[1.3] RCS Sound Effects (2017-06-12)

pizzaoverhead

"MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Part.GetConnectedResources'" - same error here

i think OpenResource plugin is causing the problem i removed it and the error is gone can you try that and confirm?

It appears to not include any of WaveFunctionP's fixes for 0.24.*, while WaveFunctionP's current branch *does* include this particular fix. Looks like I'll be waiting for WFP to release his next update and just get the fix that way. Thanks for the heads up though.

i think OpenResource plugin is causing the problem i removed it and the error is gone can you try that and confirm?

Not in my case, just tested. Stock 0.24.2 + RcsSounds and same errors as in previous post. A soon as I launch from VAB debug window popup and start spaming same error.

Edited by uraa

There was a change in 0.24.1 that is incompatible with RCS Sounds. Hotfix is on its way.

Thank you!

This is one of those mods that adds to the game in such a way that I don't notice it much until it's not there. Great for immersion.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think you can hear RCS from your compartment in the craft. The sound is produced at the very exit hole of the tiny nozzle, and the amount of gas is very small. Maybe, if everything was completely silent, you might hear a weak and deep puffing sound.

Can you link the video?

No, I sincerely doubt a mic could pick that up. Microphones need soundwaves or, in this case with the vacuum, a very intense stream of gas.

You're forgetting that the surface area of a mic is very tiny, and solar panels' is huge. They will be a lot more affected because they're pushed. Mic needs its membrane to vibrate. Not the same thing.

Activated RCS IS heard inside a space craft. Propellant moving through the pipes inside a spacecraft is what causes RCS sound, even the muffled snap sound is when RCS is cutoff. That is caused by the difference in high pressure to vacuum. Watch any Space shuttle video with cabin cameras and you'll hear it quite distinctly.

You can also hear it on the video below after the 22min mark

Love this mod. The rcs sound is a bit off, sounds like a flamethrower rather than pressurized gas. I use the space shuttle RCS sounds from Orbiter, they're perfect IMO. Each to their own

I'm going to re download again, but I get no sound in this mod, lights but no sound

Check your output_log.txt for any "RcsSounds" related error messages. Also, make sure you've merged the GameData folder inside the zip with the one in your game directory. The 4.1 zip was nested in another folder, potentially making installing unclear.

I've released a version 4.1a zip to fix this, and also taken the opportunity to add support for the KSP Add-on Version Checker.

Despite what the KSP descriptions say, RCS is a series of monopropellant rocket engines, rather than a puff of compressed air. This video has a clearer demonstration:

I never mentioned "compressed air", lol. The propellant is stored as a liquid but it is first atomized into a gas under heavy pressure before it enters the reaction chamber where it combusts and provides the resulting thrust. The sound of RCS through the internal pipes is the pressurized propellant in gas form.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason this mod doesn't work with Realism overhaul. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? I've tried using it with mods like FASA etc and the rcs thrusters don't give off any sound effects. It works fine in my "cartoon" version of KSP but not Realistic overhaul.

That mod does use module rcs fx, could that be the issue?

For some reason this mod doesn't work with Realism overhaul. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? I've tried using it with mods like FASA etc and the rcs thrusters don't give off any sound effects. It works fine in my "cartoon" version of KSP but not Realistic overhaul.

That mod does use module rcs fx, could that be the issue?

This mod is solely for ModuleRcs. ModuleRcsFx doesn't need this, as it can already provide sounds.