[1.02] BioMass - Renewable Bio Fuel and Supplemental Life Support Modules

Roboto

• 1 month later...

So yeah, since I can't get the USI Kolonization stuff to actually care that I have TACLS installed, this is looking like my best bet for "not starving on another planet because TAC forgot/refused to make food renewable"

I've played your mod before in previous versions and loved it, but is this version going to work with 1.04? And is it going to be ready anytime this century?

Because its starting to look like I'm just gonna have to throw obscene stores of food on all my crafts and just deal with it for the GRAND CAMPAIGN I am planning...

So yeah, since I can't get the USI Kolonization stuff to actually care that I have TACLS installed, this is looking like my best bet for "not starving on another planet because TAC forgot/refused to make food renewable"

I've played your mod before in previous versions and loved it, but is this version going to work with 1.04? And is it going to be ready anytime this century?

Because its starting to look like I'm just gonna have to throw obscene stores of food on all my crafts and just deal with it for the GRAND CAMPAIGN I am planning...

It's been up on kerbalstuff for sometime now and should work fine.

UKS recognizes TAC-LS just fine (I include configs for it, lots of folks use it), I saw your initial troubleshooting posts from May.

The most recent version I test with is at https://github.com/VigilanteInc/BioMass/releases/tag/0.9.2.1

There are still some kinks to work out, but no feedback, etc, etc. I fix things as I find them.

• 1 month later...
is this compatible with USI-LS?

I don't think so. I have not played with USI-LS at all, but if I understand it correctly USI-LS abstracts the idea of life support so things like Food, Oxygen, CO2, etc, are lumped as "Supplies".

BioMass somewhat models how plants grow, how materials breakdown, etc. USI-LS is more similar to BioMass' "classic" and "easy" play difficulty that uses Nutrients(similar to USI-LS' Fertilizer) and Waste(similar to 'Mulch') to produce Oxygen, BioMass, or Food. So I suppose someone could adapt USI-LS/BioMass on "classic" and "easy" difficulty to work together, but "classic" is not being improved at all, and "easy" is just a mass-balanced version of "classic".

You can get an idea of what I mean by "mass balanced" if you take a looksie here and here for specific examples.

If someone wanted to put together a module manager patch for making BioMass work with USI-LS, we'll happily add it. I'm personally not very interested in supporting it for "medium" or "hard" BioMass, though: those levels are aimed at being closer to realistic and try to show just how hard growing plants in space is.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be REALLY cool if there is a tank for biomass that slowly generates biogas for Biogas engines.And please use the community techTree, because i use interstellar and the biomass icons are half way in the other icons.Thanks

Right now there is a part that makes LiquidFuel from BioMass, and other parts that make Kethane(methane) for use in kethane engines. Is that what you mean?

Edited by seanth

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

My post is specifically for Roboto...

I see that Seanth is working on this; does this mean that Roboto does a final check on it's progress for game entry?

That out of the way...

I do not use the difficulty setting in my game; let me explain.

I like the BIO Mass idea but I use it alot differently; I also have made my own resource processing modules that reflect more what I feel real life hydroponics for space; ie it takes 90 days to get the first veggies, seeds, etc.

I dont know how these difficulty levels work; they looked too complicated and the BIO Mass processes as they stood made no sense for growing for food.

I have not looked at BIO Mass again; I spose I could just make my own buildings and add my processes in there; I am contemplating this as I am not wanting to use the MKS buildings anymore for a few reasons.

Problem is is that BIOMASS was the first entry idea for my resource game, and I was wanting to build on it using the part models.

The part models are great; the processes for normal resource gameplay are way too confusing and probly have bugs (accelerated time, use with other mods).

I see many other people use part models, change a few things, and plaster their name in BOLD GOLD on them; not something I am happy with. It takes a long time to make MODS and parts and such; the bold name should be the original author. I know I probly hashed this alot, and it is not a point I am making here.

My question is if I wanted to use other peoples' parts, add my resource process modules (since now it seems that all resource processing is going to be reverted to STOCK processing), and produce a MOD (listing authors licenses etc of course).

I would think it would be okay but it is counter productive to confusing parts with processes (since I stream on Twitch); but hey a simple say if how I run my processes on my website and where I got the parts and I could be golden.

I would of course send the final product here for acception and make sure no licenses are violated and that licensing is correct.

I know I could have just asked can I use your parts with my 'mod' and redistribute a BIOMASS Modded MOD (!) (?); I wanted to explain why.

Thank you !

I will look at the new BIOMASS as well tho ...

Commander Zeta

On 1/20/2016 at 9:15 PM, Cdr_Zeta said:

Greetings,

My post is specifically for Roboto...

Sean and i are partners on the mod. Neither of us really try to control or dictate anything over the other, we just find lots of compromises! I don't have problem with you using our parts in another mod if you like.

Glad you like it!

• 3 months later...
On 01.05.2016 at 5:02 PM, Stone Blue said:

@Roboto @seanth Is there still any interest in developing this mod? If neither of you want to continue it, maybe you could change the license so someone else could continue it?

Thanx for all the work you have done on this mod... I know I enjoyed using it... :)

That was be great!

• 2 weeks later...

If there's currently no maintainer, I'd like to pick it up, update, then continue development. @seanth @Roboto? Are you two still about?

[EDIT] Licence: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. That's gonna be a problem with anyone picking the Mod up to maintain it. Until that's changed, or unless Roboto and Seanth come back, this mod's done. :( 

Edited by BetaguyGZT

6 hours ago, BetaguyGZT said:

If there's currently no maintainer, I'd like to pick it up, update, then continue development. @seanth @Roboto? Are you two still about?

[EDIT] Licence: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. That's gonna be a problem with anyone picking the Mod up to maintain it. Until that's changed, or unless Roboto and Seanth come back, this mod's done. :( 

Yes, we live. Just kind of busy with other things.. i can give you push access to the repository on github so you can do updates. Do you have an account? let me know and ill get you set up so you can help maintain!

I'll go ahead and download the latest on the repository, and get to work. If I need to upload, I'll create a fork on my own repository and sync releases that way. For now, the mod's licence should remain as-is. Only thing I plan to do is get the mod working and up to the 1.1.2 standard for now; any changes I might have ideas for can be discussed later. :) 

It's gonna go a little more slowly before an actual release, mainly because of RL stuff. I'm a full-time College student, and this weekend has been busy with family get-togethers (on both sides) .. I'll get there. :wink: 

I've poked, prodded, backtracked and otherwise violated the BioMass code already, and it's been slow going; but the good news is that it's not throwing nearly as many exceptions as it was when I started. It's primarily the custom UI Stuff that's causing the issues right now code-side, getting the models/meshes reworked and updated to the 1.1 standard (and then applying any small changes that 1.1.2 enforces), then doing the conversion work on the textures to .dds. They're loading as-is, mostly ... but they're leaking memory and/or suffering redraw errors occasionally (causing crashes).

So, here's the plan going forward (and I'll likely start a new thread on the Development Forum for this one):

BioMass Development Version 0.9.2.3 Changelog(In-Progress, NYR)

- (No new features to be added this time around, folks -- this one's just an update to get it working!)
- Update plugin code and refactor to the KSP 1.1.2 Standard
- Update all Models/Meshes to KSP 1.1.x Standard
- Export all textures to .dds, and try to apply some good standards to reduce BioMass' memory usage as much as possible without sacrificing the mods' features. You'll see as I do stuff this will be a common theme with me -- aggressively clean code and good quality textures that aren't blowing memory out to Jool. People do use, on average, 10~30 mods (or more); so the better we are at applying good habits and even better practices in mods that we are responsible for, the more mods Players can run without lagging out. :D 
- Conferring with the original Mod Authors and the Community about how to take BioMass further. If left to my own whims, I'll turn it into something unrecognizable; and perhaps that's not the best way to move forward. :wink: 

On 5/22/2016 at 6:39 PM, BetaguyGZT said:

- Conferring with the original Mod Authors and the Community about how to take BioMass further. If left to my own whims, I'll turn it into something unrecognizable; and perhaps that's not the best way to move forward. :wink: 

My laptop died, and I just don't have a replacement able to run KSP. I'm around, though, and enthusiastic to see someone wants to keep BioMass going.

Sorry to hear that. :( I'm a full-time Student, so progress will be slow until this term is completed (5 weeks). I'll have the rest of the Summer evenings to devote to it, so until then my work will be sporadic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26.05.2016 at 10:38 PM, BetaguyGZT said:

Sorry to hear that. :( I'm a full-time Student, so progress will be slow until this term is completed (5 weeks). I'll have the rest of the Summer evenings to devote to it, so until then my work will be sporadic.

GL.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.