What is the farthest Kerbal-Made object you have from the sun, and the closest?

ExplodingRocketShips

I put an ion probe in orbit 15 km above the sun, Sending stuff far from the sun is just an matter of patience.

You can always use infinite fuel here, RTG, small probe and mainsail, let this burn for some days, stop the burn, enter max timewarp and go on vacation. Warning you will lose anyting in low orbits.

My furthest is my Duna mission (Project Atreides, soon to be published in the mission report section) with a big mothership and multiple landers and satellites. I have never been further out, but my first probe into the Joolian system is already under development.

Closest has to be anything in Kerbin orbit (or Minmus - at times it is closer to Kerbol than Kerbin). Were I to answer in a few days however it would be Eve (hopefully) as I'm about to launch my second interplanetary mission using a mothership and a hell of a lot of different equipment. If it arrives to Eve in one piece that'll be the closest for a while. :)

The Icarus IV probe is the closest I've ever done. 4.6 km x 4.8 km orbit.

g5qnrTs.png

Also, craft that drop below 1337 meters "altitude" of the sun get massively heated. Found that out with a probe that did a 1336 Pe flyby; the temp sensor didn't start rising until the very instant it dropped below 1338 - so you could probably get a probe into a semi-stable orbit at 1500 meters.

Closest: A piece of debris (fuel tank and engine) that got a funky kick from Moho. It goes not too far inside Moho's orbit sometimes. Of the stuff I can control, an automated ship with very little fuel orbiting Moho, that brought the fuel to get the Kerbals I took there home.

Furthest: More debris, another fuel tank and engine for that Moho flight. It goes quite a bit outside of Kerbal's orbit and I don't know why. Too bad you can't backtrace to find out what happened. Of the stuff I can control, an orbiter around Minmus, but only when Minmus is on the far side of Kerbin from Kerbol and the orbiter is on the far side of Minmus :)

I'm boring. And waiting for 0.22.

• 6 months later...

i dont have anything close to the sun right now, however i managed to launch a satellite quite a distance away from home, my altitude indicator reads 1569 Y when i hit this distance my ship suddenly stopped (which is impossible because of the speed i was going at) so i assume ive reached the end of the galaxy the sad part is the game i was doing this on no longer works so i have no proof

• 2 years later...

Recently, nothing closer than Moho, or much further out than Eeloo. In the past I've sent things fairly far from the Sun, beyond Plock-Karen actually. I don't think I've done any close flybys of the sun though (unless that Arin probe in New Horizons went below the normal orbit of Moho, but I don't think it did).

On October 15, 2013 at 7:32 AM, khyron42 said:

The Icarus IV probe is the closest I've ever done. 4.6 km x 4.8 km orbit.

g5qnrTs.png

Also, craft that drop below 1337 meters "altitude" of the sun get massively heated. Found that out with a probe that did a 1336 Pe flyby; the temp sensor didn't start rising until the very instant it dropped below 1338 - so you could probably get a probe into a semi-stable orbit at 1500 meters.

1337? Was this an intentional nod to leet speak by @SQUAD, I wonder?

Speaking for my current career (1.2.1), which is in its 9th year now:

• I shot a probe out of the solar system. It's currently (after some 3-4 yrs) about twice as far out as Jool, but still travelling some 15,000 m/s, so it will go a little further.
  • I have only been to Eve so far, but I still have two functioning (albeit stationary) landers: one in the ocean, one on land. Moho is my next target, but I may shoot some Icarus probe into the Sun for the hell of it.

Well, being as I've gotten a number of likes for a post on page 1 from 2013, and the mods haven't locked this necro thread yet, I figured I might as well show the proof of the pudding for my outrageous claims of extreme distance from Kerbin.  So here it is, Bill being abducted into intergalactic space by The Kraken.  This actually happened during 0.22

Speed Record

Edited by Geschosskopf

• 2 months later...

I have a sat that did a "random direct transfer" to Jool and got slingshot very far, it will take 200 years to reach apo.

The closest is the exact same sat that I launched the other way and orbits closer than moho, with pretty much everything burned off.

Both were sent by the same launcher that takes off from a big truck. (but on two different launches)

In 0.25 I did highly eccentric orbit with periapsis of 50km above Kerbol and apopapsis near Eve's orbit. Also did some Pioneer-inspired mission out of Kerbol system (>10x orbit of Jool), where Deep Space Kraken lives. In 1.2.2 closest is Moho mapping satellite and farthest is some debris around Jool's orbit.

The closest to kerbol i ever got was a accident. I was sending a manned mission to flyby eve, but when i escaped its SOI, i had an orbit half of moho's orbit at perapsis, and the farthest was a kraken assisted piece of debris, that was at 57G

not counting debris, my starbeam 1 probe got to just passed eeloo's apoapsis

My furthest objects are some unmanned probes in Duna and Ike orbit. I've got an unmanned Jool mission fueled up and waiting for a transfer window in orbit around the Mun, but it'll be another couple of months in-game before I can send it off. I've also got some probes in orbit around Eve and Gilly, and I did a flyby of Moho with one (although I didn't have enough fuel to complete my capture burn so I had to terminate the mission.)

I'm gearing up for some major expansion efforts, though. I've got a large, three-ship manned mission to Duna (well Ike, mainly; its main objective will be to establish a mine and refuelling station there) in Minmus orbit right now waiting for their transfer window, a Dres probe just outside of Kerbin's SOI on its way to its transfer manoeuvre node and I've been testing Eve land-and-return ships for my planned flag-and-footprints mission there (not successfully, though; they keep tipping over.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.