The Grand 0.22 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

The latest science features have rendered landing modules completely useless -- using an Apollo-style landing module + command module will net you ZERO science because it's lost when you decouple and return your Kerbals in a re-entry vehicle instead of the lander.

Please fix this in update .23!

The latest science features have rendered landing modules completely useless -- using an Apollo-style landing module + command module will net you ZERO science because it's lost when you decouple and return your Kerbals in a re-entry vehicle instead of the lander.

Please fix this in update .23!

I agree. Science should be stored in science containers, not in the science module.

Been playing in career mode: I am really enjoying the progression.

I didn't understand how to get science at first;

First mission used overheating SRB decoupler to orbit the mun. Spammed some science on Kerbin pad/shore/runway/atmosphere etc.

Unlocked more science parts (ELECTRICITY!!!). Landed on the mun and returned.

Unlocked more rockets and solar panels and more science parts and landed a ship on minmus follow by a "hopper" on the mun to visit 3 different biomes.

Unlocked more science parts and send another "hopper" to the mun to visit more biomes.

The last mission unlocked mainsails. Now; the only way to get more science seems to be to send "new" instruments to repeat old missions... OR to go interplanetary.

I don't really want to simply repeat an old mission with new instruments; so this is actually really great in that it encourages me to expand my horizons.

I really am pleased that the progression has given me enough to accomplish new missions without so much as to make them easy. For instance I don't yet have thermoelectric generators; still relying on solar and batteries.

This was one of the best post Ive read regarding KSP, I pretty much agree with all of it and I hope that the devs have seen it.

Thanks. I've been playing KSP so much lately I haven't really had time to keep up with the forum :) After last nights marathon trip to Jool I figured I'd better not play tonight or I wouldn't get any sleep again.

*snip

SAS

I've only tried the SAS in the demo, 0.21 and now 0.22 and I must say my favourite was 0.21. It might be because I use a joystick (I bought it just for KSP). With the new SAS my ship bounces around a lot more and I have to give more jerky input on the joystick like I did when I was using the keyboard and 'feathering' the input. I like the joystick because it lets me give very small steady inputs, but the new SAS doesn't seem to like this.

*snip

Overall excellent post and I agree with every point.

I use a joystick too, I think it's easiest to bind momentary SAS toggle (f) to the trigger-- hold it down to turn it off, change pitch, then release to reactivate. Seems to bounce around less than just leaving it on.

I haven't looked through this thread to see if it's been mentioned or not, but has anyone else had issues with struts breaking much easier in 0.22 than in previous versions? I've got some large ships that could at least get most of the way into orbit before that just come apart on the launch pad now. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Whoo! Updates! I just got back to playing this game after finishing up all of my uni work. Tried to get back on the forums, but my account must've died during the Great Forum Purge of April 2013, where the brave accounts of the Forumland fought against the E-Kraken. That being said, I'm back now and looking forward to testing out the career mode.

Keep up the great work Squad!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the Science points. It's boring, and feels arbitrary and forced, like someone is trying to come up with a Career mode but doesn't really know how to make it fun or how to get it to progress, so they dumped this scoring system on it. It's outstandingly average game design (meaning it's very disappointing, coming from Squad) and it, for me at least, adds absolutely nothing but limitations to an otherwise fun, quirky and deep game. In fact, it kills most of the fun, and frustrates me because instead of figuring out how to fly space missions I'm trying to figure out what Squad think I should do to earn points. The only reason it's difficult to earn points, is because they deliberately left out the instructions on how to score points. I am not playing a space mission in a realistic universe with physics as the obstacles to overcome. Instead, I'm being constantly reminded that I'm playing a game and I need to figure out an opaque game mechanic before I can progress to more of the same. This is not good game design, it's actually quite BAD.

Edited by innovine

• 2 weeks later...
And I STILL haven't found how the Nose Cones affect stability. Any word on it from the devs? Or the mods? Or anyone, for that matter?

They keep your ship pointing prograde while in atmosphere. Kind of like the fins do, only they don't do much to help spinning unless you put them on radially attached tanks.

Make a simple ship without a nosecone, and launch it without SAS. Then put a nosecone on and launch it again without SAS, and you'll see what it does.

And I STILL haven't found how the Nose Cones affect stability. Any word on it from the devs? Or the mods? Or anyone, for that matter?

They have a lower drag than most parts, so they'll tend to pull the part of the vehicle they're into a prograde facing direction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.