[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

I hereby retract my earlier request to add more monopropellant to the SDHI Service Module. The reason I was seeing so little monoprop in it was because I had two mods installed that were conflicting with each other, namely Interstellar Fuel Switch & Modular Fuel Tanks. After removing Modular Fuel Tanks, the problem vanished and now the service module has 100 units of monoprop like I remember it having before.

11 hours ago, StevieC said:

I hereby retract my earlier request to add more monopropellant to the SDHI Service Module. The reason I was seeing so little monoprop in it was because I had two mods installed that were conflicting with each other, namely Interstellar Fuel Switch & Modular Fuel Tanks. After removing Modular Fuel Tanks, the problem vanished and now the service module has 100 units of monoprop like I remember it having before.

No worries, thanks for the heads-up :)

Hey Sumghai, I think your nice-looking LES still uses an outdated tech node (I think Squad dropped the node after 1.0 or so) in its cfg:

TechRequired = largeControl

At least for me this means it won't show up in a career game at all. (To my best knowledge I have no tech-tree altering mods installed)

I think it's now called Specialized Control?

42 minutes ago, TheWampa said:

Hey Sumghai, I think your nice-looking LES still uses an outdated tech node (I think Squad dropped the node after 1.0 or so) in its cfg:

At least for me this means it won't show up in a career game at all. (To my best knowledge I have no tech-tree altering mods installed)

Thanks for the heads-up!

Yes, largeControl is deprecated - I based the SDHI LES config file on the last known release of the KSPX one, so that accidentally crept in.

I'm thinking that I'll put the SDHI one under TechRequired = landing instead, to keep in line with the stock KSP one. Of course, this fix will probably have to wait until I figure out how to write a proper testing contract that only tests the entire SDHI SMS stack (and not individual components).

On 2/18/2016 at 5:38 AM, TheWampa said:

i use the following ModuleManager script to fix this and other parts which still use largeControl (for instance, AerojetKerbodyne).

@PART[*]:HAS[#TechRequired[largeControl]]
{
	@TechRequired = specializedControl
}

1 minute ago, davidy12 said:

Okay. May I ask something else, what's next?

You've essentially completed this mod :D 

Let's see:

- #61: Restoring the inflation collar capability; I'm entertaining the idea of a separate add-on, consisting of a lightweight standalone plugin with a small selection of flotation devices of varying sizes, shapes and capabilities. SDHI SMS will simply come with a MM patch that detects if this plugin is installed, and enables the heatshield's built-in flotation bags accordingly.

- #64: Revamp the IACBM docking port; this is dependent on the FusTek overhaul I've started working on last week. In both cases, the goal is to design the IACBMs to limit docking angles to 90 degree increments without relying on MechJeb or other docking aid mods. This will require tricky work with colliders, acquire/capture ranges/rotations, re-engagement distances and other parameters.

- #80: Put the LES in a valid tech node; easy fix, but can wait until the next update along with the other issues.

- #81: Disable autogenerated part testing contracts, and replace with contracts that test the entire SMS stack (one suborbital, one LKO and one Munar flight)

3 minutes ago, sumghai said:

Let's see:

- #61: Restoring the inflation collar capability; I'm entertaining the idea of a separate add-on, consisting of a lightweight standalone plugin with a small selection of flotation devices of varying sizes, shapes and capabilities. SDHI SMS will simply come with a MM patch that detects if this plugin is installed, and enables the heatshield's built-in flotation bags accordingly.

- #64: Revamp the IACBM docking port; this is dependent on the FusTek overhaul I've started working on last week. In both cases, the goal is to design the IACBMs to limit docking angles to 90 degree increments without relying on MechJeb or other docking aid mods. This will require tricky work with colliders, acquire/capture ranges/rotations, re-engagement distances and other parameters.

- #80: Put the LES in a valid tech node; easy fix, but can wait until the next update along with the other issues.

- #81: Disable autogenerated part testing contracts, and replace with contracts that test the entire SMS stack (one suborbital, one LKO and one Munar flight)

I'm in favor of the final one. :D 

I've found that using the Fuel Tanks Plus FL-T50 and a Vanguard Astrodynamics VX-O1 "Impulse" orbital engine gives more delta-V than the Terrier. Not a lot more, but just enough difference that it provides a way to build the SDHI service module into a derivative of the game's stock "Kerbal-X" rocket. Will post here with pics of said derivative shortly once I've got it built and successfully flight-tested.

On 2/12/2016 at 11:20 PM, sumghai said:

Okay folks, I've managed to sneak in a few last-minute fixes/features before tomorrow's release:

- Support for @tg626's Docking Target mod, via a patch that only applies if his mod is installed concurrently with SDHI

I'm hononered good modder.  (I'll be uploading my jazz to the new Spacedock shortly)

Can you also add a patch for the KURS style docking camera (from OLDD)? I think it involves adding the following code in a new MM config (IIRC). 

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode],!MODULE[DockingCameraModule]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = DockingCameraModule
allowedDistance = 1000
nightVisionArgs = 0.5,0.7,0.5,0.5
targetCrossColor = 0.9,0.0,0.0,1.0
targetCrossColorOLDD = 0.0,0.0,0.9,1.0
noise = true
}
} 

Small request for a minor tweak: Can you add an alternate texture for the heat-shield, one to indicate the presence of a hatch to allow crew to access things behind the command-module for when crew may need to pass through the back into modules behind the Avionics Ring?

On 24/02/2016 at 10:41 AM, StevieC said:
1 hour ago, StevieC said:

Small request for a minor tweak: Can you add an alternate texture for the heat-shield, one to indicate the presence of a hatch to allow crew to access things behind the command-module for when crew may need to pass through the back into modules behind the Avionics Ring?

I've found that using the Fuel Tanks Plus FL-T50 and a Vanguard Astrodynamics VX-O1 "Impulse" orbital engine gives more delta-V than the Terrier. Not a lot more, but just enough difference that it provides a way to build the SDHI service module into a derivative of the game's stock "Kerbal-X" rocket. Will post here with pics of said derivative shortly once I've got it built and successfully flight-tested.

Noted - will keep that in mind for the next update.

Sadly the latest version of Vanguard Astrodynamics' engine pack has eliminated the Impulse engine, so my earlier derivative can no longer exist, but the request for an option to have a hatch in the heat-shield still stands.

6 minutes ago, StevieC said:

Sadly the latest version of Vanguard Astrodynamics' engine pack has eliminated the Impulse engine, so my earlier derivative can no longer exist, but the request for an option to have a hatch in the heat-shield still stands.

I'll look into the latter in the future, but no promises.

I have found a little hiccup in what I assume is the attachment nodes for the side fairings. Its a very minor thing, but something I spotted quickly so I assume others have too, and I know that with your attention to detail @sumghai you'll want to adjust it. There's a gap in the seam between the two fairings, enough that you can see through it. 

r2UiyNk.jpg

2 hours ago, technerd89 said:

I have found a little hiccup in what I assume is the attachment nodes for the side fairings. Its a very minor thing, but something I spotted quickly so I assume others have too, and I know that with your attention to detail @sumghai you'll want to adjust it. There's a gap in the seam between the two fairings, enough that you can see through it. 

r2UiyNk.jpg

I couldn't fix this one to my satisfaction, because bringing the shroud closer would cause them to collide with the adapter when jettisoned.

First I'd like to say that I love this parts pack, and I use at least one component of it in just about every CSM I build—especially the decoupler/avionics ring and parachute docking port. Here's a couple of things I've noticed since I started playing with it:

- For some reason the decoupler won't fire through staging for me. I need to either do it through an action group or just right click the avionics ring. Happens for both versions of the ring. Not a major problem but slightly annoying.

- When staging is enabled on the COT parachute decoupler, it still does not appear in the staging tree.

- As has been mentioned before here, the fairings don't work for me; they explode immediately as soon as they're decoupled. I have animated decouplers installed but still no dice. Perhaps there's a more recent version of the plugin floating around that I'm not aware of? Mine is dated Feb 10.

- I second the request for KURS docking camera support.

- I often use these parts in conjunction with Near Future Spacecraft's Mk 3-9 cockpit; any chance of an LES shroud to fit it? The current one is a little too squat and the access hatch is in the wrong place for that pod, but otherwise it's very close.

- Since 1.0.5 allows engine shrouds to be disabled in the VAB, I don't see the point of the fairingless Terrier anymore. Am I missing something?

And as a final way of saying thanks, here's my latest Mun/Minmus transfer vehicle and lander. About a zillion mods are installed besides this one, but the SDHI parts are an essential part of this build.

oF7HY4s.png?1

Edited by Kirk0007

39 minutes ago, Kirk0007 said:

First I'd like to say that I love this parts pack, and I use at least one component of it in just about every CSM I build—especially the decoupler/avionics ring and parachute docking port. Here's a couple of things I've noticed since I started playing with it:

- For some reason the decoupler won't fire through staging for me. I need to either do it through an action group or just right click the avionics ring. Happens for both versions of the ring. Not a major problem but slightly annoying.

- When staging is enabled on the COT parachute decoupler, it still does not appear in the staging tree.

- As has been mentioned before here, the fairings don't work for me; they explode immediately as soon as they're decoupled. I have animated decouplers installed but still no dice. Perhaps there's a more recent version of the plugin floating around that I'm not aware of? Mine is dated Feb 10.

- I often use these parts in conjunction with Near Future Spacecraft's Mk 3-9 cockpit; any chance of an LES shroud to fit it? The current one is a little too squat and the access hatch is in the wrong place for that pod, but otherwise it's very close.

- Since 1.0.5 allows engine shrouds to be disabled in the VAB, I don't see the point of the fairingless Terrier anymore. Am I missing something?

And as a final way of saying thanks, here's my latest Mun/Minmus transfer vehicle and lander. About a zillion mods are installed besides this one, but the SDHI parts are an essential part of this build.

The avionics ring / service modules do not stage by design and must be decoupled manually through context menu or action group.

Fairings exploding:  Sounds like an outdated version of SDHI. The colliders had to be completely reworked when concave colliders support was removed from KSP. 

Terrier: As far as usage, no, there's no point in using it over the stock version. I imagine (hope) that the part stays in the game for backwards save game compatibility. Though maybe it could be removed from the editor listing by changing its category to something non-existent? @sumghai

Re: Chute. Sounds like you also need to update Real Chute. There was a staging issue with it but I think that's resolved now?

Edited by Starwaster

40 minutes ago, Kirk0007 said:

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

The avionics ring / service modules do not stage by design and must be decoupled manually through context menu or action group.

Fairings exploding:  Sounds like an outdated version of SDHI. The colliders had to be completely reworked when concave colliders support was removed from KSP. 

Terrier: As far as usage, no, there's no point in using it over the stock version. I imagine (hope) that the part stays in the game for backwards save game compatibility. Though maybe it could be removed from the editor listing by changing its category to something non-existent? @sumghai

As per the FAQ in the OP and @Starwaster's comment, the Service Module / Avionics Ring decoupler is deliberately designed to not be staged - this is an anti-frustration feature to stop panicking users from spacebar-spamming staging and accidentally leaving their pod stranded in orbit with no way to get home.

Please check that you have the latest versions of SDHI SMS (fairing colliders reworked as per @Starwaster's comments), Animated Decouplers and RealChutes (@stupid_chris pushed out a special fix for SDHI SMS a little while back)

Noted on GitHub as Issue #83.

I have no plans to provide support for other command pods.

Since this seems to be a common request, I'd better update the FAQ.

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

Yep, that's a sensible suggestion - thanks!

What I'll do for the next update is to hide the bundled fairingless Terrier from the editor to ensure backwards compatibility, and then completely remove the part two or three updates after that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.