maybe possible to do an easy fix by adding a resource parameter? Just copy what's from the stock 2.5m shield?

Tested it out. Everything seems to be working fine. Only thing is that the heatshield doesn't shield heat. (no ablator)
Maybe possible to do an easy fix by adding a resource parameter? Just copy what's from the stock 2.5m shield?

I do plan on adding ModuleAblator.

I'm just waiting to see how Deadly Reentry will deal with ModuleAblator before I rewrite the MM patch.

The formatting on the .cfg files looks like a mess, severely impacting readability. Then again I'm using plain old notepad to open them. Should I be using something else?
Might I suggest using Notepad++ for plain test editing? It's light-weight and free (both as in beer and speech).

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Thanks, I will. Sorry for the off topic. Can delete this discussion if you like.

Plain ol' notepad doesn't handle line breaks and tabs very well.

The CFG formatting looks fine in Wordpad, Notepad++ and GitHub's own text file viewer. And yeah, I too also recommend Notepad++ :)

replacing heat shield in the config with the stock:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAblator
ablativeResource = Ablator
lossExp = -9000
lossConst = 20
pyrolysisLossFactor = 10000
reentryConductivity = 0.01
ablationTempThresh = 500

}
RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 800
maxAmount = 800
}

Worked perfect!

replacing heat shield in the config with the stock:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAblator
ablativeResource = Ablator
lossExp = -9000
lossConst = 20
pyrolysisLossFactor = 10000
reentryConductivity = 0.01
ablationTempThresh = 500

}
RESOURCE
{
name = Ablator
amount = 800
maxAmount = 800
}

Worked perfect!

Thanks for the code snippet.

I'm waiting to see how DREC will deal with ModuleAblator before I rewrite the MM patch, because there are two possibilities:

- DREC may ignore ModuleAblator in favour of its own resource; in which case, I will need to write the patch so that ModuleAblator gets dynamically removed from the heat shield by DREC and replaced with the custom DREC ablator resource.

- DREC may adopt ModuleAblator and the associated stock Ablator resource; in which case, I can simply add ModuleAblatorand get rid of the outdated DREC patch altogether.

thanks for the update, I guess it figures that you'd put out a fix right after I figured out how to fix it myself.:P

I'll be sure to test out the ablator patch (I'm not using DRE). I did notice though, using the stock heatshields, that they tend to get stuck to the SM, so you have to kinda shake the SM loose, but if your heatshields are fixed, that won't be a problem. If I might make a suggestion though, I think the SDHI heatshield should have a little more ablator then stock, to reflect those awesome heat tiles, maybe 1000 units instead of 800.

If I might make a suggestion though, I think the SDHI heatshield should have a little more ablator then stock, to reflect those awesome heat tiles, maybe 1000 units instead of 800.

I assume the increasing the amount of the Ablator resource adds mass, so instead, it would be better to tweak the other properties of ModuleAblator, to reflect the situation where the SDHI Ablator (PICA-X) has inherently superior material properties compared to the stock Ablator.

By the way, guys:

- Did the normal maps turn out okay in-game? I'm asking because I was using KSP2DDS to convert them, and previews of the DDS thumbnails suggested that they would have a red tinge (compared to stock normal DSS having a black tinge).

- Does the new fuel cell integration actually work? The old fuel cell system in v2.4 and before used to have funny GUI issues (i.e. both the start and stop button appear in the right-click context menu)

Please, I really need solid confirmation so that I can close these two issues on GitHub.

I decided not to mess with the heatshield settings for now, but the textures and the heatshield fix appear to be working, the fuel cell also appears to work, but I haven't had a chance to use the stock fuel cell yet, so I don't know how it's going to compare efficiency wise

Edited by Capt. Hunt

the fuel cell also appears to work, but I haven't had a chance to use the stock fuel cell yet, so I don't know how it's going to compare efficiency wise

I see.

I'm using the exact same values as the stock fuel cell, so they should perform identically. I'm mainly interested in seeing if the fuel cell UI works properly (the old ModuleGenerator-based fuel cell ended up showing the on and off button at the same time).

In that case, I should be able to close both issues, and move on to looking at the DRE/stock reentry issue / dependency checking.

Yeah, I only saw one button at a time.

BTW, the heatshield code posted above does not appear to actually use the ablator, I brought a capsule in from the mun on a high speed reentry with two aerobreaking skips and didn't see any change in the ablator. I know it's copied from stock, but I'm wondering if something is missing.

My tests show that the fuel cell UI works perfect, though it never completely fills EC, I suspect that's a stock thing.

How does this compare with the performance of the stock fuel cell part? Does that also fail to fill EC?

However the Service Module has lost it's decouple.

Sounds like an issue with the AnimatedDecouplers plugin.

They both appear to restore ElectricCharge at 1.5 per second and otherwise behave identically.

Also re: the red tinge you mentioned, I do kinda see a bit of a red tinge when the parts are transparent before being attached to the craft, but once attached it doesn't appear to be noticeable.

Thirdly, I noticed a small lighter-coloured slice on the flat top of the Mk1-2 pod cover. Fourthly, and I think this is an older issue that's resolved by installing a dependency or something, the fuel cell I tried to attach to the service module radially ended up floating off to the side a bit.

Some relevant screens:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434538568

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434538603

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434538658

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434538628

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.