[DISCUSSION] RemoteTech 2 Lite development

Cilph

So will signal delay be implemented or is it still planned for future releases? What about kOS?

Signal Delay is implemented, it's just switched off until I finish the flight computer in a future release. That will probably come with kOS integration out of the box.

Career stuff!

http://i.imgur.com/OkwRzka.png

Communotron 16 (2.5Mm) Start

Communotron 32 (5Mm) Large Electrics

Reflectron DP-10 (500k) Flight Control

CommTech EXP-VR1 (3Mm) Specialized Electrics

Communotron DTS-M1 (50MM) Science Tech

Communotron 88-88 (600Mm) Electronics

Reflectron SS-5 (90Mm) Electrics

Reflectron LL-5 (450Mm) Large Electrics

Reflectron GX-128 (4Gm) Adv Science Tech

CommTech XYZ (3.5Gm) Specialized Electrics

Antenna omni range in off mode reduced to zero. To compensate ProbeCoreOcto, CoreCube, StackSmall, StackLarge will receive an integrated 3km antenna at no cost. None for the Sphere, Hex or FlatOcto

Antennas will receive a passive SPU to allow for participation in routing and science transmission on manned pre-probe vehicles. (TODO)

COMMENTS?

Edited by Cilph

Looks like a pretty good progression there Cliph. I had always hoped this point in the development of KSP would bring RT into its own, whenever it occurred. The devs understandably went with the simple solution to maintain their gameplay design (fun but educational and challenging, which it still is), but having the ability/need to build a communications network before going off into deep space is what we did on Earth and it makes sense to do something similar for KSP for those who want that extra level of challenge.

One thing I thought of that I'd like to request for future consideration is a "base station" dish that is designed to be only deployed on the surface/landed and can act as a Deep Space Network or off-Kerbin base "prime" communications node that would have a large power requirement but would also allow for a higher/faster transmission rate for large amounts of data. Personally, I'd make it something that can be deployed by a Kerbal picking it up and planting it or that a robotic arm/crane can do the same to (i.e. via KAS) instead of it needing to be attached to the vehicle and some complex deployment animation.

Signal Delay is implemented, it's just switched off until I finish the flight computer in a future release. That will probably come with kOS integration out of the box.

Career stuff!

http://i.imgur.com/OkwRzka.png

Communotron 16 (2.5Mm) Start

Communotron 32 (5Mm) Large Electrics

Reflectron DP-10 (500k) Flight Control

CommTech EXP-VR1 (3Mm) Specialized Electrics

Communotron DTS-M1 (50MM) Science Tech

Communotron 88-88 (600Mm) Electronics

Reflectron SS-5 (90Mm) Electrics

Reflectron LL-5 (450Mm) Large Electrics

Reflectron GX-128 (4Gm) Adv Science Tech

CommTech XYZ (3.5Gm) Specialized Electrics

Antenna omni range in off mode reduced to zero. To compensate ProbeCoreOcto, CoreCube, StackSmall, StackLarge will receive an integrated 3km antenna at no cost. None for the Sphere, Hex or FlatOcto

Antennas will receive a passive SPU to allow for participation in routing and science transmission on manned pre-probe vehicles. (TODO)

COMMENTS?

Sounds good! I can't wait to integrate all this into the realistic overhaul tech tree!

I think this mod will right in with it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55253-WIP-Full-Realistic-Tech-Tree-Overhaul

Just waiting on R4m0n to see if the can do a tweak or two to the TreeEdit, if it's too complicated, then we'll do as best we can to keep the usability up.

Thanks for keeping this alive Cilph!

I'd like for five people to test RT2 for two/three days before I put out any releases. If there are volunteers, please send me a PM. Please be a competent individual with programming or testing experience.

EDIT: Sent to NathanKell, acc, MedievalNerd, TaranisElsu and Vrana ;).

Edited by Cilph

I don't think I will have time for deep-testing for the next two-three days, but I don't know why you wouldn't release an open beta after all. ^^

And I came up with a wonder. It's not really important but as I run Linux far more often than windows, it would be great if RT would be cross-compatible. I don't know which amount of work it would require, but if you don't want or can't do that I won't bother, I have to run KSP on windows for the other mods anyway. ;) Still would be a nice feature I think. If every modder made it, a lot of people wouldn't have to run Windows for KSP anymore.

I don't think I will have time for deep-testing for the next two-three days, but I don't know why you wouldn't release an open beta after all. ^^

And I came up with a wonder. It's not really important but as I run Linux far more often than windows, it would be great if RT would be cross-compatible. I don't know which amount of work it would require, but if you don't want or can't do that I won't bother, I have to run KSP on windows for the other mods anyway. ;) Still would be a nice feature I think. If every modder made it, a lot of people wouldn't have to run Windows for KSP anymore.

I dont see why other mods require Windows....? I don't think I do. I haven't run it on Linux but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Oh, and I don't do an open beta because (sorry) some individuals are idiots and can't read instructions.

There are no real linux v. windows issues for ksp mods. Some modders do make capitalization mistakes when naming things (windows often does not distinguish between capital and lower case whereas linux does). When these happen they can manifest in very strange ways such as rocket exhaust firing in the wrong direction or textures not loading. So couple quick "betas" on a linux and a mac might prevent headaches.

Just go and get it off of github like I did.

There are no real linux v. windows issues for ksp mods. Some modders do make capitalization mistakes when naming things (windows often does not distinguish between capital and lower case whereas linux does). When these happen they can manifest in very strange ways such as rocket exhaust firing in the wrong direction or textures not loading. So couple quick "betas" on a linux and a mac might prevent headaches.

No worries, I run Linux all the time so the case-sensitivity is baked into my head.

Just go and get it off of github like I did.

Enjoy the bugs. I'm still busy fixing the bug reports I get sent ;).

Edited by Cilph

I will test further, but so far, the two mods I tried to install both made the game crash on loading...

Well, I just fixed all bugs reported to me. Did fix a launch clamp crash bug in the first build I gave out, so I'm not sure where you got yours :P.

Well, I just fixed all bugs reported to me. Did fix a launch clamp crash bug in the first build I gave out, so I'm not sure where you got yours :P.

I didn't test RT yet. :) I just figured out that Linux compatibility for mods may not be automatic, as the two other mods I tried to install did crash on loading.

I didn't test RT yet. :) I just figured out that Linux compatibility for mods may not be automatic, as the two other mods I tried to install did crash on loading.

You should take cross-platform compatibility as automatic. The rate of platform-specific incompatibility amongst mods is almost nonexistent. The rate of conflict between plugins, or of intermittent bugs within individual mods, is infinitely higher. That is almost certainly where your problem arises. Or you are dealing with "mods" that aren't actually mods rather than stand-alone programs external to KSP such as the custom parts creators.

Regardless, do not mention bugs from one mod in another's thread, especially a development thread. Mod developers are not troubleshooters for anything other than their own material.

You should take cross-platform compatibility as automatic. The rate of platform-specific incompatibility amongst mods is almost nonexistent. The rate of conflict between plugins, or of intermittent bugs within individual mods, is infinitely higher. That is almost certainly where your problem arises. Or you are dealing with "mods" that aren't actually mods rather than stand-alone programs external to KSP such as the custom parts creators.

Regardless, do not mention bugs from one mod in another's thread, especially a development thread. Mod developers are not troubleshooters for anything other than their own material.

I was mentioning these bugs as they made me thinking Linux compatibility was an issue, but I certainly tried one of the exceptions, so don't take my comment into account, that's all. Admit that seeing dlls on Linux is frigthening regarding compatibility. ^^

Okay, I couldn't be bothered to add a settings file for now, so consider this the first release!

http://epsilonzero.nl/downloads/RemoteTech2_Release_Candidate_1.zip

Report any bugs at: https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/

If all goes well I'll put up an official release post tomorrow. NOW GO HAVE FUN AND PLAY.

If the download isn't quite working yet it's because I just set up the DNS and webserver config. Give it half an hour.

All seems to work well enough with NathanKell's Real Earth, just had to adjust the probe core minimum range a few kilometers to register on launchpad. So far quite enjoyable, glad you kept some elements of the old rough RT2. The KSC indicator is so useful

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.