[0.24.2] Achievements 1.6.3 - Earn 136 achievements while playing

blizzy78

Looking for a plugin developer to take over this plugin! See this thread for details.

Have an idea for an interesting new achievement? Reply to this thread now! :)

(List of achievements suggested by players so far)

Are you a mod author? See this thread if you want to contribute your own achievements.

Hi, I've made a plugin that brings achievements to KSP. Right now, there are 136 achievements in the plugin that can be earned.

Over time, the plugin will be extended with more achievements. Please do make suggestions as well!

Also please let me know what you think about the plugin or what can be improved about it. Thanks!

Download Achievements Plugin 1.6.3

Source code on GitHub: https://github.com/blizzy78/ksp_achievements

btn_donate_LG.gif

flattr-badge-large.png

This is a short video of the plugin in action:

There's also a list of all achievements available:

Wy7HY8D.png

Change Log

The plugin makes a check against http://blizzy.de/achievements/version2.txt to see if a new version is available. No information is sent.

1.6.3, 2014-07-27
- In addition to the automatic update check, the plugin now also gets KSP versions
from the update check server. In case the currently running KSP version is one of
those versions, the plugin will not complain about being incompatible with this
KSP version. This saves both players' and the plugin author's time.
- Updated for KSP 0.24.2 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.6 (included.)

1.6.2, 2014-07-25
- Updated for KSP 0.24.1 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.5 (included.)

1.6.1, 2014-07-18
- Achievements will now award 10 reputation instead of 5 science.
- Updated for KSP 0.24.0 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.4 (included.)

1.6.0, 2014-04-02
- Added 4 new achievements (now 136 total.)
- Updated for KSP 0.23.5 and Toolbar Plugin 1.7.1 (included.)

1.5.5, 2014-03-15
- The achievements "We're Meant to Be Together" and "Base Builder" should now only trigger when
two actual docking ports are docked together.
- Fixed a bug that caused several EVA achievements to trigger when a Kerbal was seated in a
command seat.
- Updated for Toolbar Plugin 1.7.0 (included.)

1.5.4, 2014-01-06
- Fixed a bug that prevented the achievement "Sunburn" from getting earned correctly.
- Clicking into the achievements list window will no longer click through in the editor.
- Updated for Toolbar Plugin 1.4.1 (included.)

1.5.3, 2013-12-17
- Updated for Toolbar Plugin 1.2.0 (included) and KSP 0.23.0.

1.5.2, 2013-12-11
- Changed achievements button to use the Toolbar Plugin (included in download.)

1.5.1, 2013-12-02
- Added 4 new achievements (now 132 total.)

1.5.0, 2013-11-16
- Earned achievements are now saved on a per-save basis instead of globally. Conversion will
take place automatically when you open a save file.

1.4.7, 2013-11-16
- Fixed a bug that could prevent loading the Achievements Plugin correctly when trying to find
contributed achievements in other mods.

1.4.6, 2013-11-10
- Opened up the API so that other mods may contribute new achievements.
(see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57605)
- Added 1 new achievement (now 128 total.)

1.4.5, 2013-11-09
- You can now click on achievements in the list to see when they were earned, and with which vessel.
- The plugin's UI does now properly hide if the player wants to hide all UI (via F2 key.)
- Added 1 new achievement (now 127 total.)

1.4.4, 2013-11-06
- Added 32 new achievements (now 126 total.) Almost all of those new achievements are related to
Kragrathea's Planet Factory mod.

1.4.3, 2013-10-26
- The achievement "We're Meant to Be Together" now requires that the craft be in a stable orbit.
- The achievement "Deep Down the Hole" has been renamed to "Deep Impact".
- Added 4 new achievements (now 94 total.)

1.4.2, 2013-10-23
- All landing achievements now require that lateral speed be lower than 1.0 m/s. This is to prevent
only touching the surface with an airplane, then pulling up again, for example.
- Added 6 new achievements (now 90 total.)

1.4.1, 2013-10-22
- The achievement "Kessler Syndrome" will now show an actual count of debris objects.
- Added 4 new achievements (now 84 total.)

1.4.0, 2013-10-20
- The plugin will now check if a new version is available.
- Added 6 new achievements (now 80 total.)

1.3.1, 2013-10-19
- Fixed a NullReferenceException.
- Added 1 new achievement (now 74 total.)

1.3.0, 2013-10-18
- Every achievement earned will now award 5 science in career mode.
- Added 2 new achievements (now 73 total), and renamed some achievements.

1.2.1, 2013-10-17
- Landing achievements don't count for EVA'd Kerbals anymore, they will require a vessel to be landed.
- "Toast" sound clip will now play correctly even when the current vessel is destroyed.
- Added 18 new achievements (now 71 total.)

1.2.0, 2013-10-16
- Updated for KSP 0.22. The plugin will no longer work with KSP 0.21.x.
- Achievement "toast" will no longer be displayed on top of the nav ball.
- Added 5 new achievements (now 53 total.)

1.1.0, 2013-10-15
- Added a list of all achievements available.
- Added 4 new achievements (now 48 total.)

1.0.0, 2013-10-13
- Initial public release.

The Achievements Plugin is licensed under the GNU GPL v3.

Edited by blizzy78

Looks interesting ... and may be a good one to interface with some other plugins like Mission Control or with the future official career mode.

What about showing us some more achievements... so that we can know how complex & various can the conditions of success be.

Hmm, this looks interesting.

I've just posted this excel spreadsheet over in the tools section - it's designed to be a proto-experience tracker. At the moment players have to manually input and remember what their kerbals did during the mission, but this would be a great tracker - do you think you could have a screen at the end of a mission saying which achievements were awarded? That would go a long way...

Looks interesting ... and may be a good one to interface with some other plugins like Mission Control or with the future official career mode.

Yes, I will certainly see about adding achievements for those as well. It always depends on the KSP API letting me hook into it.

What about showing us some more achievements... so that we can know how complex & various can the conditions of success be.

Well, one achievement that I have in mind (but not implemented yet) is one that says, "Bring a Kerbal to another celestial body and get him back safely." In this case, there are quite a few conditions on that one: First, your vessel needs to be crewed and in the pre-launch phase. Then, you need to land it somewhere else, then bring it back and land on Kerbin again. So there's multiple steps that will need to be accomplished. All the while it must be the same Kerbal that you started out with, and he must stay alive.

do you think you could have a screen at the end of a mission saying which achievements were awarded?

Not sure what you mean by "end of mission." There's the one where you crash completely, and the big dialog pops up. Then there's the possibility to revert the flight. And third, you can go to the space center and recover the flight or kill it.

I'm about planning to implement showing a list of all achievements you have earned so far and on what mission (flight name) and time. I can't say what that will look like at this time, though.

Can you please post a list of all achievements available, just so we know what we shouldn't suggest?

Just keep the suggestions coming, I'll sort them out :)

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to implement showing a list of all achievements available, regardless of you having them earned yet or not. We'll see about that.

Edited by blizzy78

What are the conditions that we can use? Can we have achievements based on numbers of times, ie: "1000 re-entries" or "Completed 1000 orbits of Kerbin"?

Are there any achievement type things that we can't have?

Speed record: Reached 10,000m/s in a vessel.

Flash! Ah-AH! Kerbal of the Universe!: Reached 30,000m/s - 0.01% speed of light.

Is this even possible?: Reached 300,000m/s - 0.1% speed of light.

Oh my God. What? - Reached 300,000,000m/s (speed of light).

Stoopid Speed Record: Reached 1000m/s during EVA.

Open the pod bay do-WAAAGH! - Achieved Kerbol escape trajectory whilst EVA.

Careless/Stoopid/You are Kerbal Death: Killed 10/100/1000 Kerbals.

Bloodbath: Killde 10 Kerbals in one incident.

"What? Again?": Killed Jebediah. (Get this achievement multiple times, once for each death).

Lag times/What IS this?/Miracle of laggineering: 300/500/750 part vessel/station.

Voyager: Send a Kerbal on a Kerbol escape trajectory with 10,000m/s dV left.

Colony ship: Send 10 Kerbals in one vessel on a Voyager trajectory.

Invasion: Send 100 Kerbals in one vessel on a Voyager trajectory.

Outpost: Man/Kerbal an off-planet ground base for a year.

Going quietly sane: An individual Kerbal in space continuously for a year.

I could do this all day...let me know if any of these are not possible with the mod. Things like reaching the speed of light would be pretty tricky/impossible, but it'd be cool if the achievement was there should someone make it!

I don't think there should be any of those "do x y times" achievements. They're not funny, in my opinion. Also, achievements that aren't possible in stock shouldn't be in KSP - including all of the speed of light achievements (I know glitches and all, but...).

A single achievement for, maybe, a 200 tons ship in orbit could work well, but it would have to be "in orbit", as people could otherwise just construct a ship and not even launch it.

What are the conditions that we can use? Can we have achievements based on numbers of times, ie: "1000 re-entries" or "Completed 1000 orbits of Kerbin"?

Yes. Support for those would have to be implemented yet, but it's rather trivial.

Are there any achievement type things that we can't have?

I can't answer that really ;)

But I'll try my best to come up with ways to implement suggestions.

... suggestions ...

You, sir, have just won one (1) internets. I love those suggestions, also the names. I'm having a really hard time to come up with suitable, yet funny, names for achievements, so I left them out. But I would love to have names for all achievements.

As for speed records, this is certainly possible. The only thing is what is the relative speed refers to. Orbital speed? Speed relative to the sun?

"What? Again?": Killed Jebediah. (Get this achievement multiple times, once for each death).

I'd rather go for one achievement killing him, then the second time killing him earns you "What? Again?". Ideally the name of the first kill achievement would be related to the second achievement's name.

Voyager: Send a Kerbal on a Kerbol escape trajectory with 10,000m/s dV left.

Not sure about this one. It can be done, but I don't see the relevance of the dV requirement. Is that <= 10000?

Colony ship: Send 10 Kerbals in one vessel on a Voyager trajectory.

Invasion: Send 100 Kerbals in one vessel on a Voyager trajectory.

For immersion purposes, I'd rather not mention "Voyager" in the description. Also, I don't think it is possible to get an escape trajectory out of the Sun in KSP.

Outpost: Man/Kerbal an off-planet ground base for a year.

Going quietly sane: An individual Kerbal in space continuously for a year.

Those would have to be tracked even when not in the flight scene or when flying a different vessel. Which I think is possible, but not implemented yet in the plugin.

Things like reaching the speed of light would be pretty tricky/impossible, but it'd be cool if the achievement was there should someone make it!

It is certainly possible to go faster than the speed of light in KSP. Ask Scott Manley about it :)

I don't think there should be any of those "do x y times" achievements. They're not funny, in my opinion.

Well I do believe there are some people that like to do those. Also, don't forget that there's timewarp. Having a vessel go around in an orbit 1000 times is not difficult because you can do other things in the meantime. It does not take any effort at all.

Also, achievements that aren't possible in stock shouldn't be in KSP - including all of the speed of light achievements (I know glitches and all, but...).

I'm a bit sceptical about that particular one, too.

A single achievement for, maybe, a 200 tons ship in orbit could work well, but it would have to be "in orbit", as people could otherwise just construct a ship and not even launch it.

I'll certainly make sure that you need to lift that thing off. Just putting it on the launch pad and getting an achievement for doing that would be a bit silly.

... suggestions ...

Thanks. I already had the aerocapture one on my to-do list.

As for the free return trajectory, it can get a bit tricky because of the requirements. Need to think some more about it.

Not sure what you mean by "end of mission." There's the one where you crash completely, and the big dialog pops up. Then there's the possibility to revert the flight. And third, you can go to the space center and recover the flight or kill it.

Good point. It looks like watching the 0.22 preview streams, when you recover a flight there is a dialog that tells you what science you did and what you gained from it - if you could add a section that listed what you achieved (e.g. reached orbit, landed on Mun) that would be kinda cool. So I guess flight recovery would be the best time to do that, as when you revert, whatever you did never happened.

I don't think there should be any of those "do x y times" achievements. They're not funny, in my opinion. Also, achievements that aren't possible in stock shouldn't be in KSP - including all of the speed of light achievements (I know glitches and all, but...).

Fair point about the speed ones, and I don't think glitching or cheating should count, but I do think that there should be some extremely difficult challenges.

Having number based ones just gives an easy way to have a lot of achievements without granting them left right and centre.

If you're going to have an achievement for a 200ton ship in orbit, why not for 500 and 1000 tones too? I'd skip out incremental ones like 300, 400, 600, 700 etc because thats a bit samey, but the others represent leaps in challenge that are difficult yet possible.

Rather than pick a challenge and attempt to beat it, I'd rather be suprised every now and then with an award I wasn't expecting, like my 10,000th launch or something. Though the "Voyager" challenge was my favorite, but may be more suited to a Mission-Controller mission rather than an achievement.

But hey-ho :D

**edit**

Not sure about this one. It can be done, but I don't see the relevance of the dV requirement. Is that <= 10000?

For immersion purposes, I'd rather not mention "Voyager" in the description. Also, I don't think it is possible to get an escape trajectory out of the Sun in KSP.

The Voyager one was to represent an interstellar or other long range mission, the dV requirement representing a dV reserve (>=10,000m/s) on top of that required to leave the system - achieve escape trajectory and have 10,000m/s "left in the tank" so to speak.

You can achieve a Kerbol escape trajectory, its not even that hard, it can be done with a small 1.25m probe. However, Kerbol's SOI appears to be infinitely large so technically, you can never leave it, but you can achieve an open-ended escape trajectory. The 10,000m/s Dv is the difficulty requirement, and represents the ship travelling far beyond Kerbol.

The name is of course provisonal :)

Like I said, this one may be more mission-y rather than achievement-y.

Edited by p1t1o

Great mod, really alot of potential here. Only thing thats missing imo is some kind of master list of completed achievements.

Also, traveling at the speed of light is not possible without glitching, cheat menu options, and/or really REALLY overpowered engines. Its just not possible legit with 'stock' balanced parts. Cant say 100% as I have never tried myself, but I dont think escape from Kerbol is possible legit either.

You, sir, have just won one (1) internets. I love those suggestions, also the names. I'm having a really hard time to come up with suitable, yet funny, names for achievements, so I left them out. But I would love to have names for all achievements.

I'd be glad to help you write text descriptions and titles for achievements.

...but I dont think escape from Kerbol is possible legit either.

You can't leave Kerbol's SOI, but you can achieve a kerbol-escape trajectory, it only takes a few thousand m/s dv from Kerbin orbit.

Your trajectory will be open ended and will travel away from Kerbol forever.

Achievements Plugin 1.1.0 is now available for download, adding a list of all achievements available. I've also added 4 new achievements, with more to come in future updates.

Update note: When updating the plugin, make sure to keep the achievements.dat file in the plugin's folder. If you delete it, all your earned achievements are lost.

Edited by blizzy78

An achievement named: "Couldn't be bothered" would be nice

conditions: Use HyperEdit.

I'd rather if achievements were disabled should hyperedit or part clipping (You squished 40 intakes onto your SSTO? Tell me more about what a difficult ascent that was!) or any other cheat be activated.

Achievements Plugin 1.2.0 is now available for download. It has been updated for KSP 0.22.0, with 5 new achievements added.

Update note: When updating the plugin, make sure to keep the achievements.dat file in the plugin's folder. If you delete it, all your earned achievements are lost.

Edited by blizzy78