[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

12 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

It does add Snacks to the Mk 1-3 pod, and I think it has enough for 8 days and three kerbals?

In which case, SDHI SMS does not need to add anything to support Snacks, since as per my previous post no Snacks will be stored in the Service Module.

11 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Finally! Any whom how do I manage action groups with the LES on this ship

See the tutorial on the GitHub Repo wiki.

& any chance of uploading to ckan? All the dependencies are updated on their

Sorry, no plans for CKAN indexing - see my response in the FAQ in the first post.

& how can I upload photo's of the craft i come up with?

Upload your screenshots to an image host like Imgur, then post the URL of the photos in your forums reply.

12 hours ago, sumghai said:
On 10/31/2018 at 9:26 AM, Barzon Kerman said:

It does add Snacks to the Mk 1-3 pod, and I think it has enough for 8 days and three kerbals?

In which case, SDHI SMS does not need to add anything to support Snacks, since as per my previous post no Snacks will be stored in the Service Module.

Just a thought...the actual Orion SM carries air and water for the the crew. Since Snacks are kind of a catch-all for "life support" one could argue that the SM could carry some Snacks (or Supplies for USI-LS). Also, the actual Orion + SM configuration is designed to support a crew for up to 21 days, so adding some additional capacity to the SM would more closely align the life support capabilities of your mod to its RL counterpart.

The alternative viewpoint is to look at mission capabilities instead of actual days - since a Mun mission can be easily completed in 8 days due to the smaller system size it could be argued that 8 days in the Kerbal Universe is equivalent to 21 days in RL. So two ways to look at it I guess  :) 

Edited by Tyko

18 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I agree with you @Tyko, I asked beacuse when i tried to do a simple crew rotation, the crew almost died. Maybe its just because im bad at rondevous so I use MechJeb, and it might just be MechJeb's fault.

Kerbin orbit rendezvous, or around one of the moons? If it's around Kerbin, as long as it's not terribly inclined, you can simply run the station a little higher orbit than your typical orbital insertion altitude (I like to park my stations and other targets at 125km and launch to 100km), wait until the station is at about a 60* angle above the west horizon, and launch. You'll wind up behind and below the target station, then you have at most an hour's wait until you can start a Hohmann transfer with a mid-transfer alignment burn. With practice and some experience in timing the launch, you can be docked to your station in under 30 minutes.

Moons are a whole 'nother balllgame, though. Again, having different altitudes for orbits helps you make the catch-up faster. I don't usually put stations around the Mun (too much dV to the surface and back to be worth the effort, imo), but at Minmus, I typically will park stations at 40km or higher, and insert into orbit at 10-15 km. VERY fast catch up, for Minmus anyhow. As for the trip out to Minmus... if you're willing to eat a little bit more dV at departure and a moderate amount more at the arrival end, the transfer from LKO to Minmus can be as short as 1-3 Kerbin days, depending on the dV hit you're willing to take at the Minmus end.

@Tyko @Barzon Kerman - I'm standing by my decision to not explicitly add support for the Snacks! mod. I've definitely been able to complete a Mun mission within eight days, and addition life support supplies in whatever Munar lander you build for your mission will help stretch supplies further.

@Sokol_323 - This mod should actually be fine for 1.4.5, because I actually finished most of the development in that game version. 1.5.x didn't affect my v4 revamp development much, other than having to split the Crew Module Adapter from the Service Module to cater for proper stage delta-V display (stock and MechJeb).

@MaverickSawyer - Interesting, thanks!

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I agree with you @Tyko, I asked beacuse when i tried to do a simple crew rotation, the crew almost died. Maybe its just because im bad at rondevous so I use MechJeb, and it might just be MechJeb's fault.

What.... did MechJeb eat all your snacks, drink all your water and breathe all your oxygen?

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Barzon Kerman said:

No, obviously. Just the automatic rondevous and docking take ages, and by the time it has docked, the crew have eaten all the snacks.

Huh, I didn't know that was still a thing.

That sounds weird that it would take 8 days to rendezvous and dock though maybe that's because I don't know all your circumstances. (or maybe MJ did eat all your snacks!)

I don't use the auto rendezvous myself... If they're both in Kerbin orbit, I just set up a Hohmann's transfer then set up to fine tune to within 100-200 meters. If they're not quite in the same plane but not too far off, fine tune will take care of it as long as they aren't too far off. If it's Mun or Minmus then I enter into a higher orbit than the station or ship I'm docking with and Hohmann transfer as above.

Off topic.

MJ in automatic rendezvous mode makes it very long and uses a large amount of resources (fuel, RCS). At the same time, MJ has a rendezvous planning mode consisting of several consecutive maneuvers that can be set up and controlled independently. This allows you to accurately enough to 100-200 meters to bring one vessel to another. At the same time I for example manage to save resources more than I docked manually. Usually docking with objects in the orbit of Kerbin from start to finish takes no more than 1-2 hours. Docking in the orbit of the Mun usually occurs within the first 2 days from the start. With a Minmus it is a little more difficult because of flight within 8-9 days, but the docking in its orbit on time is much faster because of the smaller sizes of the moon and the required resources.

36 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

100-200 meters accuracy for the planner? Pffft. Quit using the stock settinng. Be bold! Try 10 meters! Yes, it is THAT accurate if used properly.

Don't patronize me.

Maybe I don't WANT to close within 10 meters on the rendezvous

Edited by Starwaster

35 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Don't patronize me.

Maybe I don't WANT to close within 10 meters on the rendezvous

Didn't say you had to. In fact,  I've been using ~50 meters on my last few rendezvous, simply to keep from striking the (rather large) solar arrays of the ship I'm tanking. But it is possible. ;) 

And yeah, MechJeb docking AP is garbage. Honestly, not sure why it's even still in the software package anymore. I've not used it in, oh, four years? Probably more. I'm faster, more accurate, and less MP-intensive than any machine. lol.gif

Edited by MaverickSawyer

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any plans to bring back the APAS style ports from the older fustek compatability patch?  I enjoyed the added challenge of having to fiddle with an orientation specific port, and in the end they look a lot nicer than the stock ports, especially when jammed on a station. If not, would anyone happen to have the old part handy? I can't seem to find a download to grab it, and I'd like to try and hack it into working in 1.5.

1 hour ago, Dedalous said:

Are there any plans to bring back the APAS style ports from the older fustek compatability patch?  I enjoyed the added challenge of having to fiddle with an orientation specific port, and in the end they look a lot nicer than the stock ports, especially when jammed on a station. If not, would anyone happen to have the old part handy? I can't seem to find a download to grab it, and I'd like to try and hack it into working in 1.5.

Just download the previous version and grab the part from there:

https://github.com/sumghai/SDHI_ServiceModuleSystem/releases/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:34 AM, hieywiey said:

Is RealPlume support planned?

Not really, but if you or anyone has put together suitable RealPlume effects for the SMS main engine and the LAS jettison/abort/steering motors, then I'm happy to accept a pull request via GitHub.

V4.0.1 released - see first post for download link

4.0.1 - 25 December 2018
---------------------------

Changes / Fixes:
 - Compatibility Patch for KSP 1.6.x
 - Tweaked textures to better match stock parts

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, folks!

If you want to support me without paying real money, please download my add-ons from CurseForge - the more downloads I get from there, the more Author Rewards points I can redeem from Curse, which will help me buy bowls of ramen to keep me going during late-night modding sessions

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any chance of adding this to Ckan 1.6.1? All the dependency's are updated & are on Ckan. Also how do you stage this?

The service module isn’t decoupled by staging to prevent accidental staging accidents with possible loss of Kerbal life.

Also, the author and maintainer of the mod has made a deliberate choice to not list it on CKAN, for reasons.

Check the FAQ on the first page for deeper insights on both issues. Happy gaming!

34 minutes ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any chance of adding this to Ckan 1.6.1? All the dependency's are updated & are on Ckan. Also how do you stage this?

SDHI SMS v4.0.1 is already on CKAN.  It just has a version typo, being marked for KSP 1.5 rather than KSP 1.6 (which I'll raise as a CKAN issue to resolve).

Just add KSP 1.5 as a compatible KSP version in the CKAN client and refresh and you'll be able to install it.  KSP since 1.5 has had few breaking issue and most mods for KSP 1.5.x (and 1.4.x) will work on KSP 1.6.1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.