[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

6 hours ago, sumghai said:

Other than the fact the engine and fuel tank and combined into the same part, the fuel capacity and engine specs are still the same as in V3.2.4 - i.e. a delta-V of around 500~700 m/s.

That doesn't sound right, either. I've never had overheating just by running the engines on full power over long periods of time.

Ok. Maybe I miscalculated, but it seemed to me that the engine has been running more than 500-700 Delta V. the Case of overheating there was a time, I'll keep looking. So far there have been several tests on a clean install of the game. Checked the correctness of corrections in the configuration files. Today I will deal with both versions in my main career and check on the ships I have saved.

I've spoken to sarbian, and he's in the process of modifying MechJeb to handle delta-V calculations for my edge case of having a decoupler, fuel tank and engine in the same part, so it's highly likely I won't have to split up the Service Module.

As for the SM's very high apparent delta-V, I'm going to wait until sarbian's changes have been implemented before I can accurately tune the LF/LOX capacity. I do know that the real-life Orion/SLS European Service Module has a delta-V capability of 1800 m/s, so a target value of ~2000 m/s for the SDHI SM wouldn't be too unrealistic.

@Sokol_323 - I think I've gained some more insight into the overheating issue.

Both the V3 and V4 revamp versions of the Service Module contain a fuel cell converter, which by default generates heat and will automatically shut down if it overheats to 50% of the Service Module's max temp (2000 K).

The V4 revamp SM now integrates a LF/LOX engine, which obviously also generates heat. The error message you are seeing is due the to fuel cell converter being overheated by the engine running from the same part, so if the converter was also running it would automatically shut down, while the engine will continue to run as usual.

I have been experimenting with adding a ModuleActiveRadiator to the SM (since the real-life Orion SM also have radiators built into its propulsion trunk itself. However, I think reducing the amount of fuel and delta-V capability of the SM would also help, as it is towards the end of very long burns that overheating becomes an issue.

Of course, I'm waiting on the MechJeb staging fix for delta-V calcs on combined engine/decoupler parts, so I can't do anything about this just yet.

Is there a way to rewrite the docking port so the chutes work without RealChute? If the dual stage drogue/full chute option doesn't work without RealChute I'd be totally fine skipping the drogue and just including the full chute.

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Is there a way to rewrite the docking port so the chutes work without RealChute? If the dual stage drogue/full chute option doesn't work without RealChute I'd be totally fine skipping the drogue and just including the full chute. 

The current version of RealChutes works just fine, other than for that one edge case / visual discrepancy, which doesn't affect the safety of the landing. So no need for a rewrite using stock PartModules.

The proposed fix that stupid_chris is working on for RC2 is simply a nice-to-have.

16 minutes ago, sumghai said:

The current version of RealChutes works just fine, other than for that one edge case / visual discrepancy, which doesn't affect the safety of the landing. So no need for a rewrite using stock PartModules.

The proposed fix that stupid_chris is working on for RC2 is simply a nice-to-have.

Sorry...I don't want to install realchutes. I'm happy with the way stock chutes work and have lots of craft already built. I was hoping to use your mod, but not going to change my whole game over to realchutes :)

That's why I was hoping for a way to change the part - even if only for my own game. I know quite a bit about MM configs, but parachute configs are really confusing.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:30 AM, sumghai said:

@Sokol_323 - I think I've gained some more insight into the overheating issue.

Both the V3 and V4 revamp versions of the Service Module contain a fuel cell converter, which by default generates heat and will automatically shut down if it overheats to 50% of the Service Module's max temp (2000 K).

The V4 revamp SM now integrates a LF/LOX engine, which obviously also generates heat. The error message you are seeing is due the to fuel cell converter being overheated by the engine running from the same part, so if the converter was also running it would automatically shut down, while the engine will continue to run as usual.

I have been experimenting with adding a ModuleActiveRadiator to the SM (since the real-life Orion SM also have radiators built into its propulsion trunk itself. However, I think reducing the amount of fuel and delta-V capability of the SM would also help, as it is towards the end of very long burns that overheating becomes an issue.

Of course, I'm waiting on the MechJeb staging fix for delta-V calcs on combined engine/decoupler parts, so I can't do anything about this just yet.

Good. Quite possibly you're right. Overheating and explosion had happened during the test, when it was included the fuel cell converter. In all other tests there were no problems, because I used solar panels and did not include fuel cells. And why do we need fuel cells in the service module? As far as I know, the original Orion and european ATV use solar panels to generate electricity.

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Sorry...I don't want to install realchutes. I'm happy with the way stock chutes work and have lots of craft already built. I was hoping to use your mod, but not going to change my whole game over to realchutes :)

That's why I was hoping for a way to change the part - even if only for my own game. I know quite a bit about MM configs, but parachute configs are really confusing.

I don't want to install RealChute either. And I use both versions of the mod without it. And I have normally work parachutes. I did not make any changes to the mod, only tweaked the configuration files so that the details from both versions of the mod could work together. But there is one thing: disclosure of the main parachute occurs very rapidly, and if the descent speed is high there is the risk of tear. To avoid this, I put one or two stock brake parachute and adjust the disclosure of the main at a descent speed of not more than 100 m / s.

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Older releases of SDHI SMS include a contingency MM patch that uses stock parachute modules, but I don't plan on including that in with the V4 revamp, since I consider RealChutes to be a hard dependency.

You're more than welcome to ask someone else to write you an MM patch that replaces my default RealChutes implementation with the stock parachute PartModule, but please note I won't be able to provide support for modified/altered versions of SDHI SMS (i.e. Warranty Void if Tampered)

Just now, Sokol_323 said:

Good. Quite possibly you're right. Overheating and explosion had happened during the test, when it was included the fuel cell converter. In all other tests there were no problems, because I used solar panels and did not include fuel cells.

I saw the overheating message myself even when the fuel cell was off, so it didn't matter whether I had solar panels or not.

Just now, Sokol_323 said:

And why do we need fuel cells in the service module? As far as I know, the original Orion and european ATV use solar panels to generate electricity.

Yes, solar panels are the primary power source for the Service Module.

However, I recall that back in the early days of this mod, I was asked by some users to include a fuel cell in the SM, as a backup power source if there was not enough sunlight or if all the solar panels were inoperable for any reason. I figured it was better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

2 minutes ago, sumghai said:

Yes, solar panels are the primary power source for the Service Module.

However, I recall that back in the early days of this mod, I was asked by some users to include a fuel cell in the SM, as a backup power source if there was not enough sunlight or if all the solar panels were inoperable for any reason. I figured it was better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

OK. I absolutely agree with this statement.

1 hour ago, sumghai said:
10 hours ago, Tyko said:

Older releases of SDHI SMS include a contingency MM patch that uses stock parachute modules, but I don't plan on including that in with the V4 revamp, since I consider RealChutes to be a hard dependency.

You're more than welcome to ask someone else to write you an MM patch that replaces my default RealChutes implementation with the stock parachute PartModule, but please note I won't be able to provide support for modified/altered versions of SDHI SMS (i.e. Warranty Void if Tampered)

Thanks. I understand I won't get support. what version of SDHI would still have this? I can download from Github, just not sure how far back to go.

EDIT: Found it in v3.2.4. I'll do some testing..

Edited by Tyko

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Sorry to ask, but when can we expecte the new revamp for this @sumghai?

Not for at least another month, I'm afraid.

As per my latest progress report, I had to significantly rework how I planned to do the Service Module and Crew Module Adapter to work with MechJeb, KER and the new stock stage burn indicator, as well as completely redo the tutorial for the GitHub wiki.

I still have some testing and documentation to do, as well as design a much nicer brochure for the OP.

V4.0.0 released - see first post for download link

4.0.0 - 27 October 2018
---------------------------

WARNING: This is a craft and save-breaking update; it is recommended you abort / recover existing SDHI craft before installing this update

Features:
 - All parts, models and textures rebuilt from the ground up for KSP 1.5.x
 - New Launch Abort System uses dual-mode Solid Fuel rocket engines
     - Jettison motors fire during default staging to pull Boost Protective Cover away from Mk1-3 Command Pod
     - Abort motors can be activated by changing engine modes using Abort Action Group
 - Localization support added
     - en-us included by default

Changes / Fixes:
 - Several parts renamed to be more accurate to real-life Orion/SLS spacecraft
 - Updated Boost Protective Cover hatch cover and umbilical slot locations to be compatible with new stock Mk1-3 Command Pod
 - Removed jettison rocket engines from Boost Protective Cover, as Launch Abort System has now dedicated jettison motors
 - Parachute-equipped Clamp-O-Tron docking port now uses its own partial Clamp-O-Tron model and texture
 - Removed parachute-equipped IACBM docking port
     - This is due to the indeterminate status of FusTek Station Parts mod
     - The IACBM docking ring's dimensions also do not aesthetically fit the parts overhaul
 - Service Module now split into two parts
     - The Crew Module Adapter (formerly the Avionics Ring), a decoupler compatible with the SDHI 2.5m Heat Shield
     - The Service Module, a propulsion trunk with an integrated and uprated LF/LOX variant of O-10 "Puff" rocket engine
     - Building the a CSM stack no longer requires the LV-909
 - Removed batteries and fuel cell from Crew Module Adapter
     - Crew Module Adapter is too small to realistically accomodate these features
     - Service Module still includes batteries and fuel cells
 - Removed support for a number of outdated third-party add-ons

We did it, everyone! Enjoy the all-new, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up SDHI SMS!

If you want to support me without paying real money, please download my add-ons from CurseForge - the more downloads I get from there, the more Author Rewards points I can redeem from Curse, which will help me buy bowls of ramen to keep me going during late-night modding sessions

I will admit, I kind-of wish there were a toggle for the service-module adaptor to allow for bare truss with room for solar-panels that would hit the conical surface when folded back, but I'll examine potential alternative solutions for that issue.

12 minutes ago, StevieC said:

I will admit, I kind-of wish there were a toggle for the service-module adaptor to allow for bare truss with room for solar-panels that would hit the conical surface when folded back, but I'll examine potential alternative solutions for that issue. 

I decided against having a truss variant, because the latest iteration of the real-life Orion SM Adapter is now a monolithic truncated cone.

What I tend to do is to rotate the solar panels such that they're pointing up and away from the Spacecraft Adapter. With careful positioning, it is perfectly possible to place them without interfering with RCS thrusters:

tutorial_step8.png

the specific panels I was thinking of are the YF8 Circular Concentrating Photovoltaic Array from Near Future Solar which I was able to fit on the service module's sides on the old SDHI mod IF I rotated the truss-sided adaptor 90 degrees.

wF7SCQc.png

Handy to be able to use when trying to build a service-module based on the old Constellation version of Orion.

Edited by StevieC
Adding a picture

32 minutes ago, StevieC said:

the specific panels I was thinking of are the YF8 Circular Concentrating Photovoltaic Array from Near Future Solar which I was able to fit on the service module's sides on the old SDHI mod IF I rotated the truss-sided adaptor 90 degrees.

Yeah, well, those panels are just completely wonky when retracted.

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

please could you add Snacks! support?

I'm not familiar with that mod.

Based on a cursory read, it seems that it only uses a single Snacks resource. How much do each Kerbal consume per day?

Just so you know, this is my strategy for handling life support in SDHI SMS:

• For a crew of three Kerbals, the combined Command & Service Module stack should provide up to eight days' worth of provisions (i.e. 1 week + 1 day emergency stash)
  • Only gases/liquids can be transferred through the Crew Module Adapter umbilical
  • Therefore, solid life support resources (e.g. Food from TAC-LS, Supplies from USI-LS) are only stored in the Command pod itself
  • Gas/liquid life support resources (e.g. Water, WasteWater, Oxygen and CarbonDioxide from TAC-LS) can be split across the Command Pod and Service Module in a 3:5 ratio
  • If a life support mod already adds more than eight days of whatever resource, SDHI SMS won't patch that resource

Since the Snacks resource sounds like a solid resource, it would only get added to the Command pod (and not the Service Module).

The big question is - does the Snacks mod already add Snacks to the Mk1-3 Pod? If so, is it more than the amount needed to feed three Kerbals for eight days?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.