The .22 update, why are you exited?

joppiesaus

Looks to me like a random number that numerology picked to try and claim as having religious implications wants 0.22

Or that. Whatever floats your boat. Also, 600 people are viewing this section! Thats insane!

Why am I excited? Simple! Science!!

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired.

They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants - not here. At Aperture we do all our science from scratch; no hand holding.

Alright this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So word of advice: if you meet yourself on the testing track don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time - entirely. Forward and backward. So do both of yourselves a favor and let that handsome devil go about his business.

Congratulations! The simple fact that you're standing here listening to me means you've made a glorious contribution to science. As founder and CEO of Aperture Science I thank you for your participation and hope that we can count on you for another round of tests.

Well I've been playing KSP for just over a year now (only now do I think to join the forums :confused: )I'm looking forward to having more of a purpose to the game. I wanted to collect stuff that would help drive my game forward and the R&D look like the start of that. Nice job Squad!

Why am I excited? Simple! Science!!

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired.

They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants - not here. At Aperture we do all our science from scratch; no hand holding.

Alright this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So word of advice: if you meet yourself on the testing track don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time - entirely. Forward and backward. So do both of yourselves a favor and let that handsome devil go about his business.

Congratulations! The simple fact that you're standing here listening to me means you've made a glorious contribution to science. As founder and CEO of Aperture Science I thank you for your participation and hope that we can count on you for another round of tests.

AKA: Why combine a Cobra, Scorpion, and an Eagle? Because we CAN!!!

AKA: Why combine a Cobra, Scorpion, and an Eagle? Because we CAN!!!

There's the danger: when scientists are so preoccupied with whether or not they can that they don't stop to think if they should.

There's the danger: when scientists are so preoccupied with whether or not they can that they don't stop to think if they should.

I thought that was the whole reason science existed? Was to be 'all about the coulda, not about the shoulda'

I thought that was the whole reason science existed? Was to be 'all about the coulda, not about the shoulda'

Be careful! For that way lies lawyers. :D

One of the greatest quotes in the world right there my friend... taken from a dinosaur movie...

Mine runs Green clocked 90% of the time and I am running at the edge of it's RAM limit for Windows. I would rather have load time reductions and RAM use reductions.

That makes no sense at all.

You want to have less ram use because KSP is 32bit and limited to 4Gb or so. On 32bit windows systems about 3.5Gb or less is available to the game because some addresses is reserved for hardware , for example some is reserved for the graphic card and that can depend on the amount of memory on the card.

Do you know the cost of ram? Its DIRT cheap compared to most other hardware these days. Even a 500 buck laptop has 6-8Gb of ram. The ram cost for a mid to high end system is very low compared to CPU, GFX and other components, 10% or so. Last system I built the ram was about 10% of the cost and that was 16Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 so I would have saved about 5% total cost going with 8Gb ram and that system relies on the HD4000 graphics in the i7 3770 processor.

Its about time people realized 64bit systems have been around for at least 40 years and on the x86 PC side its been around for 10+ years now and non x86 PC's even longer like Alpha and yes windows existed for Alpha and alpha was always 64bit so not like Microsoft did not have experience. I got on collecting dust. Can run Windows 2000 Beta and thats 64bit.

Makes no sense to minimize ram use if it can be used to speed up the system. Only time ram is wasted is if its not used or the program is poorly written. Every modern OS will use what ever free ram there is to speed up the system by caching pages in ram from secondary memory (disk, networks etc).

And if your running in to memory issues there is a working KSP 64bit linux version that do not have this problem.

Also the game industry have finally started to go 64bit all out and 2014 years AAA titles will in some cases be 64bit exclusive to get around limits imposed by 32bit and 6Gb of ram is Minimum for many games even 8Gb or more is recommended and a quad core processor for 2014 big game titles. So yea 8Gb is MINIMUM this days, 16Gb is recommended if your planing to play future games, do other demanding stuff and have the system around for 2-3 years. Even 5-6 year old systems have 4Gb ram this days so assuming there still running and not broken the ram minimum for KSP is not a problem.

There have been 32bit games for PC since 2004 at least. I know I got the Honor of trying out Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo for 64bit linux before the demo was officially out when Icculus (Dev) let a few of use try it out on our systems. The advantages back then could be discussed sense 1-2Gb ram was much then and I had 2Gb but even since most other gaming company have made very little progress in the 64bit game market.

The 4Gb limit includes the VRAM on the GFX so

There is no logic in fixing the symptoms rather then fixing the actual problem and that is that 4Gb of ram is to little for progress to continue.

I have never run in to memory issues in KSP. But i usually have 1-2 mods at once only.

That makes no sense at all.

You want to have less ram use because KSP is 32bit and limited to 4Gb or so. On 32bit windows systems about 3.5Gb or less is available to the game because some addresses is reserved for hardware , for example some is reserved for the graphic card and that can depend on the amount of memory on the card.

Do you know the cost of ram? Its DIRT cheap compared to most other hardware these days. Even a 500 buck laptop has 6-8Gb of ram. The ram cost for a mid to high end system is very low compared to CPU, GFX and other components, 10% or so. Last system I built the ram was about 10% of the cost and that was 16Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 so I would have saved about 5% total cost going with 8Gb ram and that system relies on the HD4000 graphics in the i7 3770 processor.

Its about time people realized 64bit systems have been around for at least 40 years and on the x86 PC side its been around for 10+ years now and non x86 PC's even longer like Alpha and yes windows existed for Alpha and alpha was always 64bit so not like Microsoft did not have experience. I got on collecting dust. Can run Windows 2000 Beta and thats 64bit.

Makes no sense to minimize ram use if it can be used to speed up the system. Only time ram is wasted is if its not used or the program is poorly written. Every modern OS will use what ever free ram there is to speed up the system by caching pages in ram from secondary memory (disk, networks etc).

And if your running in to memory issues there is a working KSP 64bit linux version that do not have this problem.

Also the game industry have finally started to go 64bit all out and 2014 years AAA titles will in some cases be 64bit exclusive to get around limits imposed by 32bit and 6Gb of ram is Minimum for many games even 8Gb or more is recommended and a quad core processor for 2014 big game titles. So yea 8Gb is MINIMUM this days, 16Gb is recommended if your planing to play future games, do other demanding stuff and have the system around for 2-3 years. Even 5-6 year old systems have 4Gb ram this days so assuming there still running and not broken the ram minimum for KSP is not a problem.

There have been 32bit games for PC since 2004 at least. I know I got the Honor of trying out Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo for 64bit linux before the demo was officially out when Icculus (Dev) let a few of use try it out on our systems. The advantages back then could be discussed sense 1-2Gb ram was much then and I had 2Gb but even since most other gaming company have made very little progress in the 64bit game market.

The 4Gb limit includes the VRAM on the GFX so

There is no logic in fixing the symptoms rather then fixing the actual problem and that is that 4Gb of ram is to little for progress to continue.

I have never run in to memory issues in KSP. But i usually have 1-2 mods at once only.

Ok CLEARLY you didn't understand. KSP on windows is limited because of Unity. I was saying I want them to reduce the RAM load for the stock parts. Mods like KW and B9, which each add more parts than the core game has, take less RAM. Yes RAM is dirt cheap to buy but having 1TB of RAM does you no good if the game engine won't let you use it!

After this there is a good chance they will go back to that.

The most entertaining thing about all this is we get to see exactly who all the dyspeptic rage-monkeys are. Quite enlightening.