Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Now please don't tell health and safety I've been doing this but...

I've been letting my kerbals ride around on the end of a crane swinging around not just because its fun for them but also because its handy to have them in just the right position to be dropped off and hook up the crane...

While leaving the game and returning to it (with a kerbal attached to a crane), I've noticed that kerbal has vanished! is this a known bug?

Of course the easy work around is simply not to leave kerbals dangling... but I was curious to know whats going on - I notice the game doesn't allow you to save on a ladder, so I persume its a limitation of how the game save code works (and likely to be none fixable - if you can't prevent the user leaving for the space centre from a plugin...)

Now all I gotta do if figure out how to get that flimsy mobile crane to the Mun...

Hi.

Is it possible to make grappling hook eject at a longer distance?

Great mod BTW, one of the most useful.

Edit: Nevermind i figured it out.

Edit 2: Ok. i edited the cable length, but the grappling hook won't attach at such distance? What i have to do, to remedy this problem?

Edited by DeepOdyssey

I have encountered a bug that can be recreated as follows:

1. In the config file of any part that is grabable and storable, set "stateless = false" in KASModuleGrab.

2. In the VAB, add an instance of this part to a container.

3. Spawn the craft, take a Kerbal EVA, open the "Container contents" dialogue, and click "Take" for the part in question.

4. Click "Store."

5. Click "Take" again.

The 2nd time the part is taken from the container, it will drop to the ground, and there will be no option to grab the part. The option to "Attach" remains in the GUI, and functions as intended. An option to "Drop" is also listed, but appears to do nothing. There is no apparent means by which this part can be picked up by a Kerbal or returned to the container. Strangely, the part behaves completely normally the first time it is taken from the container; these problems emerge only after it has been stored and taken again. Also, making "stateless = true" completely resolves the problem.

Any ideas?

Edited by Fraz86

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite... I know that the OX retractable panels, the ones without a protective case, can't be picked up by a Kerbal. You can't right-click on the base once the panel shatters. But I think the SP panels, the ones that do have a case to store them, can be repacked and grabbed again if they get broken.

Silly request, but is there a way to allow kerbals to ignite separtrons while on EVA? I've added the grab module to the motors and I can move them around and store them like any other part, even ignite them (to zero effect) while being carried upon a kerbal's back, but there's no option to start the motor once they're attached to something, as opposed to dishes and antennas and the like that you can open while on EVA.

I don't know if KAS even covers that sort of behavior or not, but if there's a fairly simple way to do it, I'd like to know. And if not, that's fine, it's mostly just to goof around with anyway.

Kerbal rocket backpack. Interesting but would likely not thrust straight.

Not quite... I know that the OX retractable panels, the ones without a protective case, can't be picked up by a Kerbal. You can't right-click on the base once the panel shatters. But I think the SP panels, the ones that do have a case to store them, can be repacked and grabbed again if they get broken.

Can they be repaired if the panels are gone, like after a reentry with them left extended?

Can they be repaired...?

I don't think so. With stock parts and no plugins, the only thing Kerbonauts can repair on EVA are busted rover wheels. Shattered solar cell panels are gone for good. What I would do is pack an extra set of emergency panels, in case of accidents on the mission.

Gee, that's two replies regarding solar panels. One more and you could maybe consider me an "expert," haha. :D

Edit 2: Ok. i edited the cable length, but the grappling hook won't attach at such distance? What i have to do, to remedy this problem?

You can change the eject force for the winch the same way you did the cable length.

If it wouldn't cause problems - I don't think it would, but I'm not a modder - could the racks that the containers fit into be added to the list of things that can be picked up, reattached, and/or broken down and stored in containers? (I imagine an expandable frame.) I plan to do this for my own installation by editing the config files, but thought I'd suggest it for addition/inclusion in the general release as well.

122 pages ... Oops.

How can I fix my base solid to the ground? Every time I switch focus or come out of timewarp, every building/ship/structure is oscillating, sometimes as hell, sometimes sending messages to the kraken, which then comes and as a free service disassembles and shakes all parts beyond physics range.

I thought ground pylons would be the answer since they can be attached to solid ground but alas.

Would it be possible to get a Kerbal to carry another Kerbal on his back with this mod?

This would be great if it was possible for kerbals to be wounded. "Jeb broke his leg when he crashed the rover! We need to get him back to the medial bay!"

Would it be possible to get a Kerbal to carry another Kerbal on his back with this mod?
This would be great if it was possible for kerbals to be wounded. "Jeb broke his leg when he crashed the rover! We need to get him back to the medial bay!"

You think "Help a wounded Kerbal" and my first thought is "Chicken fights!"

(The kind you have in swimming pools, not actual chicken fighting. That's terrible)

Yep, that's what I'm getting at.

If they're in that rover seat thing, yes.

Nice going! I think I will fiddle with the addModule config to get the seat to attach so the carried Kerbal is 'vertical'

Nice going! I think I will fiddle with the addModule config to get the seat to attach so the carried Kerbal is 'vertical'

Changing the addModule numbers to the following produces this:

Pe6tFWC.jpg

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.30) //the lower the number, the further away it'll be. I chose a happy medium between clipping and looking ridiculous

evaPartDir = (0,1,0)

Also, don't jump. And if you drop the seat, the kerbal falls out.

Also, don't jump.

That sounds like a dare to me. And I may need to try it in various gravitational fields and atmospheric densities.

Jeb: Grab that chair, we're going to Gilly.

Bill: But this mission was to...

Jeb: To GILLY! For SCIENCE!

Changing the addModule numbers to the following produces this:

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.30) //the lower the number, the further away it'll be. I chose a happy medium between clipping and looking ridiculous

evaPartDir = (0,1,0)

Also, don't jump. And if you drop the seat, the kerbal falls out.

Haha awesome! Thanks so much!

It's time to try piggy back inception :)

Edited by Sheiss