Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I'm trying to make some parts KAS compatible, namely using the KASModuleGrab and KASModulePartBay modules.

As a starting point I copied the module code from the Container1 and ContainerBay parts of KAS, with the view that this would give me a starting point from which to tweak things and understand how the variables work.

But I can't grab the part on EVA (the actual Container parts work just fine so I know it's the part causing the problem not the mod).

Is there a reason copying across the code as I've described would not allow me to grab the part on EVA?

I'm trying to make some parts KAS compatible, namely using the KASModuleGrab and KASModulePartBay modules.

As a starting point I copied the module code from the Container1 and ContainerBay parts of KAS, with the view that this would give me a starting point from which to tweak things and understand how the variables work.

But I can't grab the part on EVA (the actual Container parts work just fine so I know it's the part causing the problem not the mod).

Is there a reason copying across the code as I've described would not allow me to grab the part on EVA?

What does your KASModuleGrab code look like? Is it a MM config or direct cfg editing of the part?

What does your KASModuleGrab code look like? Is it a MM config or direct cfg editing of the part?

Direct editing, I took the code from the Container 1 and copied it into my part.cfg

My part has a node called node_stack_bottom and I've set the node to allow collision just in case that was a requirement (it is set to 1 on the KSA container)

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

attachNodeName = bottom

customGroundPos = true

dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.55)

dropPartRot = (-10.0, 0.0, 0.0)

bayType = containerA

bayNode = bottom

bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

}

I was wondering: since the new Klaw is TL5, and the electromagnet is TL9 (and uses a ton of power, to boot), does the ARM patch basically make the electromagnet obsolete?

Not for me, but I like an electromagnet to look like an electromagnet. :wink:

Is there any way to get as much fixes as possible to previous release ?

What is stopping you from copying over your save file into a 23.5 install?

(You should always play a copy of your original downloaded KSP.)

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

attachNodeName = bottom

customGroundPos = true

bayType = containerA

bayNode = bottom

bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

}

Not sure why you copied the bay code, rather than an actual part similar to what you want KASify, but I think I'm right in thinking you should use this code instead

MODULE
{
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
dropAtGroundPos = false
addPartMass = false
storable = true
storedSize = 3
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}

What exactly is it you want to KASify? Do you want it to be a container or just something that can be carried and stored? Because this code is for the latter..

Not sure why you copied the bay code, rather than an actual part similar to what you want KASify, but I think I'm right in thinking you should use this code instead

He is probably trying to make the universal containers he is working on function like KAS bays and containers. Probably partially due to my bugging him about it lol.

Here is his mod. You will pretty much understand right away what he is probably trying to do.

I was wondering: since the new Klaw is TL5, and the electromagnet is TL9 (and uses a ton of power, to boot), does the ARM patch basically make the electromagnet obsolete?

No. The grappling hook, maybe. The Klaw requires an impact, whereas the electromagnet is the opposite - it will attach from some distance.

Ah yes, I see now. Well, I don't see why it wouldn't work in that case.. Sorry, I can't help you more :(

So this is embarrassing.....

I have several dev installs of KSP and pointed my shortcut to the wrong one. So I was updating one file and running a different one (I'll get my coat).

The good news is that it's now working and I'm tweaking the values, so Universal Containers will be KASable.

So this is embarrassing.....

I have several dev installs of KSP and pointed my shortcut to the wrong one. So I was updating one file and running a different one (I'll get my coat).

The good news is that it's now working and I'm tweaking the values, so Universal Containers will be KASable.

Hah, it happens to the best of us.. Recently, I was configuring some CoolRockets effects for KW engines.. change the value a little bit, load game, no visible change, change value more, reload game, still no change.. It took me a while before I realised I was editing a different cfg than KSP was loading.

Glad yours is all working now though :)

Sooo

Since the update, the KAS one, not the ARM one, I can't seem to grab parts, I've seen things that might be related there but i'm not sure...

Any news about that?

I'm having a similar problem: once a kerbal grabs a part I can't click on the part to get him to let it go, no menu will appear on any part that a kerbal is carrying. Keys still work.

Edited by RuBisCO

I can't even grab anything, I can attach them somewhere close to where it was, but not grab them (put it on the kerbal's back).

Tried a clean install, doesn't change anything.

I can't even grab anything, I can attach them somewhere close to where it was, but not grab them (put it on the kerbal's back).

Tried a clean install, doesn't change anything.

Are you saying that you can pick things up, and put them back, but not move around?

No, I can use the "Attach" action(On part already on a ship, for example a cubic octogonal strut on my space station), and place it somewhere else , but I can't grab it (take it on my kerbal), nor can I grab parts from the containers.

Idea: kas subassemblies

Execution: Drop subassembly into the kas container (would probably need a bigger container) once dropped all parts appear as a tree list with the root name being the name of the subassembly.

Why: easy in-space assembly of rovers etc. Or allow building of vessels too wide for the vab(would need very big containers(and/or splitting the storage to several containers)

Who: mod makers who reference the kas api for their mod. Also perhaps a nice feature for the core plugin.

Yup. Strutting the ship to the asteroid once you've caught it is a Very Good Idea.

Oh good, because I keep getting the "KAS Winch Blocked by Advaned Grabbing unit" Message and I was hoping I could use the winches to tow and asteroid into an orbit.

No, I can use the "Attach" action(On part already on a ship, for example a cubic octogonal strut on my space station), and place it somewhere else , but I can't grab it (take it on my kerbal), nor can I grab parts from the containers.

Issue randomly fixed itself. I love this game.

Thanks anyway :P

We can't change the angle of a part when we're attaching it, right?

Oh good, because I keep getting the "KAS Winch Blocked by Advaned Grabbing unit" Message and I was hoping I could use the winches to tow and asteroid into an orbit.

Warning: the grappling hooks (KAS edition) don't seem to work, and pass through it. But I think the radial attachments will work just fine.