[0.90]Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler v1.4.2; 12/16/14

ferram4

• 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, DV-13 said:

Will this great mod ever be updated? 

If not, I thought I saw another mod that did something similar, allowing stock parts to be used more sensibly in RSS.  I can't find it now though; was I hallucinating?

1 minute ago, curiousepic said:

If not, I thought I saw another mod that did something similar, allowing stock parts to be used more sensibly in RSS.  I can't find it now though; was I hallucinating?

Realism Overhaul? 

2 minutes ago, curiousepic said:

One that is explicitly not RO (or Simple Realism). And recent enough to be updated to 1.1.2.

Hmm. I don't remember anything like this. If you will remember it, let me know. 

15 minutes ago, DV-13 said:

Hmm. I don't remember anything like this. If you will remember it, let me know. 

Found it - SMURFF doesn't adjust ISP but rather masses of parts, particularly fuel tanks, to get the mass fraction of stock parts more in line with the scale of RSS.

There is also ROMiniFork which is does RO-style rescaling, which I might prefer for RSS.

Neither are officially 1.1.2 however.

2 minutes ago, curiousepic said:

Found it - SMURFF doesn't adjust ISP but rather masses of parts, particularly fuel tanks, to get the mass fraction of stock parts more in line with the scale of RSS.

There is also ROMiniFork which is does RO-style rescaling, which I might prefer for RSS.

Neither are officially 1.1.2 however.

That's not exactly what I need, but still, thanks for the effort. 

• 1 month later...

I so wish that here was a way this would work in the latest release... I don't want any of the thrust changes that was needed in days past. If there was a way to get the function of changing ISP's to a given percent I would be absolutely elated! This allows for rockets of whatever different sizes you could ever want with a stock scaled system. Man, I'd donate $10, maybe even more to whoever got that feature working again in 1.1.3. I just don't know if Ferram / anyone else would take that offer.

I hope people can see how much I love and used before 1.1.X...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

MM patch for ISP Scaling available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-qchMFaWt3HSmNYSktoVEJQQjA?usp=sharing

Just copy this folder into a fresh folder within your GameData folder and it should work.

The patch multiplies the ISp of all engines by 0.4, and multiplies their thrust by 2. There is also an optional patch which multiplies the dry mass of all liquid fuel tanks by 0.3. This should all help with producing "life size" rockets on stock Kerbin.

Edited by peadar1987

On 5/10/2016 at 6:11 PM, DV-13 said:

Thanks peadar, it works flawlessly with engines using ModuleEngines in the cfg. I did notice it didn't do a thing to engines using ModuleEnginesFX such as SSTU and I think DIRECT, so I simply made a duplicate of the .cfg you made and changed the perimeters from ModuleEngines to ModuleEnginesFX (both instances) and it works fantastically.

7 hours ago, falken said:

Thanks peadar, it works flawlessly with engines using ModuleEngines in the cfg. I did notice it didn't do a thing to engines using ModuleEnginesFX such as SSTU and I think DIRECT, so I simply made a duplicate of the .cfg you made and changed the perimeters from ModuleEngines to ModuleEnginesFX (both instances) and it works fantastically.

Ah yes, I'd been meaning to fix that, thanks for reminding me! In theory if you had replaced the "ModuleEngines" with "ModuleEngines*" it would have worked as well, because the asterisk is a wildcard. I hadn't quite gotten round to testing that out.

On 8/22/2016 at 8:01 AM, peadar1987 said:

Hi all,

MM patch for ISP Scaling available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-qchMFaWt3HSmNYSktoVEJQQjA?usp=sharing

Just copy this folder into a fresh folder within your GameData folder and it should work.

The patch multiplies the ISp of all engines by 0.4, and multiplies their thrust by 2. There is also an optional patch which multiplies the dry mass of all liquid fuel tanks by 0.3. This should all help with producing "life size" rockets on stock Kerbin.

So I've landed here from real fuels to find your config. I'm curious what exactly you were going for? In the past all modifications I've made for using RF in a non-rescaled Kerbin were to reduce isp and increase weight, but adding additional thrust seems to contradict that?

Edited by SpacedInvader

2 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

So I've landed here from real fuels to find your config. I'm curious what exactly you were going for? In the past all modifications I've made for using RF in a non-rescaled Kerbin were to reduce isp and increase weight, but adding additional thrust seems to contradict that?

Well reducing the ISP increases the size of rocket you need to get to orbit. But the engines are balanced for the stock game, so I found that the rockets I built really struggled to get off the launchpad, especially as thrust now scales with ISP, so it's reduced even further at sea level. Now I can get my larger rockets off the pad without resorting to masses of SRBs

41 minutes ago, peadar1987 said:

Well reducing the ISP increases the size of rocket you need to get to orbit. But the engines are balanced for the stock game, so I found that the rockets I built really struggled to get off the launchpad, especially as thrust now scales with ISP, so it's reduced even further at sea level. Now I can get my larger rockets off the pad without resorting to masses of SRBs

Hmm, ok I see the reason now, but I think that because I'm using RF, which is balanced for real world scale, I won't need the thrust multipliers. 

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Hmm, ok I see the reason now, but I think that because I'm using RF, which is balanced for real world scale, I won't need the thrust multipliers. 

Thanks.

No probs, you should just be able to comment out the thrust multiplier in the config, or set it to whatever you want.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am in dire need of this mod. 

I know I can use SMURFF or Realism overhaul to make the rockets realistic but I am sick of building huge 1000 ton asparagus monsters just to get a single kerbal to land on the moon.

I used KIDS in the past and had a blast exploring the real solar system with kerbal sized rockets but now its not supported and I can't find any alternatives. Help.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-23 at 4:35 AM, beamthegreat said:

I am in dire need of this mod. 

I know I can use SMURFF or Realism overhaul to make the rockets realistic but I am sick of building huge 1000 ton asparagus monsters just to get a single kerbal to land on the moon.

I used KIDS in the past and had a blast exploring the real solar system with kerbal sized rockets but now its not supported and I can't find any alternatives. Help.

I'm on an old version of KSP, but my MM patch a few posts up should still work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.