[1.3] RCS Sound Effects (2017-06-12)

pizzaoverhead

This is funny. If Squad used the sound, people would be whining about "no sound in space" and mods that remove the "KSSSS" would be made.

I like silence, it's realistic. RCS thrust can't be heard even if you'd put a mic a metre away. Gas dissipates so easily in vacuum. Basically few centimetres away from the nozzle there are no sound waves anymore - molecules just fly away like bullets.

lajoswinkler, just curious, I know that the RCS thrusters are outside of the space craft. But wouldn't the astronauts (kerbonauts) inside the space craft hear the thrusters operating? I realize since there is not an atmosphere in space there is no way for sound to be produced, but inside the craft there is an atmosphere. So wouldn't they at least hear the sound of the monopropellant being pushed through the pipeworks and nozzles; or the sound of the pumps operating that are inside the hull? I'm honestly asking because I am not an expert on these things but your post definitely got me thinking.

Edited by Happybone

pizzaoverhead, a request if I might? Instead of hardcoding for MonoPropellant, can you instead use this.resourceName? Since RealFuels may change the RCS module's fuel type.

(In the latest prerelease of Real Fuels I have working support for getting around the fact you replace ModuleRCS with your own module, so at least nothing crashes, but your module only plays light/sound when Monoprop is being used as the fuel because you check for that rather than the module's actual specified resource.)

pizzaoverhead, a request if I might? Instead of hardcoding for MonoPropellant, can you instead use this.resourceName? Since RealFuels may change the RCS module's fuel type.

(In the latest prerelease of Real Fuels I have working support for getting around the fact you replace ModuleRCS with your own module, so at least nothing crashes, but your module only plays light/sound when Monoprop is being used as the fuel because you check for that rather than the module's actual specified resource.)

Thanks Nathan, I'll fix that in the next release.

lajoswinkler, just curious, I know that the RCS thrusters are outside of the space craft. But wouldn't the astronauts (kerbonauts) inside the space craft hear the thrusters operating? I realize since there is not an atmosphere in space there is no way for sound to be produced, but inside the craft there is an atmosphere. So wouldn't they at least hear the sound of the monopropellant being pushed through the pipeworks and nozzles; or the sound of the pumps operating that are inside the hull? I'm honestly asking because I am not an expert on these things but your post definitely got me thinking.

I remember this has been discussed before and in that discussion someone said that the "pufff..." or "kssss" sound of RCS might not be loud enough for crews to hear even though there is media (vessel hull, air in cabin, etc) to transmit. instead the sound of internal devices of RCS like valves or pipes might emit some sound that crews can hear.

• 1 month later...

Very neat mod, I'll use it from now on.

The lighting effect is a very nice idea and looks good, but there is a bug to report:

If the RCS Fuel runs out, the lights from the thrusters which were active during the time remain on, even though the sound stops correctly. Little oversight.

Otherwise, great addition to the game.

The lighting effect is a very nice idea and looks good, but there is a bug to report:

If the RCS Fuel runs out, the lights from the thrusters which were active during the time remain on, even though the sound stops correctly. Little oversight.

I have noticed this happen occasionally with the regular engines too (even in stock, I have not even installed this mod yet), if I shut down an engine or engines using an action group while they are firing (such as when I am landing and need to use very little thrust). In that case they also continue to show the firing animation indefinitely, although they produce no sound. There might be a more genral-case bug floating around here.

The last time I used this mod it didn't really sound like my idea of RCS. Honestly, it sounded more like a short burst of loud and piercing static. Is that different, now? Would you mind adding a video of the sound and lights to the OP?

Thanks for the bug report, I'll check it out.

I have noticed this happen occasionally with the regular engines too (even in stock, I have not even installed this mod yet), if I shut down an engine or engines using an action group while they are firing (such as when I am landing and need to use very little thrust). In that case they also continue to show the firing animation indefinitely, although they produce no sound. There might be a more genral-case bug floating around here.

I'm pretty sure it's an oversight on my part. Looks like it's a common one to make! :wink:

The last time I used this mod it didn't really sound like my idea of RCS. Honestly, it sounded more like a short burst of loud and piercing static. Is that different, now? Would you mind adding a video of the sound and lights to the OP?

Daishi made the new sounds included, and also a video demonstrating them:

I just upgraded from V1.1 and now I no longer hear internal RCS sounds. I have internalRcsSoundsOnly = true and I still hear the rcs sounds outside but not inside. Should it not be the opposite? Also, since upgrading atmospheric sound enhancement no longer mutes the external rcs sounds in space, which it did on the older version.