[0.24.2] Achievements 1.6.3 - Earn 136 achievements while playing

blizzy78

1. Community made achievements

I like the general idea of this plug-in but it still have long way to go before it will look as the part of the stock game. First of all rather doing all the achievements yourself you should provide the way for community to do it. You can make another folder called "data" or "awards" or whatever inside your achievements plug-in folder. In this folder there should be an ini files with the simple set of prerequisite for each achievement and the graphic file that will appear in the achievements menu. The rules may involve reaching some particular orbit, landing on some celestial body, reaching specific coordinates on specific celestial body, panting a flag, doing the EVA, loosing a kerbal, loosing a kerbal with name %, installing specific the part in the ship, getting specific part destroyed, bringing specific part to the specific celestial body\orbit e.t.c. The plug-in it will then check the parameters in the ini files and if the player actions are fit the prerequisites the achievement will be awarded. By combining these sets of rules hundreds if not thousand achievements can be made by community and more importantly tested. It is fairly easy to create and test one or two achievements of your own, but create few hundreds and test all of them in game that would be serius effort. Let’s not forget about the mods, maybe people would like to have some mod related achievements, you obviously have no manpower to sustain all of this alone so just let other to help you, providing community with achievement tools. Then you can choose the best fan made achievements and as part of the "official" achievements set during the next plug-in release.

2. More stock style interface

Interface right now is really off the game aesthetic and it would be a pain to draw the icons for every single achievement yourself, and without icons it is plain and dull, so just add the ability for users to create their own graphics for achievements. I think that here are enough people skilled and willing to do the icon sets to represent the achievements. Just define the size of the icon\button.

3. Achievements grading

It is also nice idea to grade the achievements by difficulty getting satellite to the orbit is fairly easy doing a return mission from Eve, getting Kerbit SSTO done or reaching Eelloo is on the other hand is quite a difficult task. So it would be nice if you can assign difficulty rating such as Bronze, Silver and Gold achievements.

4. Export the achievements

Add the ability to export the achievements to the external file so people can post their hall of fame online, the best way to do it, would be to have a separate server to handle this achievements but it is probably too much of work.

By combining these sets of rules hundreds if not thousand achievements can be made by community

This part I don't agree with. You mentioned some possible requirements that can be combined to form an achievement. Those requirements will only get you so far, meaning that the potential number of achievements is actually quite limited. For example, in the plugin there are already achievements for getting into a stable orbit around all bodies. I still need to add some more achievements of that type - in particular, getting into an eccentric orbit from a circular one (not sure about this one), and getting into a synchronous orbit. Those two don't really make sense having them for each and every body, so I will be leaving the "body" requirement out of them, resulting in only 2 achievements instead of like 30.

The same goes for most of the requirements you mentioned where I just don't see multiple of them being in combination to form many achievements. I feel that would be overkill.

More stock style interface

As it is, I'm not an artist at all. I'm just glad I can do these gold plates in the size I want them to be :)

I agree that there should be icons on the achievements. Ideally each single achievements would have an icon of its own, with similar looking icons for similar achievements (for example, the "get into orbit" ones.) But they are not a priority for now.

(There's also a practical problem with icons: If you have a number of achievements with icons having some sort of certain feel or look to them, you're practically stuck. If the artist who did the icons is no longer available, you're getting into problems, because new icons from a different artist would look and feel different. Since in this particular case the icons would be a community effort, the artist could step down from doing them at any time.)

As for the stock-style look, I'm not sure what can be done here. What exactly would an achievement look like if it were to be displayed stock-style, yet still look like the player is getting awarded something? Perhaps someone having a more artistic feel than me can chime in here.

It is also nice idea to grade the achievements by difficulty getting satellite to the orbit is fairly easy doing a return mission from Eve, getting Kerbit SSTO done or reaching Eelloo is on the other hand is quite a difficult task. So it would be nice if you can assign difficulty rating such as Bronze, Silver and Gold achievements.

The problem with this one is where do you set the bar? For example, I personally don't have any difficulty doing orbital rendezvous or docking maneuvers. Heck, I even wrote in-game tutorial plugins that teach it (see signature.) But there are many players that can't do it. I have now way of knowing the percentage of players who find it easy or hard to do. So the easiest way out is to treat all achievements the same.

Export the achievements

I don't think that would be a problem to do, but I don't have plans to do it right now. I'm not saying never, though.

Achievements Plugin 1.2.1 is now available for download, with a bunch of new achievements in the Research and Development category.

Update note: When updating the plugin, make sure to keep the achievements.dat file in the plugin's folder. If you delete it, all your earned achievements are lost.

Edited by blizzy78

Any way you could make the achievements give a small science amount when achieved? Maybe large amounts depending on difficulty?

Would be neat.

That would be cool.

And let it be optional, maybe there are people who dont want the additional sience points.

Edited by Lifeforce87

That would be cool.

And let it be optional, maybe there are people who dont want the additional sience points.

Yeah, optional would be good. But even so I'm not talking a lot, maybe 3-5 points for easy stuff and up to 10 for hard. Whatever you feel is appropriate.

Some suggestions for the landing achievement names:

Hot Foot: Land on the surface of Moho

Good Luck Getting Back: Land on the surface of Eve

Lightfoot: Land on the surface of Gilly

Safe And Sound: Land on the surface of Kerbin

One Small Step: Land on the surface of Mun

Little Green Moon: Land on the surface of Minmus

One Giant Leap: Land on the surface of Duna

We Like Ike: Land on the surface of Ike

Asteroid Miner: Land on the surface of Dres

Nowhere To Stand: Reach 0 altitude on Jool

Almost Feels Like Home: Land on the surface of Laythe

Cold Stop: Land on the surface of Vall

Who Needs Aerobraking?: Land on the surface of Tylo

Kraken Hunter: Land on the surface of Bop

Allergy Season: Land on the surface of Pol

Far Out: Land on the surface of Eeloo

And a few ideas for new ones:

Sunburn: Get within 1000km of the Sun

One Way Trip: Reach solar escape trajectory

Kessler Syndrome: 100 debris objects in orbit of Kerbin

Emissary To The Stars: Reach 250 million km out on solar escape

Some suggestions for the landing achievement names:

Thanks, I really love those! Although I'd rather leave Jool out. I'd like for all achievements to be actually... achievable :) Without cheating, of course.

And a few ideas for new ones:

Great, thanks again! How far out is 250 Mkm from the Sun? I've never tried it, so I can't tell myself. How long on maximum timewarp would that be? Hmm, on the other hand, it wouldn't really matter, like I described on a previous page. You can always do other things while that thing is getting out of the system.

How far out is 250 Mkm from the Sun? I've never tried it, so I can't tell myself. How long on maximum timewarp would that be? Hmm, on the other hand, it wouldn't really matter, like I described on a previous page. You can always do other things while that thing is getting out of the system.

250 million km is well beyond Eeloo's orbit, but not so far that you can't get there in about 15-20 minutes at max warp. The idea here is that something has left the solar system and isn't coming back.

It's certainly possible to reach solar escape velocity, but you'll never actually escape: when you mouse over the hyperbolic orbit's "escape" endpoint it will tell you that it's 68 years, 18 days, 15 hours, 58 minutes (2^31 seconds) away, and this time won't ever decrease.

Edited by bitbucket

Achievements Plugin 1.3.0 is now available for download, with all achievements earned now awarding 5 science in career mode.

Update note: When updating the plugin, make sure to keep the achievements.dat file in the plugin's folder. If you delete it, all your earned achievements are lost.

I love this addon. I've also some ideas:

-"That was close" : Hit the abort button and land savely without killing kerbals.

-"Tried it at least": Hit the abort button, all kerbals anyhow.

-"I Too Like to Live Dangerously" : Enter kerbins atmosphere with 6000m/s

I would also love to see it, if somehow the ribbons could be integrated.

greetings,

Themorris

Achievements Plugin 1.3.1 is now available for download, which fixes a NullReferenceException.