[1.3] RCS Sound Effects (2017-06-12)

pizzaoverhead

Here's one you could possibly sample. It's a NASA made one. Which is kind of weird for them because they put in a lot of sound effects IN SPACE. O_o

It's purely practical. You get a better sense of what's going on when you have sounds for engines and rcs thrusters. Seeing the rocket fly past your brain expects a sound, so in one way it's more immersive.

So that's the sound it makes, Thankyou :P I will be downloading

Well, that is with the custom sound I made for Borklund :) Its deeper and has more bass than pizzaoverhead's included audio. Download link is above the video, and just overwrite the file in \GameData\RcsSounds\Sounds

yupp,can you make a simple small part for the wheels that making servo motor sound? ;)

That's something I'd like to do in the future! The only problem I have with it is getting sound effects. The sound for this mod was just made by playing about with the noise generator in Audacity. It's not quite right. For one, it would probably be better being a bit deeper.

Uhm. Catch. It does NOTHING. :( And yes, I checked for quotes.

[...]

Its ok,working like a charm but you need modify some lines in the .cfg to look like this:

Are you using the v1.1 release and KSP 0.22? The 1.0 version overwrote part.cfgs and isn't compatible with 0.21. I'm glad you got it working.

Hows this? :)https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwghV4P-Gb6QbkRsV1FhM0hSbFk/edit?usp=sharing

And heres a quick vid demonstrating it with my MMU\Spacetug.

Excellent! Now that's more like the sound I was aiming for!

That's something I'd like to do in the future! The only problem I have with it is getting sound effects. The sound for this mod was just made by playing about with the noise generator in Audacity. It's not quite right. For one, it would probably be better being a bit deeper.

Excellent! Now that's more like the sound I was aiming for!

Id be more than happy to help make audio for things, I've got a large library of stock sound effects and the programs to mix them from my uni papers :)

Edited by Daishi

For the record:

NASA put sound effects in space into its videos for the same reason that you hear a "swish!" as the Enterprise flies by in the opening credits of Star Trek TV shows--people discovered that if you don't have a sound effect, it seems "dead" and unrealistic, and you think you're just looking at a model. So even though it's less realistic, adding the sound effects makes it more viscerally believeable.

As for the sound of the RCS, I've always heard that what the crews mainly hear in flight when using them is sort of a "thud" or "bang" sound from the valves operating, depending on the size of the thruster. Since we're clearly getting sound from an in-cockpit microphone in KSP (note the sound of rocket engines in space, the rushing of the relative wind on re-entry in still air, etc.), it makes sense that we'd hear those noises when the thrusters fire...

For the record:

As for the sound of the RCS, I've always heard that what the crews mainly hear in flight when using them is sort of a "thud" or "bang" sound from the valves operating, depending on the size of the thruster. Since we're clearly getting sound from an in-cockpit microphone in KSP (note the sound of rocket engines in space, the rushing of the relative wind on re-entry in still air, etc.), it makes sense that we'd hear those noises when the thrusters fire...

No rumble from the vibration of the engines reverberating through the chassis of the ship? Isolated clangs and thuds would just seem like Jeb and Bob ferreting around for more snacks in the supply cupboards :P

• 1 month later...
Great mod! But does it works on 0.23?

Not sure, seems pretty broken on my end :/ Can't do much to fix it without pizzaoverhead, and i'm not too sure where he's gone.

Edited by Daishi
I'm an idiot -_-

Why is everyone even discussing sound in space in here? This doesn't look like space to me:

RCS-Sounds-293x261.png

RCS thrusters are usable in atmosphere just like they are in space, which goes for every other engine in the game as well. And all of these engines makes the same sound regardless of location, so why would you discuss all that in here? You could have the same discussion in the thread of every single mod that includes a custom engine, which would be really annoying, so please don't...

That said, there are mod like Atmospheric Sound Enhancement or Audio Muffler that deal with that. If space sounds bother you, maybe you should take a look at those.

Edited by Hurry, Starfish!

Why is everyone even discussing sound in space in here? This doesn't look like space to me:

RCS thrusters are usable in atmosphere just like they are in space, which goes for every other engine in the game as well. And all of these engines makes the same sound regardless of location, so why would you discuss all that in here? You could have the same discussion in the thread of every single mod that includes a custom engine, which would be really annoying, so please don't...

That said, there are mod like Atmospheric Sound Enhancement or Audio Muffler that deal with that. If space sounds bother you, maybe you should take a look at those.

I think you're misunderstanding this mod. ;) [or having us on...]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pizzaoverhead. Just want to say I have been enjoying this mod for awhile. Great Mod. But since last update ive been playing stock career on a clean install. So now im ready to install some mods, and I would like to install this one. Only one problem, its not working with other mods, because the 2 DLL files included are not up to date. Module manager is at 1.5 something, taken over by someone while the author is away, and most of the current mods are using that. Not 1.3 - So this mod wont work with them.

Is there any plan to bring this current??? I hope so. Thanks in advance.

Hello Pizzaoverhead. Just want to say I have been enjoying this mod for awhile. Great Mod. But since last update ive been playing stock career on a clean install. So now im ready to install some mods, and I would like to install this one. Only one problem, its not working with other mods, because the 2 DLL files included are not up to date. Module manager is at 1.5 something, taken over by someone while the author is away, and most of the current mods are using that. Not 1.3 - So this mod wont work with them.

Is there any plan to bring this current??? I hope so. Thanks in advance.

You can delete the module manager files and replace them with the latest Module Manager and it should work.

I've been holding off as there's a new release of RCS Sound Effects coming soon: better sounds, the option of a adding shutoff valve sound, and lighting effects from the RCS firing. It just needs one final bug fix.

The 2.0 release is now out, download here. Changes:

• Added improved sounds by Daishi.
  • Added shutoff sound.
  • Added light to the RCS effects (thanks to taniwha for providing some pointers on this).
  • Upgraded to ModuleManager 1.5.6.
  • Fixed sounds continuing to be played on pause.
  • Fixed multiple simultaneous RCS firings resonating together.
  • Fixed sounds continuing to play quietly while idle with SAS and RCS enabled.
  • Fixed .NET target version.

The 2.0 release is now out, download here. Changes:

• Added improved sounds by Daishi.
  • Added shutoff sound.
  • Added light to the RCS effects (thanks to taniwha for providing some pointers on this).
  • Upgraded to ModuleManager 1.5.6.
  • Fixed sounds continuing to be played on pause.
  • Fixed multiple simultaneous RCS firings resonating together.
  • Fixed sounds continuing to play quietly while idle with SAS and RCS enabled.
  • Fixed .NET target version.

Ohhh, nice. I love the sound overhaul mods, they usually add a nice touch to the game experience. I've been finding that I miss the SRB sounds in particular. Going back to the stock noise is a bit painful. And I mean that in the most literal way possible. >_<