[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

@Jhorriga, I suspect you do not understand the full situation.

Yes, Comfortable Landing is already released, and I have been aware of it quite some time before you first asked about my flotation collar. The problem is that the way the plugin is written right now, airbags and buoys cannot coexist on the same part, as documented on the GitHub wiki - my desire is for the SDHI SMS heatshield to be able to support both the airbags for ground landings and flotation collars/buoys for splashdowns simultaneously. Based on my last correspondence with @Icecovery , he either does not understand my request, or does not wish to implement it.

I may consider resuming work on my own derivative flotation collar plugin in the distant future; right now, I'm putting this feature on the backburner.

*I've been dabbling in plugin coding for RimWorld recently with the help of a more experienced modder, and so far I'm enjoying the process.

It does make sense that air bags designed as floats wouldn't be ideal for lithobreaking and vice versa, but logically you'd think it would at least marginally work for either.

TBH, I think a partial implementation would be better then no implementation.  Even if it only works as a flotation bag, that's probably the primary landing mode.

Just a thought, you can't do both in the same part, but could you have both types in different parts of the same ship?  Maybe you could have airbags in the CM and floats in the heat shield?

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Hey Sumghai--is a general notice to mods that include agencies for contracts. Squad changed how agency titles are detected in contracts (it's a simple line, title = rather than name = ), and otherwise, any contracts your agency generates show up as a blank under the title. 

I found this out the hard way, or rather Bruno did, and I think your mod had that. You may want to correct it in future releases (it's very easy, literally just one additional line of code in the agents.cfg). 

Edited by Synthesis

1 hour ago, Synthesis said:

Hey Sumghai--is a general notice to mods that include agencies for contracts. Squad changed how agency titles are detected in contracts (it's a simple line, title = rather than name = ), and otherwise, any contracts your agency generates show up as a blank under the title. 

-snip-

I found this out the hard way, or rather Bruno did, and I think your mod had that. You may want to correct it in future releases (it's very easy, literally just one additional line of code in the agents.cfg). 

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll look into it over the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Gunslinger1 said:

Hey sumghai, is there a way to switch the chute/docking ring to a different docking port? More like the ones from cxaerospace?

I already tried that a few pages back, on  the same ports, it "works" but the chute model won't appear.  It would be awesome, but I don't think Sumghai wants to add compatibility for every port out there.

3 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I already tried that a few pages back, on  the same ports, it "works" but the chute model won't appear.  It would be awesome, but I don't think Sumghai wants to add compatibility for every port out there.

What about a stackable chute part without a docking port so we can just add that ourselves?

8 hours ago, Gunslinger1 said:

What about a stackable chute part without a docking port so we can just add that ourselves?

I tried that too.  Unfortunately, if the docking port isn't a standard height then the BPC won't fit properly.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I have no plans to support other docking ports beyond the stock Clamp-O-Tron or the FusTek IACBM. It is not practical to make a universal stack chute part and the Boost Protect Cover compatible with the varying dimensions of all the third-party docking adapters out there.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2017 at 6:00 PM, Synthesis said:

Well, after testing I can confirm that it's Smokescreen causing the issue--and seemingly nothing else. I guess I better ask around Smokescreen as well, but it's good to know Real Plume works fine. 

I ran into the same problem and apparently it might have some other effects on my rocket flipping, some issues with the decouplers, etc because they all disappeared when I deleted Smokescreen (but not other adds since as RealPlume).

1 hour ago, gc1ceo said:

I ran into the same problem and apparently it might have some other effects on my rocket flipping, some issues with the decouplers, etc because they all disappeared when I deleted Smokescreen (but not other adds since as RealPlume).

Make sure you have the most recent Smokescreen

8 hours ago, StevieC said:

Would it be unreasonable to ask for a ladder integrated into the blast-protective-cover and/or the side of the avionics-ring/svc module, lining up with the stock Mk1 capsule's ladder?

I haven't really seen to need to add ladders myself, since I just position the FASA launch tower crew platform so that the deck is close to the bottom of the BPC/Mk1-2 capsule hatch area.

I like to attach a retractable ladder to the service module to allow a Kerbonaut to climb down the side of the service module while in orbit to retrieve things in case I mount an experiment to the side of the service module that needs retrieval

it would be nice to have some EVA rails around the SM.  But, there is already an EVA rail mod that works, occasionally, if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of EVA work I'll use them on the SM.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @sumghai@Starwaster

I'm currently trying to use the AnimatedDecouplers mod, but I'm having some issues.
As of your SDHI part, it animates once it decouples. But for me the animation starts the second I load it to the launchpad. May I ask how you exported that part in order for the animation to play as soon as I decouple? Thanks!

Some things from the log:

Spoiler

[LOG 19:30:56.190] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart(), isDecoupled = False
[LOG 19:30:56.190] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart() - Animation found named FH_DecoupleAni
[LOG 19:30:56.192] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart(), isDecoupled = False
[LOG 19:30:56.192] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart() - Animation found named FH_DecoupleAni

My config:

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler
        anchorName = FH_Decoupler
        ejectionForce = 550
        explosiveNodeID = srf
        staged = true
        animationName = FH_DecoupleAni
        waitForAnimation = false
        layer = 1
    }

Edited by damonvv

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

Hey @sumghai@Starwaster

I'm currently trying to use the AnimatedDecouplers mod, but I'm having some issues.
As of your SDHI part, it animates once it decouples. But for me the animation starts the second I load it to the launchpad. May I ask how you exported that part in order for the animation to play as soon as I decouple? Thanks!

Some things from the log:

Hide contents

[LOG 19:30:56.190] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart(), isDecoupled = False
[LOG 19:30:56.190] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart() - Animation found named FH_DecoupleAni
[LOG 19:30:56.192] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart(), isDecoupled = False
[LOG 19:30:56.192] ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnStart() - Animation found named FH_DecoupleAni

My config:

Hide contents

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler
        anchorName = FH_Decoupler
        ejectionForce = 550
        explosiveNodeID = srf
        staged = true
        animationName = FH_DecoupleAni
        waitForAnimation = false
        layer = 1
    }

Unless it's also doing an unwanted decouple then there's nothing for me to do here. The module looks like it's doing what it's supposed to. That tiny log extract you posted indicates that it found the animations that you told it to look for. That's all.

@almagnus1 yes.

6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Unless it's also doing an unwanted decouple then there's nothing for me to do here. The module looks like it's doing what it's supposed to. That tiny log extract you posted indicates that it found the animations that you told it to look for. That's all.

I did some more testing, and found this in the log:

Spoiler

[ERR 03:00:51.397] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AnimatedDecouplers.ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 03:00:51.399] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AnimatedDecouplers.ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
    Vessel:Initialize(Boolean)
    Part:decouple(Single)
    ModuleAnchoredDecoupler:OnDecouple()
    AnimatedDecouplers.ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler:OnActive()
    Part:ModulesOnActivate()
    Part:force_activate(Boolean)
    Part:force_activate()
    KSP.UI.Screens.StageManager:ActivateStage(Int32)
    KSP.UI.Screens.StageManager:ActivateNextStage()
    FlightInputHandler:Update()

Still the same config I used, just exported in unity so the "Play Automatically" is turned off in the animation. So far the part decouples like it should, it's not the playing the animation.

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

I did some more testing, and found this in the log:

Hide contents

[ERR 03:00:51.397] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AnimatedDecouplers.ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 03:00:51.399] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AnimatedDecouplers.ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
    Vessel:Initialize(Boolean)
    Part:decouple(Single)
    ModuleAnchoredDecoupler:OnDecouple()
    AnimatedDecouplers.ModuleAnimatedAnchoredDecoupler:OnActive()
    Part:ModulesOnActivate()
    Part:force_activate(Boolean)
    Part:force_activate()
    KSP.UI.Screens.StageManager:ActivateStage(Int32)
    KSP.UI.Screens.StageManager:ActivateNextStage()
    FlightInputHandler:Update()

Still the same config I used, just exported in unity so the "Play Automatically" is turned off in the animation. So far the part decouples like it should, it's not the playing the animation.

We should probably move this to private since this isn't really an SDHI issue... but the initial problem has ceased now, doesn't play the animation unbidden? Just decoupling without animating?

Can you send me the files necessary to test that part?

Edit: Decided at long last to create a landing page for Animated Decouplers that support issues can be directed to:  @sumghai

Edited by Starwaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.