Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Sometimes i have problems "clicking" a part when in EVA.

It attaches on your back, and if the menu goes away, there is no way to get it back until you pick up another piece and swap again.d

Known bug. You can use the key commands as a workaround.

Why on earth is that even a restriction?

More to the point, I don't think Majiir actually has the right to restrict that. If you're using KAS as a dependency for a part, that doesn't mean you are redistributing any parts of KAS as your own, and that usage should fall under fair use as a derivative work (at most). The part config is (presumably) your creation, and in effect, would be equivalent to using an MM config to do the same thing. It may require KAS' modules to be present, but that doesn't mean KAS' creator can dictate which parts you may use.

I seriously doubt the legitimacy of this part of the license:

Pretty sure the license is overstepping its bounds at that point.

In any case, that's an excessively draconian license, to presume to restrict what other authors may or may not do with their own works. The authority of those statements are rendered even more invalid in the context of KAS being and open-source extension of KSP, provided freely and at no cost.

I'll need to go digging through legislation to find precedent but I have serious doubts. It's rather like someone making a painting that requires a UV lamp to be visible, and the UV lamp manufacturer saying you can't use their UV lamps like that. (Not exactly; the law is somewhat different but it's a rough analogy at least.)

Not sure if the mod maintainers/authors are about, but I'd like to request a license waver to distribute a part with KASModuleStrut, per this bit of the license under the 'YOU MAY NOT' heading:

"• Use components of the KAS plugin, including parts and part modules, except where explicitly allowed."

So I would like to request a waiver for this to use in making large tubes for connecting base components please :)

Concur, and tried to ask permission (both here and via PM when I first started MKS) given that the one part module I need to use is one they explicitly state I cannot derive from in a distributed part.

I wrote this licence quite hastily, sorry if it leaded to some confusion. I do not want to restrict the use of some modules at all. As long as your are using KAS as reference/dependency, everything is OK.

I modified the licence on my Github page, I hope the new text will be better :

Changed that:

Distribute your own parts using the following part modules:

KASModuleGrab

KASModuleContainer

KASModulePartBay

KASModulePort

To that

Distribute your own parts using any part modules included in KAS.

If someone think something else need to be modified on the licence, feel free to PM me.

Edited by KospY

Is there a way for me to make the EVA placable struts more rigid? They don't do anything to prevent station wobble, and there doesn't seem to be the usual linearstrength, angularstrength and maxlength parameters in the part file.

Is there a way for me to make the EVA placable struts more rigid? They don't do anything to prevent station wobble, and there doesn't seem to be the usual linearstrength, angularstrength and maxlength parameters in the part file.

Try increasing their mass. iirc KSP/Unity has problems with stack attachments where you're sandwiching a light part between two heavier parts.

I wrote this licence quite hastily, sorry if it leaded to some confusion. I do not want to restrict the use of some modules at all. As long as your are using KAS as reference/dependency, everything is OK.

I modified the licence on my Github page, I hope the new text will be better :

Changed that:

To that

If someone think something else need to be modified on the licence, feel free to PM me.

Absolutely awesome :) That just made my life a lot easier!

So is there any particular reason that the containers can be picked up and dropped but not reattached to other parts or their racks? I tinkered with the grab module for one of them, but I'm not quite proficient enough yet to adjust the attachment parameters so that they don't clip into what you're attaching them to.

So is there any particular reason that the containers can be picked up and dropped but not reattached to other parts or their racks?

Not attaching them to a part is normal. Not attaching them to their racks is not. Any chance you could post a pic of your racks that you can't attach the container to?

Not attaching them to a part is normal. Not attaching them to their racks is not. Any chance you could post a pic of your racks that you can't attach the container to?

Thanks. I tried this before, but I suppose I was right-clicking through the rack and onto whatever the rack was attached to. Tried again and the option is there, my bad.

Hi devs, could i make a request, if its not too much trouble?

Is it possible to assign an animation to the "Open Container" module? I've made a KAS storage container that has internals, and it would be icing on the cake if i could assign its door to open when you accessed it to get stuff. At the moment, it's a separate GUI button.

2ZiK5Gn.jpg

My colleague and I have also noticed that KAS storage boxes, (and our wedges that are configured to use KAS), don't snap back into their bays properly after picking them up and reattaching them. They seem to rotate inwards a few degrees and look quite... structurally unsound.

2014-04-30-08_27_04-Kerbal-Space-Program.png

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Can KAS eat craft? I had a small base on a moon attached via pipe to a ground pylon.

I had an issue and restored my quick save.

Base and ground pylon gone. The poor wee Kerbal in the base is I guess keeping the Kraken company and the rest of the crew are left on Tylo gawking at where their only shelter used to be.

Ship in orbit is sending a rescue mission but mission control are still in a state of shock.

(I did try Alt-F4) and resuming but base still missing.

Can KAS eat craft? I had a small base on a moon attached via pipe to a ground pylon.

I had an issue and restored my quick save.

Base and ground pylon gone. The poor wee Kerbal in the base is I guess keeping the Kraken company and the rest of the crew are left on Tylo gawking at where their only shelter used to be.

Ship in orbit is sending a rescue mission but mission control are still in a state of shock.

(I did try Alt-F4) and resuming but base still missing.

That sucks dude :(

I personally never ever ever ever ever ever leave a scene with anything still connected using KAS pipes or winches as there is a very high likelihood that the Kraken will ruin your day.

That being said KAS rocks for attaching parts and pumping resources around, not so much making permanent bases.

leave a scene with anything still connected using KAS winches as there is a very high likelihood that the Kraken will ruin your day.

The Kraken got to my Minmus base's crane today, I think it is because I reverted to a quicksave where something was hanging from it. It was really deflating to see the crane ruined like that.

Its got like invisible sections and if you use any of the servo controls the whole base starts to jiggle.

http://imgur.com/a/P7pn0

I've had similiar issues with the Kraken whenever a winch is extended actually. I haven't used pipes enough to test that however.

I also found an interesting issue with asteroids. I'm not sure if there's just an odd collider or what, but take a look below. In this case, I wanted to make a tiny asteroid lander, inspired by the Rosetta mission. The lander simply 'ejects' the grappling hook into the asteroid and reels it in.

When I came at this particular D-class from the 'rough' side, the hook went straight through - and attached to the smooth side. If I try to retract the cable in the first image, the lander will simply bump into the surface and glitch about as if the winch is trying to pull THROUGH the dirt but the rest of the craft can't pass through.

52uLO6X.png

Since it was able ot attach to the smooth side of said asteroid, I tried a second attempt from the opposite side (after a quicksave) - it attached perfectly to the surface - no clipping - and reeled in the lander without problem.

QLxnfBD.png

That said, when I returned to the craft after a save, the lander was several KM away - looks like the hook can't hold up through a save or a time warp. I expected this particular issue however, since i've seen it with space stations as well. Note the stock "Klaw' works just fine from save to save.

yDr43Uu.png

I suspect this has been brought up before, but a quick thread search didn't show much. Note that all my mods are up to date (including the latest KAS), although I do have a ton of them installed. (also, forgive the forum newbie, but how does one resize images for the thread? Do I need to do that using imgur first?)

Ok trying to figure out how when using PartLoader.getPartInfoByName to add your partmodules to stock parts in your plugin. you keep it from throwing NULL Reference exceptions on execution.

I can get it to work by wrapping it in a try block - even though partmodule is loaded onto the part. the log still shows the code threw a exception. even trying some of your code in my project does not get rid of the exception.

try
{
PartLoader.getPartInfoByName("kerbalEVA").partPrefab.AddModule("IFILifeSupportEVA");
Debug.Log(" IFI Preload ++Module++ Module Added");
}
catch (Exception ex) { Debug.Log(" IFI Exception +addmodule+ " + ex.Message); }

or this

AvailablePart EVAmod = PartLoader.getPartInfoByName("kerbalEVA");
try
{
EVAmod.partPrefab.AddModule("IFILifeSupportEVA");
}

catch (Exception ex) { Debug.Log(" IFI Exception +addmodule+ " + ex.Message); }

Just figured since you mod works so well and dosen't throw exceptions you might be able to help

Thank you.

Having trouble with fuel lines. I get the two ships within 20m of each other and null out the DV. Then EVA and attach pipe ends. Prior to EVA I ensure mechjeb is turned OFF on both ships.

Then I switch to either ship and use tac fuel balancer move the liquid and oxidizer. I have tried 0.1, 1.0, 10.0, 100.0 and the results are the same the ships start oscillating, slowly at first, but it keeps building until it's violent enough to EXPLODE the ships.

Once it reaches a point you cannot get the eva'd kerbal to the pipe end to unlink it. The only way I have found to stop the bucking is switch tot he eva'd kerbal, making sure he is off any ladders and quickly tap the period and comma to warp for an instant and the oscillation will instantly stop but will gradually grow again so you have to rush and unlink.

Why is this happening and how do I stop it please?

I am running career mode, 0.23.5, with the latest KAS.

thanks in advance for any advice / help.

Hi all, sorry for the noob question but hopefully you KAS gurus can set me straight...

I've seen references to "Flexotubes" and "Expandotubes" which appear from context to be separate parts. Can you advise which, if either, are part of this mod and what, if anything, is the difference?

At the end of the day, i'm looking for tubes to connect to stock parts without increasing my mod footprint too much.

Thanks!

I'm having serious problem with 0.4.7. Whenever I grab part from ship or take it from the container ship explodes.

This never happened to me in previous versions of KAS. Anyone knows how to solve this?

Quite sometime ago I mentioned this:

Yesterday I downloaded KAS and after messing around for a bit I had a truly kerbal idea, I don't know if this is a thing.

This is a proof of concept.

The munarch science hammock base.

(image)

Also perhaps, mohole base???

I sort of forgot about the Mohole base until last weekend. So I present Jeb's latest permanent vacation house:

kNDSidJ.png?1