[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

6 hours ago, Starwaster said:

We should probably move this to private since this isn't really an SDHI issue... but the initial problem has ceased now, doesn't play the animation unbidden? Just decoupling without animating?

Can you send me the files necessary to test that part?

Edit: Decided at long last to create a landing page for Animated Decouplers that support issues can be directed to:  @sumghai

That's great, thanks! Just a smaller question for you @sumghai, may I ask how you exported the service module? What were your settings for the animation component? Thanks!

19 hours ago, damonvv said:

Just a smaller question for you @sumghai, may I ask how you exported the service module? What were your settings for the animation component? Thanks!

I exported the Service Module and associated models from Unity 5.4 with KSP PartTools.

The Service Module is actually two separate models - the SM itself and the umbilical. Only the umbilical model has the animation, which is simply a 90-degree rotation of the entire mesh over ten frames.

The animation component is attached to the root of the Blender model itself rather than the dummy transform I usually use the PartTool script.

0VcLKyO.png

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sumghai said:

Could you please describe which parts are affected, and which categories they should show up under?

Just off the top of my head, the heat shield is in structural parts, the docking port and decoupler is not in the docoupler category, neither is the service module ring.

18 hours ago, mostlydave said:

Just off the top of my head, the heat shield is in structural parts, the docking port and decoupler is not in the docoupler category, neither is the service module ring.

If you could get me a complete list of correct category assignments, I'll see what I can do this weekend.

On 3/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, Ethanrocco said:

@sumghai I have no idea why but my LES Rocket FX is Constantly on. Can you please tell me what is happening and how can i fix this?? Please help.

http://gph.is/2I34uB0 (Contains GameData Folder and LES FX)

Please don't use animated GIFs of low-resolution screenshots - all the folder names are pixellated beyond readability.

Have you tried a stripped-down version of your game installation with just SDHI and the bare-minimum dependencies?

--------------------------------------------

By the way, folks - I'm heading off on vacation from 14 March through to 4 Apr. I'll look into updating this mod for KSP 1.4 when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I should pop in to mention that the mk.1-3 pod does fit in the current BPC, the only problem might be with the hatches not lining up.  The mk.1-2 pod is still in game though, it just has to be unhidden.

Also, does anyone know how to get the stock parachute fallback script to work?  I know it says for emergency use only, but Realchutes hasn't been updated yet.  To my eye, it looks like the code should kick in automatically if RC is not installed, but the chute is not showing ingame.

Edit: it looks like all of the decouplers in the SMS are broken.  Otherwise, everything seems to work so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45p16zul635159w/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by Capt. Hunt

8 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Just thought I should pop in to mention that the mk.1-3 pod does fit in the current BPC, the only problem might be with the hatches not lining up.  The mk.1-2 pod is still in game though, it just has to be unhidden.

Also, does anyone know how to get the stock parachute fallback script to work?  I know it says for emergency use only, but Realchutes hasn't been updated yet.  To my eye, it looks like the code should kick in automatically if RC is not installed, but the chute is not showing ingame.

Edit: it looks like all of the decouplers in the SMS are broken.  Otherwise, everything seems to work so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45p16zul635159w/KSP.log?dl=0

No might be about it, the hatch in the PBC isn't going to line up. Also it must be rotated 180 degrees to get the umbilical slot to line up with the umbilical.

Stock chute module fallback worked for me as is except that 10%-20% of the time on the last 100-1000 meters it would suddenly speed up killing the crew instantly (typically by burning up. Post mission report indicated gee-forces of 798 on one occasion and over 65,000 g's on another. Literally it happened so fast that my eye did not have time to register what happened)

You must download the latest release of Animated Decouplers for KSP 1.4.x

Edited by Starwaster

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

No might be about it, the hatch in the PBC isn't going to line up. Also it must be rotated 180 degrees to get the umbilical slot to line up with the umbilical.

Stock chute module fallback worked for me as is except that 10%-20% of the time on the last 100-1000 meters it would suddenly speed up killing the crew instantly (typically by burning up. Post mission report indicated gee-forces of 798 on one occasion and over 65,000 g's on another. Literally it happened so fast that my eye did not have time to register what happened)

You must download the latest release of Animated Decouplers for KSP 1.4.x

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but that chute isn't showing up.  Am I missing something to get it to activate?  

I downloaded animated decouplers right before that test flight.  Unless you've updated since my last post, I should have the current version.  

Also, why would it effect all of the decouplers in the mod?  Only the CM/SM decoupler is animated, right?

4 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but that chute isn't showing up.  Am I missing something to get it to activate?  

I downloaded animated decouplers right before that test flight.  Unless you've updated since my last post, I should have the current version.  

Also, why would it effect all of the decouplers in the mod?  Only the CM/SM decoupler is animated, right?

No idea about the chutes

Animated Decouplers actually does more than just animate. It also allows for the part it is on to shield other components. The BPC uses it so it shields the port and the pod. Not sure of its effect on drag but it prevents them from taking convective heat.

The side fairings also use it to protect things attached to the service module.

And the plugin is NOT being loaded according to the log you uploaded. Not sure what version you have but I uploaded another one fairly recently. (22 hour ago)

I certify that it will load and function for both KSP 1.4.0 and 1.4.1

Edited by Starwaster

ok, I'll try installing it again.  Come to think of it, Norton flagged the plugin for low reputation, I thought I told it to restore, but maybe something got messed up. :/

Edit: reinstalling Animated Decouplers seemed to fix that issue.  I'm still not sure why the chutes don't work, IIRC, I had the same problem the last time an update broke RC.  I don't currently have RC installed at all, if that makes any difference.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

4 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

good news everyone,

Realchutes has been updated to 1.4.1, which means the SDHI SMS should be fully functional

Just a Head-ups the link in the OP is broken for the Realchutes.

Here is a working link...

Edited by Turk_WLF

43 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I have noticed a rather annoying bug, sometimes one of the attachment nodes for the SM fairing disappears, if you set 3x symmetry the third fairing will clip inside the SM.

Yeah I saw that happen once... decided to disregard it as a fluke but make a mental note about it in case it happens again. 

Not sure yet what (if anything) can be done about it.... have you tried abusing other multicoupler parts with symmetry mode to see if you can break them?

no, I haven't yet, but it certainly wasn't a fluke.  I'm getting it fairly consistently, if I'd already placed the fairings on a rocket and need to remove them to add something to the SM.  It doesn't do it every time, but probably 3 times out of 4.

Hmm, I've not been able to replicate the issue, and I'm not sure how it could happen, can you post a log file and some pics?  What other mods are you using?  Are you sure you've put it together right?

Edited by Capt. Hunt

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm back from vacation, I can start looking into revamping this mod for KSP 1.4.x.

Due to the numerous changes in the base game and the litany of issues, I suspect the best thing to do would be to remake all the parts from scratch - see my newly-reopened dev thread    for details.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.