The Grand 0.22 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

I think we perceive the career mode as easy because we are experienced players, and also because there is no money yet. With limited money will be impossible to make mum landings on the first flight, for example.

I find the science very fun to do, and besides the tech tree, in sand box we have neat new things too. Better landing legs, better performance, new KSC, better SAS, better island runway, recover button...

And besides this, its just the first version of science and tech tree, I have sure this will progress to a very good and fun feature!

I think it's pretty awesome. I love the new KSC and island runway models, SAS works much better although it's going to take a little getting used to after 0.21.1, performance is improved somewhat on my memory-starved machine, scene and SOI transitions no longer take forever and a day, plus I think career mode is really going to be a good thing for new players. There are some minor bugs I've encountered so far, and one or two major bugs that persist (sound in map mode for instance), but this was a huge update and overall I'm more than pleased. Great work devs!

I am just going to ask this: Just what were you really expecting? .22 was going to provide all the endgame material and the next update would be the release product? Not even close. KSP is still in alpha, for crying out loud. This is a case of setting your expectations to such unrealistic heights that even someone being raised from the dead wouldn't impress you.

This is a bad thing that too many gamers get when they enjoy a game. They expect so much from the developers that nothing the devs do will ever match that gamer's expectation. You need to step down from that high summit you have put yourself on, and realize that there is a lot yet to be done with KSP, and that there are going to be things that will never happen with the game. It may well be worth to step away from KSP for a while(at least a month) to help reset your brain and come back to the game fresh. Otherwise nothing will actually satisfy you, it will destroy the enjoyment of the game for you, and your attitude will end up driving away your gaming friends.

All I know is I am looking forward to getting in trouble with my wife for grabbing the laptop as soon as the kids are to bed and spending several hours ignoring her and going to bed WAY too late tonight.

Not that I dislike my wife...but sometimes a man has to have his priorities straight, and v.22 is where its at (for now).

That being said, I probably speak for most people (even the ones who are over the mun about this update) when I can't help saying that I wonder what will be next in .23 (or if there will be an interim update with content). The problem is SQUAD gave us this great thing called KSP and we just want more (sign of addiction?)

this post was not made here

(In caps, cuase it won't let me)

I am just going to ask this: Just what were you really expecting? .22 was going to provide all the endgame material and the next update would be the release product? Not even close. KSP is still in alpha, for crying out loud. This is a case of setting your expectations to such unrealistic heights that even someone being raised from the dead wouldn't impress you.

Where have i said anything that would implay that ?

This is a bad thing that too many gamers get when they enjoy a game. They expect so much from the developers that nothing the devs do will ever match that gamer's expectation. You need to step down from that high summit you have put yourself on,

The devs did what expected, i don't know if you know (and if you do i'm gonna call the cops, cuase i don't wanna have a creep following me!) but i do follow the devolopment of the updates.. and what high summit ??

Edited the things out that make the internet a bad place to seak friendliness and non rude people

correct me if i'm wrong, you are insulting me becuase of what you think that i expected from .22 ? what i said was, that i just think that the tech tree is to easy, now i'm not saying that you aren't a noob and it's hard for you, but for me it is :)

Edited by OneEyedShark

I like the new update a lot, but I realy do not like the new SAS. my ships wobble and don't keep a constant heading.

I hadn't been having SAS control issues prior to the update. Now I too have trouble with SAS since the update. When attempting to thrust at apoapsis (after coasting on the way up) in order to establish orbit, SAS control is unresponsive. I'm doing nothing differently (that I am aware of) in the way of flight controls.

As for the rest of the update, it looks promising.

Career mode is great, Squad did a good job on it. But I kinda expected at least some of old bugs to go away with new release, too...

I tried it for a few hours last nite. Got bored and went back to my sandbox save. I'm sure there is a fun game in there but the real appeal (to me) is the open world and doing things because I can...not because I need to earn my points to get to the next bit.

Guess I'm just a sandbox player.

It's great! I would usually rely on the nuclear engines for almost everything. Now, I'm forced to learn how to get to and land on other planets (and their moons) without nuclear engines. It really helps me to understand how to build a proper rocket with the minimum requirements. Also, being forced to use the lesser parts taught me how they are actually better for certain situations, and that I don't need to have an ultra complex, heavy rocket for simple situations that the "bad" parts can handle.

So, the update has made me a better rocket engineer, overall.

It also creates a point to play (until you unlock everything). I'm not a big fan of games that are creativity only, I like having a purpose to go to the Mun, Minmus, or wherever else. Career mode (R&D) has really solved that problem for me, and I will now be playing far more. The next feature that would go good with this one would be the ability to have satellite relays. Instead of beaming information through planets and moons, you would be required to send satellites up in orbit. It would be really cool to see some people's relays full of science satellites and communication satellites.

But that's for the future.

Regards,

Deejay

This was quite a great improvement!! Awesome job squad! I waited a day to update so the traffic would make it faster. Cant wait to start career mode!!!

I Hope they will be adding a lot more science, I see the new parts and will have to do a lot of experimenting to see how the experiments go!

I was surprised that a lot of them require experiments on Kerben, I hope there is a lot you can do in space, since that is where I will be spending most of my time!

But everything seems to work great in sandbox, so its off to a new budding kerbal astronaut career!!

Thanks Squad!

im one of those voted terrible... what science is? not even fun. the techtree built up silly, no any system in it. SAS is not any better, it was horrible after 0.21 and its the same horrible now. dont tell me

the best you can produce patches after patches. why the rocket waggle to and back when you finish a turn? thats really how it intended to work? no any new content just a very silly science an even more silly R&D and the same glitches :( not happy at all Edited by Tuareg

What I like:

Career mode is wonderful and I can see the direction they are heading

How the entire KSP starts with Jeb and the bare minimum.

Science is fun and adds another purpose to your missions.

Going back full stock with no mods is a lot more enjoyable then I thought it would be.

What I don't like

Not having enough time to play.

I still hate the maneuver node system. Very hard to get precision with the current setup.

Doing DeltaV calculations.

Doing phase angles the hard way.

As you can see most of the things I don't like are not the fault of the devs. I very much enjoy the new update and having science gives me more stuff to do and another reason to go revisit all the bodies in the Kerbol system.

Otherwise, my basic complaints are the same. I still believe that a system to give us more information such as deltaV and phase angles should be built into the game. But there are mods for that.

Also like a visual of the Goo. Just a static picture that would show when you review the data. Like it in a brittle ball or happy (How do you make Goo look happy?)

Aha! It be downloading now! :D :D :D Yay!

About 30 percent done... not so yay..

EDIT: Now about 75%, still going good

EDIT: We has achieved 90%!

EDIT: We.. well, not much change. 90% total and 60% subtotal.

Edited by Starwhip

So after a day or so of playing .22 I thought I'd share my first impressions. First of all, I'm very stoked about this whole feature. The constraint of having so few parts at the beginning has turned reaching orbit from a routine task to an interesting challenge again. I was thrilled when Jeb logged his first crew report during a sub-orbital flight, and I have not felt so proud to land on the Mun since that first crash landing several versions ago.

That said, there are a few things that just don't feel right. HarvesteR has posted before about how he wanted to implement science and career mode in general without imposing a certain style of gameplay on people, and while that sentiment is obvious in this first iteration of R&D, I find it still promotes a particular kind of mission. Because of the way specimen containers work and the fact that most experiments can only be done on planetary surfaces, there is a bias towards missions that land on other bodies, do some experiments, and return to Kerbin. That might seem to be the obvious way to go about exploring the universe, but it leaves out some styles of gameplay that are not only realistic in terms of real exploration, but also just fun to do in the game. For instance, I always like to set up large bases on other planets with infrastructure to allow for crew rotation and such. But there doesn't seem to be any incentive to stay on a planet for longer than a minute. Just do a few experiments and then head on home.

There's also still no reason for permanent satellites around any body. I know that HarvesteR has talked about setting up some kind of communications relay system, and i think that there will probably be some kind of space-base telescope parts someday. Currently though, there is a serious lack of science to be done in orbit. Most of the experiments don't even work in space.

I was also hoping there would be more for the kerbals to do. What I really wanted to see was a lab module, rather like the hitchhiker can. Something that made it worth it for kerbals to be there on the spot rather than just get the data back with the spacecraft. Perhaps, rather than imposing a penalty for transmitting results (other than the actual samples), you can instead get a bonus if there are kerbals present in a lab module. I must say though, I do like that crew/EVA reports and surface samples give you incentive to send crewed missions rather than just probes. I just wish they were there doing actual science instead of just talking about what they see.

As for the new parts, I'm not sure what they're supposed to be exactly. I can't think of any real equivalent to the Mystery Goo in the specimen containers. I don't think we do science by simply exposing some material to various conditions. The Materials Bay seems to be just a more sophisticated version of Mystery Goo. The closest thing to the Materials Bay I can think of is the experiments the Viking landers brought to Mars. But they were testing regolith from Mars, not some mystery substance brought from Earth.

I love the biomes system. Its great that there is a reason to go back to the Mun and find different landing spots. I just hope that they release biome maps for other planets in mini patches instead of waiting for the full .23 update.

To sum up my comments:

-More reasons to stay on planet and do experiments over time

-More experiments to do in space

-Lab modules for kerbals to do science in

-Model science parts after real experiments instead of mystery science boxes.

-Give me more biomes!

I hope this post doesn't sound too critical, because I'm loving this update. I'm aware that this is just the first iteration of science, I just thought I'd give my feedback for future tweaks and such. And of course, I would love to see what others think.

-Model science parts after real experiments instead of mystery science boxes.

This is quoted for TRUTH right here. I am working on a long post about this very subject and will upload once I'm satisfied I have reasonably explored the science and science parts available in .22.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.