[1.3] RCS Sound Effects (2017-06-12)

pizzaoverhead

• 4 weeks later...

Cannot hear stock RCS sounds at all. Updated to 1.2.1, set all volumes except music to 100% ... nothing. RCS actually work in pulses and, from inside cockpit, sounds like a gunshots, or so I heard.

• 3 weeks later...

I get this error on the log It never ends and reduces the FPS

Module RcsSounds threw during OnUpdate: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Part.GetConnectedResources'.
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

the full file 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/013ke4huvr6k9ui/output_log.txt?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Tochas said:

I get this error on the log It never ends and reduces the FPS

Module RcsSounds threw during OnUpdate: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Part.GetConnectedResources'.
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

The Part.GetConnectedResources method has apparently been depreciated. Part.GetConnectedResourceTotals appears to have replaced it.

For what it's worth, when 1.2 originally dropped I was also having issues with extremely low stock RCS sound effects, to the same point of having to jack the audio up to max just to hear them. Now with 1.2.2, that issue appears to have been corrected. My guess is that it might be related to the "running" FX name fix that dropped in 1.2.1 (see http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13050) but that's just a SWAG.

I've recently started to delve into the world of C# programming and KSP plugin development, so I took a stab at getting RcsSounds to work with 1.2.x. So far I have something that is mostly workable, but with my novice skill (at least in C#) I am not sure my edits were really the best way to do it, so for that reason, combined with my desire to respect @pizzaoverhead's original (very fine) work, I'm hesitant to release a copy of my compiled DLL.

I did drop him a PM, and hopefully when he has a moment he'll give his attention to an official release for 1.2.x. Obviously, I too like RcsSounds' style of RCS sound effects over the stock functionality.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

So if i were to install this as-is i take it it wouldn't work? The stock rcs sound is not desirable to say the least.

There's a number of things broken in the current published DLL that don't work with 1.2.x. In fact the other day I discovered that if you use the lighting fx, and have in-flight highlighting enabled, there's a good chance if you mouseover any part it'll crash the game. Still trying to figure out why that would be...

9 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Maybe one can replace the referenced stock sound file with a better one? As a stop gap I mean.

This MM patch should do the trick. You'd want to install RcsSounds as normal, and delete everything from the RcsSounds folder except for the Sounds subdirectory. Unfortunately since the stock ModuleRCSFX has only a running effect, you can't use the shutoff sound.

Note that I've monkeyed with the 3rd and 4th volume curve values as the stock values seem rediculously low - I had to boost past the usual 1.0x multiplier. This should work out pretty well for the default ship channel volume setting of 0.5.

The commented-out block is a more generic way to do it, as opposed to referencing particular parts. However, as noted it could have unintended side effects, so use with caution.

// Stock RCS parts only
@PART[linearRcs|vernierEngine]:FINAL {
	@EFFECTS {
		@running {
			@AUDIO {
				@clip = RcsSounds/Sounds/RcsHeavy
				@volume,2 = 0.5, 4.0
				@volume,3 = 1.0, 8.0
			}
		}
	}
}
@PART[RCSBlock]:FINAL {
	@EFFECTS {
		@running {
			@AUDIO_MULTI_POOL {
				@clip = RcsSounds/Sounds/RcsHeavy
				@volume,2 = 0.5, 4.0
				@volume,3 = 1.0, 8.0
			}
		}
	}
}

// More generic, but might conflict (or simply not work) when other mods are involved
// Uncomment to use
//@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]]:FINAL {
//	@EFFECTS {
//		@running {
//			@AUDIO {
//				@clip = RcsSounds/Sounds/RcsHeavy
//				@volume,2 = 0.5, 4.0
//				@volume,3 = 1.0, 8.0
//			}
//			@AUDIO_MULTI_POOL {
//				@clip = RcsSounds/Sounds/RcsHeavy
//				@volume,2 = 0.5, 4.0
//				@volume,3 = 1.0, 8.0
//			}
//		}
//	}
//}

// Remove any RcsSounds modules
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[RcsSounds]]:AFTER[RcsSounds] {
	!MODULE[RcsSounds] {}
}

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I have a crash report to make. It seems to be a rather strange conflict between this mod and Easy Vessel Switch. I would have never expected a conflict between these two mods as their functionalities seem rather unrelated. But I was able to reproduce this rather simply and consistently so I wanted to report it. Maybe it is not exactly a conflict between the specific two mods but a more general issue in only one of them.

Reproduction Steps:

1) Fresh and clean install of KSP 1.3.

2) Install RCS Sounds (RCS_Sounds-5.1.zip) and Easy Vessel Switch (EasyVesselSwitch_v1.3.0.zip) along with Module Manager (ModuleManager-2.8.0.zip).

3) Start a new sandbox game.

4) Build a very simple ship with a command pod and a single RCS port.

5) Lanuch

6) Crash to desktop!

Crash dump: link

Crash dump with KSP.log: link

I hope it helps. Best regards!

Edited by canisin

On 04/06/2017 at 8:52 AM, canisin said:

Hello!

I have a crash report to make. It seems to be a rather strange conflict between this mod and Easy Vessel Switch. I would have never expected a conflict between these two mods as their functionalities seem rather unrelated. But I was able to reproduce this rather simply and consistently so I wanted to report it. Maybe it is not exactly a conflict between the specific two mods but a more general issue in only one of them.

Reproduction Steps:

1) Fresh and clean install of KSP 1.3.

2) Install RCS Sounds (RCS_Sounds-5.1.zip) and Easy Vessel Switch (EasyVesselSwitch_v1.3.0.zip) along with Module Manager (ModuleManager-2.8.0.zip).

3) Start a new sandbox game.

4) Build a very simple ship with a command pod and a single RCS port.

5) Lanuch

6) Crash to desktop!

Crash dump: link

Crash dump with KSP.log: link

I hope it helps. Best regards!

On 05/06/2017 at 9:21 AM, canisin said:

I had posted the above crash report to the EVS thread as well. @IgorZ seems to have determined that the crash can be reproduced by RCS Sounds alone. Please see his post below.

Thanks for this. It definitely sounds like it's coming from RCS Sounds. I'll get to the bottom of it.

I had several crashes with this mod. I spent the entire day zeroing which mod was causing it, once I got highly suspiciou of RCS Sounds I made several tests with and without it and I got confirmation about it.

If mod author want the error report let me know, otherwise I will refrain to clutter the forum.

If author need more info, just ask.

I just came here to report this problem in 1.3 as well, and what I have found is the same as Errol.  it will CTDT as soon as you launch, if you have any RCS on your craft. if no RCS is on the craft it will launch just fine, and not have any problems.  This is not just the surface attached parts either, any part that has RCS in it will do the same

Edited by Bit Fiddler