Am I the only one who doesnt care for Career mode?

99TheCreator

I think long time players are looking at it as a gimmick but Career mode will give the game initial purpose for new comers. After they will go into Sandbox and play around with Addons.

I expect to unlock everything quickly but I'll enjoy reading the science texts, accumulating points and so forth.

Edited by Nostromo

I think this needs to be said again, courtesy Kasper from a diff thread, I give us this, because I like his point:

The career mode is not done after 0.22 is released, this is just the first version of the game in which you can access it.<rest snipped out as it pertains to a different thread>

I am mostly looking forward because of the flavor text and the inclusion of the science counter.

I fully expect to clear the entire tree within 6 launches or so. But I know that raising an arbitrary number is more than enough motivation for me to keep playing indefinitely (Damn you cookie clicker...)

Given from what little i understand there's whole science branches that are being left mostly for modders to populate and we don't yet have anything like budget constraints, mission objectives, etc etc, and yet have new toys to play with?

Look at it as a new challenge mode. See how far you can get with x parts.

I am exited for the Career mode. I started building Ships from small to big to VERY big, and then reduce the Parts. I know have Interplanetary Ships and Missions Running. Atm i am at downsizing getting Parts down for more Powerfull Ships, there will be only one think i will miss about Career mode: Nav Lights. They are Awesome, far better then the Orignal Light sources.

The challenge in Minecraft and KSP is to achieve a lot with little tools, the Career Mode will be starting a new World in Minecraft without Freebuild Mode.

The Freebuild Mode players can still play along and get some Experiements to attach to their Ships ( but they won't putt out any results in Sandbox )

but KSP will reach a whole new Depth. And getting some Experience in Downsizing helps in Sandbox as well. Getting my Eagle Lander to the smaller Crow Lander from 300 Parts down to 75 Parts allowed it to get the same Performance and let it travel with my Spacefreighter.

Initially I was in the "I don't care for career mode" camp (although I didn't realise it was a camp, I thought maybe it was just a 1 man tent). I felt it was going to be too limiting and went against something I love about KSP; having no set goals.

Seeing some of the previews over this last week has changed my mind. It doesn't seem like it will take very long to unlock everything and then we're back to our lovely open-ended sand box, just with more things to click on. As others have said it's also a bit of a nostalgia trip, reminding us of the KSP of old, no-struts and just a few simple parts so it will take a slightly different approach.

I'm still a little unclear about how mods will be handled but I'm not too worried. I think I will play thou career 100% stock, then maybe do it again with a mod tech tree, or just dump all my mods in once I've unlocked everything in stock. tbh my biggest concern about mods in career mode is that mod haters may feel they have a bigger stick to hit us with!

I'm really looking forward to Career mode.

The science is cool and all, but it's the money aspect I'm looking forward too. I can knock up ridiculous ships for doing simply tasks, but if I have to now do it with as little cost as possible... I'd find it more interesting :)

Edited by Zutha

i always was one of the "pfff, who needs career mode anyway? I am already bad enough in sandbox!" kinds of people, but after seeing the few things about it that will come with the next patch, I am wetting my pants to finally be able to play that mode!

I used to be really excited about Career mode.

Everything I've seen about science is turning me off of it, and the explanations have been turning me off of KSP in general.

I have no appeal in the Kerbals as cannon fodder stuff, I want to run the safest space program possible, and they are making that very difficult for me.

This thread has opened some insight into it though, I started playing in 0.18 The limited parts holds no nostalgia for me, neither does Kerbals before probes. All of the arguments of well it brings back memories of Early alpha is great for players who were early alpha, but they just don't do it for me. I suspect they they won't hold any nostalgia for players who start playing a year from now.

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the actual structure it will bring. rather than some self imposed wishy-washy objective of, 'let's go get a rover on Duna', from me, with this science and career mode I'll actually be planning an actual mission.

Go orbit - do science

Go Mun - do science

Go rover and new part of mun - do science

Go Minmus same launch - do science

etc.

Really looking forward to it myself. It you're not, then hey, just stick with sandbox, no biggie.

For me, the Career mode adds some nice obstacles to the beginning of your space program and I am perfectly fine with it.

I wonder what awfully beautiful contraptions will come out of the shortage of parts.

After you have mastered the techtree you achieved an environment like the sandbox mode.

I dont understand why people dont care about it. It gives you a whole lot of new experience with about the parts given to you.

I used to be really excited about Career mode.

Everything I've seen about science is turning me off of it, and the explanations have been turning me off of KSP in general.

I have no appeal in the Kerbals as cannon fodder stuff, I want to run the safest space program possible, and they are making that very difficult for me.

This thread has opened some insight into it though, I started playing in 0.18 The limited parts holds no nostalgia for me, neither does Kerbals before probes. All of the arguments of well it brings back memories of Early alpha is great for players who were early alpha, but they just don't do it for me. I suspect they they won't hold any nostalgia for players who start playing a year from now.

I'm really baffled as to why it is such a big deal for some people that you get a capsule before you get a probe. From a gameplay PoV it makes perfect sense: A probe depends on power generation and storage while a capsule needs neither. And the probe gives you a much lower mass as a reward for that added complexity. It makes sense to have the game become more complex as you progress, not more simplistic.

Arguments in favor of 'probes before capsules' generally fall into the following lines of thought:

- Safety. I don't understand this argument since parts don't have (intentional) random failures. If you're concerned about safety you can always stick to liquid engines and when something goes wrong you can switch off the engine and deploy the chutes. After the first node the decoupler should enable you to build a LES.

- Real life used probes before people. The thing is that this isn't real life, why should the 2 be the same?

Am I just missing something here?

I'm really baffled as to why it is such a big deal for some people that you get a capsule before you get a probe. From a gameplay PoV it makes perfect sense: A probe depends on power generation and storage while a capsule needs neither. And the probe gives you a much lower mass as a reward for that added complexity. It makes sense to have the game become more complex as you progress, not more simplistic.

Arguments in favor of 'probes before capsules' generally fall into the following lines of thought:

- Safety. I don't understand this argument since parts don't have (intentional) random failures. If you're concerned about safety you can always stick to liquid engines and when something goes wrong you can switch off the engine and deploy the chutes. After the first node the decoupler should enable you to build a LES.

- Real life used probes before people. The thing is that this isn't real life, why should the 2 be the same?

Am I just missing something here?

I am seeing this whole thing the same way as you Ralathon. I thought this nonsense was squished dead on reddit already.

This is not Reallife. To have a capsule before a Probe makes even more sense to me.

You can see it like this:

Kerbals had to invent Probes since their Spaceprogramm has began to run out of "volunteers".

Thats the Kerbal way... deal with it, guys :)

I'm hoping career mode will slowly blossom into free mode as you progress along it, i like the idea of having missions where you go and achieve something, exploration for it's own sake is a lot of fun and having missions to do science as you explore is even better, for me anyway, it's only the beginning too, i'm sure many more ideas will be added, i'm hoping for all sorts of things like medals for Kerbals, a little museum where your early ships are on display, a populated Kerbin with cities, it's early days still.

I can understand people wanting to sandbox a lot to learn the game but I have been doing that a while now and have been everywhere a few times and made a lot of ships huge and small. I still enjoy playing but do so by giving myself challenges and experimenting with craft efficiency etc so I am really looking forward to career mode to give me purpose and will relish the challenge of designing clever and efficient craft, recapitulating my journey from v9 to v22.

I am pretty sure it will be even better with a finance model and also Kerbal life support, but the tech tree looks like it will be fun to explore for now and who knows maybe they will have the inspiration to add more parts now at the different tiers. Science as a transmissible commodity gives missions a purpose and creates history out of the gameplay which will be much more atmospheric and meaningful imho. :)

I'll take a look at career mode, but I'm certainly not holding my breath for it. I'm perfectly content puttering about in the sandbox. Having to manage finances is dreary enough in the real world, dragging it into an otherwise pleasant diversion isn't what I call fun.

As a newer player I'm looking forward to the career mode's R+D system. As I understand it will function somewhat like a tutorial, gradually introducing parts and their functions. Right now I really only have a grasp on liquid fuel rockets, and very basic Mun and Minmus landers.

I am seeing this whole thing the same way as you Ralathon. I thought this nonsense was squished dead on reddit already.

Please don't assume that arguments made on Reddit are automatically read by people here. A lot of us don't bother with Reddit because we find it to be utter ****.

For that matter, tech tree progression will always suffer from individual tastes, especially in a game like KSP where we've already seen and used all the parts. Some people prefer KSP to be more of a sim and, unfortunately, it's looking like modders are going to have to provide complexity and realism. I'll bet we'll see a revamped tech tree in a few weeks of 0.22 release.

Career mode is fine and I'm glad they are making progress, but things like new buildings mean nothing to me. The space center is just a bunch of polys that quickly fade into the background at launch. It could be 2d for all I care. On the other hand the tech tree and science are a great first step. But monetary limitations, budgets, are needed to make "career mode" truly interesting. I am itching to get a look at how we can modify/expand/reorder the tech tree to provide some sort of challenge for non-noobs.

I agree about the buildings being kind of useless. They serve no purpose other than looks. I wish they spent that time making new parts instead or updating looks of current parts that we will actually be using.

Liken it to any RPG. For me, the lower levels are more fun, simply because of the fact that you can't do everything. It's the opportunity to go off in a different direction. At this point, I'll probably start off stock and add mods when they seem appropriate. I don't run any strictly parts mods, but things that add functionality like ISA, KAS, MJ, stuff like that, so they should be able to fit in somewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.