Modular Fuel System Continued v3.3 (OBSOLETE)

NathanKell

Bug report? Bug report. KW Rocketry engines are nonfunctional with the latest MF patch. I notice that under "real fuels" there used to be an engine.cfg file (rather large) that doesn't exist anymore--I gather you're trying to update all the mod engines, yes? Since that file is probably formatted incorrectly, pasting it in from the last version of MFSC stalls game loading out completelyAnyhow, file that one away, for when you wake up. and thanks for burning the midnight oil, man. It's been a sad week rummaging through my Steam library looking for other things to play while I waited for your patch to post....

I have the same files, I am using engines.cfg and its working ok as far as engines. post your output_log.txt so we can see where it's stalling

birrhan: when I posted the experimental, I made explicit that it DOES NOT come with any engine configs. You WILL need some file that gives engines their configs (and I mention the three sources in that very post).

Engines.cfg from MFS3.3 should work, as should the RftSEngines from RealismOverhaul.

As Starwaster says, not sure why it's stalling out--upload your output_log.txt somewhere.

Updated experimentals.

For people who want stock resources, original volumes, etc (no engine mods either): https://www.dropbox.com/s/xphx0asn4qs4pvc/ModularFuelTanks_v4_pre7.zip

For those who want real fuels and engines, now branching off into just calling the thing RealFuels: https://www.dropbox.com/s/67ro5qzv4ue8abq/RealFuels_v4_pre7.zip

Fixed maxAmount error; rescaled tank volumes for non-Stretchies for RealFuels. Still needs the RO and the Stretchy in the first experimental I posted or Bad Things.

So far seems ok (!) - let me know if phantom resources appear on any tanks EXCEPT stretchies.

Edited by NathanKell

KSP.log is not nearly as informative as output_log.txt

It's in the ksp_data folder

Ah. well.

Please be patient. The last coding I did was c. 1986, on a commodore 64.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g41plp8ydmjd2j/output_log.txt

UPDATE:

Clean 0.23 install, clean install of each mod, made sure each was the most current version, including the three released by Nathan as part of QC (v4rev7) and the missing engine cfg was replaced from MFT3.3, and MM1.5.5 (present in RealEngines 0.2--only transiently installed, and doesn't solve the problem). Everything works until RO gets installed. With KWRocketry present, the load screen stops at the Maverick1; without it, it stops at MFT sold rocket booster 1-1.

Most current output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g41plp8ydmjd2j/output_log.txt

The problem is most likely in RO, then, but there's bleed over with MFT and likely still an engine config file problem.

Edited by birrhan

At this point Im thinking all Nathan Kells mods involve increasing realism so wouldnt it be a better if RSS, MFS, RO,DRE, Remotetech 2,Stretchy , lifesupport, and FAR were all included in one realism package.

This way they could be configured to work perfectly with each other, would not have any parts except for the tanks so would be very low RAM, and would drastically reduce the confusion of trying to find and download different versions of things and hope they work together.

They could use a master config which would have the config options for everything in one file which would be a huge benefit

That way the minority who want partial realism (eg: only MFS and no RSS or DRE) Could just delete the things they don't want and edit the config how they want.

and the majority who want the full realism package just download 1 thing and are ready to go.

Also easier for Nathan because he wont need to manage 4 threads at once and 4 mod packages.

it would be 1 thread and 1 package

Edited by Zander

At this point Im thinking all Nathan Kells mods involve increasing realism so wouldnt it be a better if RSS, MFS, RO,DRE, Remotetech 2,Stretchy , lifesupport, and FAR were all included in one realism package.

This way they could be configured to work perfectly with each other, would not have any parts except for the tanks so would be very low RAM, and would drastically reduce the confusion of trying to find and download different versions of things and hope they work together.

They could use a master config which would have the config options for everything in one file which would be a huge benefit

That way the minority who want partial realism (eg: only MFS and no RSS or DRE) Could just delete the things they don't want and edit the config how they want.

and the majority who want the full realism package just download 1 thing and are ready to go.

Also easier for Nathan because he wont need to manage 4 threads at once and 4 mod packages.

it would be 1 thread and 1 package

All those mods work together quite well as is, and only having tanks would make communication and reentry quite interesting

Bug repot: It seems that although I can edit fuel tanks now, I can't edit engine setups. I set real masses off in the latest build if that helps

which one are you using? if it's the experimental version you need engines.cfg from the most recent official release. pre-release version does not have engines.cdg

which one are you using? if it's the experimental version you need engines.cfg from the most recent official release. pre-release version does not have engines.cdg

That would explain it, I need to find my old download then... Thanks

Yes. Kill MFT folder, replace with the one in RealFuelsv4pre7

So far it works great in VAB, but doesn't seem to recognize engines for fuel-filling in the SPH. At first I thought it was because it doesn't recognize turbojets or some such thing, but it also fails to recognize rocket engines.

Is this update supposed to make every fuel tank start empty? (I'm not sure if that's a feature or a bug, so I thought I'd mention it. :) )

The last 3 pages of the thread are all about people testing experimental versions of this for .23 compatibility...

AbeS, jrandom: will check.

Regarding tanks starting empty. Intentional for RealFuels, since how am I to know what mixture ratio you want? And one generally places the tank before the engine, so it's very hard to predict the future.

Out of curiosity--were these output logs helpful in identifying why KWR engines do not appear in the VAB, or why RO is causing the load screen to stall out? Can someone post an engine.cfg file that does work for KWR using MFT+RO? Starwaster, would you mind posting the RO+MFT folders you're currently using that seem to work for you?

Thanks.

birrhan: did you grab the first big expermintal link I posted? That has .23 experimental versions of RO and of Stretchy, required for .23 experimental MFS. If you're using the .22-era RO or stretchy, that might have something to do with it.

I have had no trouble with KW engines myself using this in .23, and nothing jumped out at me in the file until the end, when it was saying some engines didn't even have ModuleEngines defined!

AbeS: Unable to replicate. I may have fixed it on my side in RO (RO was adding new configs; may have borked a value). Will post update.

jrandom: unable to replicate. I can add tanks to stretchies etc. just fine in the SPH. What you may be thinking of is the fact that since jets take IntakeAir, and tanks can't hold it, the /autoconfigure/ button doesn't show up for them. Doesn't mean you can't add a LiquidFuel tank yourself though. That's been true since before I started maintaining MFS, I believe.

Edited by NathanKell

jrandom: ok, juuuust for you I added an "ignore fuel" list to MFSSettings to take care of that issue. Now if a fuel's listed there, and an engine requires it, and a tank can't hold it, the autofill button is still generated, and that fuel is just ignored.

jrandom: ok, juuuust for you I added an "ignore fuel" list to MFSSettings to take care of that issue. Now if a fuel's listed there, and an engine requires it, and a tank can't hold it, the autofill button is still generated, and that fuel is just ignored.

That is awesome for us plane-builders. Thank you. It doesn't sound like much, but being able to just scroll down to the bottom and hit a single button makes a big difference when rapidly iterating through different tank/fuselage configurations.

Hrm... there's also the issue of SABER/RAPIER engines where I'd want the tank to auto-configure with LF/LOX and not just read the intake-air/LF combination. Something to think about for future iterations!

I seem to be having an issue getting this mod to work, and I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong so let me lay it all out. Current mods I have installed: BoulderCo lights and clouds, deadly reentry, procedural fairings, kerbal joint reinforcement, KWrocketry, modular fuel tanks (obviously), realism overhaul, real solar system, and stretchy tanks. Now, i read the ReadMe for this mod and I've done everything I could see to do. It mentions being able to edit the contents of tanks through the action group menu but for the life of me I can't see where to do this. I went to action groups, clicked on a tank and there's no options available to me (I also tried clicking on an engine). So because I can't edit the contents, none of my engines fire because they all say "Liquid Oxygen Deprived" and I can't edit the contents of the tank to have said liquid oxygen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I'm not going to hope to be able to properly support Hybrids yet. I was hoping to, when v4 was pre.23, but doing all the fixes for .23 in this and everything else (well, not all; taniwha did many of them for this!) is taking soooo much time. Same with ModuleEnginesFX (unsupported) and the stock switchable engines.

No worries! You're doing a fantastic job. I'd rather see the current set of changes/fixes go out, especially since I really want my atmosphere back. The sooner you can get done with this, the sooner we users can get you slaving away^H^H^H^H^Hworking on that.

The last 3 pages of the thread are all about people testing experimental versions of this for .23 compatibility...

Oh, sorry. I just sort of skimmed through the last 2 or 3 pages before my post and didn't see anybody say "yes" or "no" to 0.23 compatibility so I figured I'd ask. It is clear to me now that it's still in experimentals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.