Quicksave can Suck Sometimes

Roytronix

So I've finally got my command module from Duna back in Kerbin orbit. I start my deorbit burn, only to realize that it would bring me down on the dark side of Kerbin. Not wanting the recovery forces to have to wait until morning, I aborted my burn and loaded a quicksave.

When the scene loaded, I was in a circular orbit around Duna, three days before my meticulously planned Kerbin transfer window.

Ugh. :mad:

Any other stories of quicksave being a total dipstick?

The worst I've had is losing 4 orbits of Kerbol and then a transfer to Jool because I thought I quicksaved just outside Jool's SoI but hadn't. Aerobraking didn't go as planned, so I quickloaded and ended up back in Kerbin orbit.

Since then I've always either spammed the F5 button when quicksaving or carefully checked for the "Quicksaving..." notification on-screen :P

Funnily enough, it turned out that the craft involved could complete its mission without waiting for the slightly more efficient transfer opportunity, which may go some way to explain why I don't bother with them that much. Overengineering is fun and LV-Ns are amazing.

The only problem I had that I don't blame on myself (which I assume yours is? Surely you didn't save in orbit around Kerbin and then restore to find yourself at Duna?) is that KAS tends to be buggy and your Kerbal can't attach something on his backpack until you unload and reload him. The quickest way to do this is to quicksave and reload it. I hit f5, saw it saying "saving", held F9, and suddenly it was days later.

I *think* I *possibly* hit F9 too quickly but still, it was in the act of saving!

Last night. Quicksave simply WOULD NOT WORK. I'd hit f5 and get no quicksave prompt. Nothing what so ever. The feature was dead. On top of that It wouldn't allow me to go back to space center. The button wad dead. So of course quickload worked. I lost the entire flight... Sucked.

I uh... quicksaved after my deorbit burn for my rover to Duna.

The Parachutes weren't enough... expected. The sky crane wasn't enough to kill lateral velocity and vertical... Unexpected.

Boom. reload. X5

I finally managed the landing. Landed with the rover wheels facing the correct direction and used the brake to slow down.

Remember folks always quicksave before the deorbit burn...

I have a nasty habit of quick saving just before I realize a fatal flaw in my planning.

One time, I hit Laythe's atmosphere at 8.5 km/s, quick saved, and then realized that my velocity was fast enough to shoot me out of the SOI of Jool. I had just separated from my interplanetary boosters, and only had the small amount of fuel required for the lander's operation. I have yet to send a rescue mission.

I judge how long I'll play KSP for the day based on how quickly one of these moments strike.

• 5 months later...

The Loading system needs, at the very least, a note letting you know at what point you will be restoring to. I really like this game, and wish I could play it more, but life dictates otherwise. I lost untold hours a short while ago due to a previous quickload...and it makes it all very discouraging. I realize it's in beta....maybe I'll just wait till they release the full version.

Ooooh, That does indeed sound good. I shall be making use of that new feature!

I rarely use quicksave, I like to play realistically. But when I do, I always press the save button instead of the load button...

That sucks OP, I've done that before. I used to take copies of my persistent file periodically so I could go back if I wanted. But that was a pain and wasted space, so I've automated the process and made it much more efficient by using a proper version control system (git).

Basically I've built a tool that automatically tracks your quicksave and persistent file changes. It tracks every quicksave you make so you can just select one and reload it. It also tracks every autosave and can load a past autosave as a quicksave, so even if you didn't quicksave you can select an autosave and then load it with F9 (that would have save you OP!). You can write notes about each tracked save so you can identify important ones more easily. Here's a link to the thread about it . Its main function is tracking changes to craft so you can reload past designs, but it does the same thing for saves.

Last night. Quicksave simply WOULD NOT WORK. I'd hit f5 and get no quicksave prompt. Nothing what so ever. The feature was dead. On top of that It wouldn't allow me to go back to space center. The button wad dead. So of course quickload worked. I lost the entire flight... Sucked.

There is a reason for this. If your computer memory is full or for some reason your computer refuses to edit anything in your KSP folder, all the F5-mashing in the world won't do jack.

Long ago in the days of 0.18, I had quicksaved as I was about to enter Duna's atmosphere for aerobraking, without having done a demo run first to make sure everything would work. I was confident everything would, after all. This was before I understood what the difference was between drag and drogue chutes...

rescue_1.jpg

The good news is that I managed to land the Kerbals safely on the surface, and even salvaged both of the primitive RCS rovers. The bad news is that their rocket was totalled in the landing (and even if it hadn't, it was out of fuel from having to eliminate ALL of their incoming speed instead of just a tiny bit when the parachutes opened).

rescue_3.jpg

The rescue ship fared far better, at least. Even if it did land so far off target that they had to walk nearly 50KM to reach it. Up a cliff wall.

In the event that I quickload and realise I'm ages back, I just kill KSP immediately. Then when I restart it, I'm back to the previous autosave, which is typically more recent.

Plus I have my online backup set to monitor my KSP saves. It'll keep previous versions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.