Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Can anyone verify if 0.24.1 under 32-bit still throws save-file-corrupting null references?

I must not be paying enough attention, but I hadn't heard of this save corruption and have been using KAS lightly since 24.0 (just moved some small parts around, haven't actually had any parts added by the KAS pack on any of my ships) and my save has been fine...

I must not be paying enough attention, but I hadn't heard of this save corruption and have been using KAS lightly since 24.0 (just moved some small parts around, haven't actually had any parts added by the KAS pack on any of my ships) and my save has been fine...

I scrounged around and it turns out I misremembered the claim. It's not corrupting saves so much as just destroying craft, at least so says BigD145.

KAS is causing null refs in the 32bit build, which can completely destroy a craft and/or cause ctd. It is not stable. What sucks is that other mods are tied to KAS rather directly.

I basically just wanted to know if 0.24.1 changed that problem or not.

Running 32 bit here. Didn't try it before the hotfix so I don't know if this is new to 24.1 but when I place something inside a container I'm unable to remove it from the container.

Same issue here on 32 bit, getting the error

[Exception]: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Part.LoadModule'.

Whenever i try to remove anything from a kas container

Looks like plugin is not loaded....

I'm getting the same error and the same bug, don't know if this is new in .24.1 or not. I'm also unable to reattach KAS containers once I've grabbed them, there's no option. I'm not sure if this is just how that particular part works or not, I haven't used KAS since .22 came out. This also happens with Universal Storage's wedges. Both being unable to remove stored container items and being unable to reattach containers/wedges.

Edited by SwissArmyKnife

I scrounged around and it turns out I misremembered the claim. It's not corrupting saves so much as just destroying craft, at least so says BigD145.

Yup, as soon as I get close to some "old" ships (0.23 save that I ported), the game starts throwing a wall of "nullreference: reference set to invalid object" (or something very similar, the part that I remember is there is no mod-specific message that I can read before it is substituted by that). Also, I have heard reports that some craft files with KAS grabbable parts (no KAS parts themselves or any other mod!) I have messed with in 0.24 throw bugs for other people with bugs like turning on/off RCS, the engine, switching control point... and all gets solved if you re-save the ship in a KAS-free install. So this thing IS breaking stuff still, even in 32 bit which is what I use. Best guess right now is that it has to do with the KAS modules added to the parts.

In short, my treasured career save is awaiting some kind of complete fix... or a savefile edit session that I don't even want to consider to remove all KAS modules from the save.

Rune. Sound definitely not fun. :(

I'm getting the same error and the same bug, don't know if this is new in .24.1 or not. I'm also unable to reattach KAS containers once I've grabbed them, there's no option. I'm not sure if this is just how that particular part works or not, I haven't used KAS since .22 came out. This also happens with Universal Storage's wedges. Both being unable to remove stored container items and being unable to reattach containers/wedges.

I can remove , grab and reattach, link items as long as they are not in KAS containers, just anything haveing to do with containers seems not to work, was working pre-24.1, so not sure if some small change affected this.

if 0.24.1 breaks KAS again i stay on 0.24 :D there KAS works (at least on 32bit) like nothing happened :D

Unfortunately not for everyone. Many have already posted not being able to use KAS in .24 32 bit so had been no reason to post yet another report.

I basically just wanted to know if 0.24.1 changed that problem or not.

It's a bit of both, and it is not KAS. It is a change Squad made to the way PartModules are added to Parts. What happens is old craft (both those launched AND those saved as .craft files) get their PartModules overwritten by repeated references to (in my case, anyways) ModuleAeroReentry and FarBasicDragModel. It could be anything, mine did those specifically because of the specific mods I have. Once the PartModules are all screwed up by the KSP bug, you get NullRefs all over the place. This causes CTD, and also gets saved in your persistence file. So it does crash, and it does "corrupt" your save file (or .craft file, if in the VAB or SPH). Once this has happened, the only way to fix it is to rebuild the craft in question and save a new .craft, or launch it, save the persistence file, and edit the ship throwing NullRefs PartModules to match the one you lauched (which will have the correct PartModules). This is the gamebreaking bug they fixed in .24.1 supposedly (haven't tested it myself).

I know it is a PITA. I spent 2 days after updating mods to .24 editing my save file to save my existing ships.

The author is currently on a hiatus, and nobody knows when he'll be back.

umm, not exactly. The ORIGINAL author sure, but Majiir is active. even post in here just a few days ago.

umm, not exactly. The ORIGINAL author sure, but Majiir is active. even post in here just a few days ago.

I'm talking about Majiir. In his post on this thread a few days ago he said that he will not be able to update KAS in a timely manner. That's why I'm saying hiatus. Maybe that wasn't the correct terminology to use, but at the end of the day, nobody knows when KAS is going to get another official update.