What is the farthest Kerbal-Made object you have from the sun, and the closest?

ExplodingRocketShips

Interesting. I haven't done too much IP travel, but i have quite a few missions in the works.

Farthest had to have been the Laythe overpass i did one game in .20, and i've have never been out past that since, and it was only a cursory examination of the planet from orbit.

Closest, ironically, would be either Minimus at its closest point to the sun, or some debris in an interplanetary orbit i dumped after an ejection burn which happened to fall into a lower orbit.

I am not very well traveled, apparently. I've only ever seen Duna and Jool!

Farthest would be Bill's fly-by of Eeloo. Nearest would be my constellation of solar power plants at 2000 Mm from Kerbol. But i do have a interstellar probe launched. It got gravity slingshot from Mun, then Minmus - and now im going to do periapsis kick to escape Kerbin at minimal fuel cost. Then i'll try to get Jool encounter for another gravity assist. If it will not happen, well...This 'probe' weights 60+ tons currently, and more than 90% of it is fuel :) I wonder how fast i can go after burning all of fuel? :cool:

Once upon a time, Bill was on his way home from Eve and was only a few days out from Kerbin. He could see it in the distance. Then the Kraken attacked. But instead of smashing Bill's ship to bits, the horrid beast grabbed onto it and dragged it into the depths of intergalactic space. Bill's ship instantly assumed a speed of 882 x 10^9 x the real world speed of light (I hear the KSP speed is different). In the few seconds it took me to react to this, take a screenshot, and then hit F9, Bill's ship had reached a distance of 714,000 lightyears from Kerbol with the altimeter still climbing (it was reading 6756 E). I suppose Bill would have circumnavigated the universe if I'd let it run a while longer but I was afraid the relativistic effects would fry my computer so I bailed on it. Sadly, however, the save was corrupted and I could never save Bill from this horrible fate. So there he remains, 714,000 lightyears from home.

Does that count?

Edited by Geschosskopf

Farthest: My Eeloo rover. So far the only thing I've ever sent there

L5NS2R5.jpg

Closest: Would be my Grand-tour-attempt ship I call Pegasus, which I dropped within 300,000km of Kerbol for a slingshot. Since I started from Moho and was going to Duna this was very inefficient.

Gp0zrri.jpg

I have two voyager probes which are on very hyperbolic trajectories out of the kerbol system, both in opposite directions. Last time I checked they were way, way beyond Eeloo, and still travelling at around 8km/s, but even at the largest time warp they were barely slowing down, since Kerbol's gravity was so weak, but it was only equipped with an ion drive so slowing down was out of the question too!

Closest I've been was a Moho mission which ran out of fuel after I messed up a slingshot around Eve and put me into a pretty elliptic orbit near Kerbol. Nowhere near as close as some others in this thread :)

1st was the sun lander missiom

[.img.]

the lander burned up just after the pic all of the crew was lost;.;

You sent a manned mission to land on the sun? Hahaha commendable!

How was the mission briefing?

"As you know, Kerbol is a big ball of liquid fusion matter. You're going to land on it and plant a flag."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"Nonsense. I've been in direct sunlight many times. However, for extra safety we will pack a small tube of SPF 30 in the snacks cupboard."

Closest: Bunch of ships and planes at Kerbin / Mun / Minmus.

Furthest: Bunch of ships and planes at Laythe.

And that's all I've got at the moment. Been to Eeloo before, and had things at Sun escape IIRR (not to mention the occasional accidentally bug-accelerated Kerbal zooming out of the system at Ludicrous Speed), but haven't flown anything silly-close to the Sun. :)

My closest is the manned rover that is stranded in Eve's ocean. I screwed up on decent and didn't hit the quick save button when I had the chance. The farthest is the manned rover I have on Duna. Made it there in my first try, though the landing required a few tries to land without breaking the rover wheels. I plan on sending a lander to laythe soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.