Am I the only one who doesnt care for Career mode?

99TheCreator

It's a cool idea, but I have had months of playing with all these awesome high tech parts, to suddenly devolve and use only basic parts would not go over well with me. I might try it, but I dont see myself investing too much time in it. I'll probably stay in the (infinite) confines of sandbox mode and make things that generate science for no purpose.

you're probably not, and that's totally fine.

The only thing i hate is people who don't like career and thus get all angry cause they're working on career mode right now, that's annying.

(not that you're doing that, i'm just saying)

Personally, I think it would be fun to see the progress of the Kerbals' own space program taking a completely different course from the ones in real life. The fact that Kerbals have to physically get into orbit to discover that Kerbin is in fact round and not flat makes me laugh.

Career mode is fine and I'm glad they are making progress, but things like new buildings mean nothing to me. The space center is just a bunch of polys that quickly fade into the background at launch. It could be 2d for all I care. On the other hand the tech tree and science are a great first step. But monetary limitations, budgets, are needed to make "career mode" truly interesting. I am itching to get a look at how we can modify/expand/reorder the tech tree to provide some sort of challenge for non-noobs.

Edited by Sandworm

I actually think most existing players are going to be, to some extent, less interested in career mode. The reason for this is that everyone has been playing in what is essentially end game mode until now. Career mode will become more interesting when we get budget constraints and missions with objectives.

However, I will be starting a new career mode save when it comes. It will probably last all of 2 hours while I get the science points to max out science, and then I'll be playing "sandbox" again. The thing I am really looking forward to is sticking a science module on space stations and claim I am doing "science"!

I'll probably play it more since after I research all the parts (which doesn't seem like it will be a big deal to do) I'll be able to do science and research many different areas of the planet and moon.

Think about it, just building a separate vehicle for the different biomes is a about a dozen missions from what I read in the blog. Then, sending more missions to different special places just to make sure there is some science to be had (the big crater on Kerbin for example) plus having a station in orbit to conduct science, and having an orbital satellite just to relay data (I'll pretend that is the case for now). I think Career mode, even in its primitive state will infuse a lot of life back into the game for me at least.

Career mode is really aimed at those new to KSP.... to enable them to progress without being overwhelmed by all the parts... Its not really designed for those that have been playing KSP for awhile. Im looking forward to the challenge of early game.... then its Just sand box mode anyway!

Career mode is really aimed at those new to KSP.... to enable them to progress without being overwhelmed by all the parts... Its not really designed for those that have been playing KSP for awhile. Im looking forward to the challenge of early game.... then its Just sand box mode anyway!

there will be a point in time when it is no longer aimed at those new to KSP, but to those of us who have been here for some time. just sayin :)

I actually think most existing players are going to be, to some extent, less interested in career mode. The reason for this is that everyone has been playing in what is essentially end game mode until now. Career mode will become more interesting when we get budget constraints and missions with objectives.

However, I will be starting a new career mode save when it comes. It will probably last all of 2 hours while I get the science points to max out science, and then I'll be playing "sandbox" again. The thing I am really looking forward to is sticking a science module on space stations and claim I am doing "science"!

This, pretty much. The tech tree is cool and all, and I'm going to look forward to seeing how quickly I can get through it, but I'm probably not going to treat it like a real "campaign" just yet.

From what I've seen so far, and I do realize that it may change before release, career mode will not eventually offer challenge, it will be merely a stumbling block on the way to a wide open sandbox mode. HarvesteR stated in the Manley interview that he wanted to avoid "grindy" gameplay, which means the difficulty of KSP will always remain in building and flying, not in doing missions to advance the tech tree/gain money to do missions to advance the tech tree/gain money to ... I honestly just don't see any challenge coming in career mode. FWIW I'm hoping for some difficulty sliders for budgets and tech tree, but it might fall to modders to provide that at the end of the day.

Anyway OP, you're not the only one. I'll play it but if the tech tree is as easy to open as I've seen so far any interest will be short-lived. Well, there might be some goals in there...

career mode will be nostalgic for me. The tear 0 parts are basically what I had when I first started playing the game.

An experienced player should be able to work their way through the tech tree in fairly short order. You will not be stuck with low level parts for long.

With just the tech tree in place, I will definitely start my first game in 0.22 in career mode ...

especially since

a) it is an interesting deviation from my usual gameplay, where I always can build mega-Rockets from the beginning on

B) it is the only way to read the results of ther experiments

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.