[1.3] RCS Sound Effects (2017-06-12)

pizzaoverhead

Your log seems to say that "RcsSounds.dll" has been renamed to "RcsS ounds.dll". Try taking the space out of the name and changing it back to "RcsSounds.dll".

If that doesn't help, check that GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/RCS block/part.cfg and GameData/Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/part.cfg both have a module of name ""RcsSounds" and not "ModuleRcs" near the bottom.

Your log seems to say that "RcsSounds.dll" has been renamed to "RcsS ounds.dll". Try taking the space out of the name and changing it back to "RcsSounds.dll"

I noticed that, seems to be a bug in the formatting on my post - there aren't any spaces in the actual file.

And this seems normal too..? Perhaps its something to do with the format of the .wav file and my system? Should I try recompress it and see what happens?

c1UpTBg.png

And this seems normal too..? Perhaps its something to do with the format of the .wav file and my system? Should I try recompress it and see what happens?

I'm seeing a similar issue to this in testing with 0.22: externally loaded sounds aren't found. Try it with one of the game's own sounds: Change

rcsSoundFile = "RcsSounds/Sounds/RCSnoise"

to

rcsSoundFile = "Squad/Sounds/sound_rocket_mini"

in the part.cfg files. If that doesn't work, you can try recompressing it too.

Nothing, on both the squad sounds and recompressing your own. Any other ideas? Does this work on your end? :|

I did test this initially on 0.21 too with the same results.

For me, 0.21 works all round. With 0.22, it doesn't work with external sounds. That'll need to be fixed before I can release it.

Other ideas: Are there any exceptions in your output_log.txt? Is there a message "Audio file not found" anywhere? Is the DLL blocked due to being from a network location?

For me, 0.21 works all round. With 0.22, it doesn't work with external sounds. That'll need to be fixed before I can release it.

Other ideas: Are there any exceptions in your output_log.txt? Is there a message "Audio file not found" anywhere?

I'll just wait for the 0.22 version then :P

UNOiKcs.png - found the 0.21 issue though! But the file exists in that location, and the .dll is unblocked, so something is throwing a spanner in the works somewhere. Are there file paths in your mod that link through the default (C:\) directory? I run KSP off my E:\ drive to isolate it from my OS, so if its looking for "C:\...\Gamedata\RcsSounds\Sounds\RCSnoise" it definitely wont be finding anything.

I hope we can get this working - sound adds so much atmosphere to the game :)

Thanks for sticking with this :) There are no hard-coded paths, it uses the game database for sounds.

...double quotation marks around the name in the log file? That's weird. It must be including them in the name of the file it's looking for. Try removing the quotation marks in both part.cfg files.

For clarity, that is: change

to

rcsSoundFile = RcsSounds/Sounds/RCSnoise

Just found this mod. Looks awesome.

Just tried this mod. It doesn't work. No sound.

Just tried this, now it works:

Try removing the quotation marks in both part.cfg files.

to

Now I'm going to have to play with this some more. Thanks!

Thanks for sticking with this :) There are no hard-coded paths, it uses the game database for sounds.

...double quotation marks around the name in the log file? That's weird. It must be including them in the name of the file it's looking for. Try removing the quotation marks in both part.cfg files.

to

Np :)

Works now in 0.21, like the others have said, good spotting!

Based on what you've done with the RCS, would applying sounds to other parts (such as rotating solar panels, lights turning on, data transmission, ambient IVA sounds, docking, rover wheels, landing leg deployment, etc) be a straight forward endeavour? I'd love to see your work evolve into a game-wide sound mod :)

Based on what you've done with the RCS, would applying sounds to other parts (such as rotating solar panels, lights turning on, data transmission, ambient IVA sounds, docking, rover wheels, landing leg deployment, etc) be a straight forward endeavour? I'd love to see your work evolve into a game-wide sound mod :)

That would be wonderful ! Audio is always important.

By the way, I tweaked a bit the RCSnoise.wav to make a deeper and perhaps slightly less loud version to suit my tastes. Here is the link if it can be of any interest :)https://www.dropbox.com/s/avqald1srwzftbc/RCSnoise.wav

Simply put it into \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RcsSounds\Sounds but be careful to backup the original version first at it will erase it !

Thanks again pizza for the mod !

By the way, I tweaked a bit the RCSnoise.wav to make a deeper and perhaps slightly less loud version to suit my tastes. Here is the link if it can be of any interest :)
:D

Oh, and i've found turning on fine control during RCS (capslock) gives you a much slower acceleration, making the thrusters sound a lot nicer on startup :)

THANK YOU for this. You have any idea how long I've been looking for something that did this? I never understood why ENGINES get a sound but RCS doesn't.

[Edit] Uhm. Catch. It does NOTHING. :( And yes, I checked for quotes.

[Edit 2] Hmm. Odd. I actually get a fractional burst of static sound when I revert a flight, but that's it.

Edited by Tassyr

Its ok,working like a charm but you need modify some lines in the .cfg to look like this:

MODULE

{

name = RcsSounds

rcsVolume = 0.2

rcsSoundFade = 1.1

thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

thrusterPower = 1

resourceName = MonoPropellant

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 260

key = 1 100

}

}

So I downloaded the mod because I'd like to have RCS sounds, but I was disappointed when I heard the actual sound used in this mod. I would prefer something like this instead:

Could you accomodate me? Maybe offer it as an alternative?

So I downloaded the mod because I'd like to have RCS sounds, but I was disappointed when I heard the actual sound used in this mod. I would prefer something like this instead:

Could you accomodate me? Maybe offer it as an alternative?

Bit hard to isolate the sound from all that backing music, but I did make my own that was a little deeper, not so loud (because it seemed silly that they could overpower the roar of a Mainsail) and had a bit of slight rattle as if the nozzles were moving. Try this :)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwghV4P-Gb6QLWtDRTlTckNMdm8/edit?usp=sharing

Bit hard to isolate the sound from all that backing music, but I did make my own that was a little deeper, not so loud (because it seemed silly that they could overpower the roar of a Mainsail) and had a bit of slight rattle as if the nozzles were moving. Try this :)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwghV4P-Gb6QLWtDRTlTckNMdm8/edit?usp=sharing

It's better, but not the thing I'm after. I have a clean audio sample for you to use; PM sent.

Edited by Borklund