Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I imagine KAS hasn't been updated to include stored part costs. Allowing part modules to modify a part's cost is a new feature added to 0.24.2 and not something that broke anything, so it was not a fire to fight.

Question, does anyone know if extending the default length of pipes by a lot breaks something? I have a kethane/karbonite miner in a slope in Minmus, by a cliff leading to the Great Flats, and I'm making my base around it, sitting in a 10° slope.

But, I think, if I could extend a long pipe from the miner into the Flats, I could have the base sitting in the rather comfortable zero inclination surface. I need to measure the distance, but it's probably a few kilometers. And yes, it can be done with a lot of ground pylons and pipe end points, but over a few km, we're talking about a hundred of them.

Did anyone try this crazyness before me?

EDIT: Ok, the distance would be between 5-6 km :0.0: Still within physics range, though.

Edited by juanml82

Question, does anyone know if extending the default length of pipes by a lot breaks something? I have a kethane/karbonite miner in a slope in Minmus, by a cliff leading to the Great Flats, and I'm making my base around it, sitting in a 10° slope.

But, I think, if I could extend a long pipe from the miner into the Flats, I could have the base sitting in the rather comfortable zero inclination surface. I need to measure the distance, but it's probably a few kilometers. And yes, it can be done with a lot of ground pylons and pipe end points, but over a few km, we're talking about a hundred of them.

Did anyone try this crazyness before me?

EDIT: Ok, the distance would be between 5-6 km :0.0: Still within physics range, though.

In GameData\KAS\Parts\pipe1.cfg there is a line maxLenght = 20 You could probably adjust that to get a greater length but I have never tried it. I will test it here shortly and see what happens :D

Is there a shortcut key to Drop an item you are carrying? I see there are shortcuts for grabbing and attaching an item.
G is for both drop and grab (nearest I think).

That's the answer. Thank you. gave you a forum Rep point as well.

Ok, extending the pipes for kilometers is weird. I didn't finish the entire build at first. I went back and reloaded. The end ground pylon of the first section, stretching for 1.3 km disapears on reload. But if I switch to a ship near the starting pylon, the start pylon is there and the very long pipe is seen extending beyond the horizon. So I move a rover along the pipe... and the ground pylon reappears hovering a few meters above the ground. Quicksave and reload and it's gone again.

2qlaoap.jpg

2i971it.jpg

14boed.jpg

2rvz9y8.jpg

I didn't usually play a lot with ground pylons before. Is this a known bug or something that happens with the usual 20 meter limit as well, or is it something odd happening due the very extended length of the pipes?

Ok, extending the pipes for kilometers is weird. I didn't finish the entire build at first. I went back and reloaded. The end ground pylon of the first section, stretching for 1.3 km disapears on reload. But if I switch to a ship near the starting pylon, the start pylon is there and the very long pipe is seen extending beyond the horizon. So I move a rover along the pipe... and the ground pylon reappears hovering a few meters above the ground. Quicksave and reload and it's gone again.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qlaoap.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2i971it.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/14boed.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2rvz9y8.jpg

I didn't usually play a lot with ground pylons before. Is this a known bug or something that happens with the usual 20 meter limit as well, or is it something odd happening due the very extended length of the pipes?

There is a known upper limit to how long you can stretch those connections before the physics engine starts to screw up. I do not know what specifically the upper limit is off hand, but I am guessing it is around 50m or so based on the length of the winches when fully extended. Which means 1.3 km would be definitely in the excessive range.

Edited by Smurfalot

how are you guys playing with kas on .24.2 ?

It tells me its not compatible with my version?

Or did you all just stay on version .23 ?

Thanks,

The unofficial fix, while works, greatly raises the rate of freezing after loading. About 50% of the time for me. A shame, since KAS is one of the mods to have in KSP.

The unofficial fix, while works, greatly raises the rate of freezing after loading. About 50% of the time for me. A shame, since KAS is one of the mods to have in KSP.

You tried running KSP in linux? Personal experience has been 99% crash free HEAVILY modded, compared to windows version not being able to load a save 70% of the time in 64 bit

You tried running KSP in linux? Personal experience has been 99% crash free HEAVILY modded, compared to windows version not being able to load a save 70% of the time in 64 bit

<--- Wishes he had the computer smarts to run KSP in Linux :(

:D I'm running on 64bit windows and 64bit KSP with tons and tons of mods. Haven't had any issues with load times.

I've got 4 GB of mods (maybe I'm hitting a memory ceiling?) in 64-bit KSP, but currently, the hotfix for KAS was crashiest. Maybe it's conflict with something else? I don't think so.

That's cool, but I haven't. I'm okay with waiting for KAS to get a proper update though.

Problems using the latest fix in Linux 64 bit:

- Containers now work, but to use items removed from them (I.e. make the right click menu come up), you sometimes have to enter a vessel then get out and grab it again. I think it worked fine on Minmus, but I had to do this in Munar orbit. Will check today and edit.

- G shortcut for grab doesn't work. I just RTFMed how to rotate on attach! Will test that and get back.

Edited by colmo

I need to get my hands on the latest fix (source or patch form, not dll). I've had no trouble with KAS on linux once I did the container fix (other than KSP deciding to delete the container I had dropped when I saved and loaded, *grr* (debris cluttering KSC)).

Problems using the latest fix in Linux 64 bit:

- Containers now work, but to use items removed from them (I.e. make the right click menu come up), you sometimes have to enter a vessel then get out and grab it again. I think it worked fine on Minmus, but I had to do this in Munar orbit. Will check today and edit.

- G shortcut for grab doesn't work. I just RTFMed how to rotate on attach! Will test that and get back.

Same thing happened to me but with the win 32 bit, luckily it was floating close to my station so I kept attaching it to a spot, moved and reattached without grabbing until I got it to my probe. It's something I can live with for now, at least I can still attach things.

I've got 4 GB of mods (maybe I'm hitting a memory ceiling?) in 64-bit KSP, but currently, the hotfix for KAS was crashiest. Maybe it's conflict with something else? I don't think so.

I'm not convinced there is a memory ceiling, I'm thinking more of an issue with the D3D renderer. Loading the game with OpenGL rendering, I have seen less of an issue with the game. It is still slower/more jittery than 32 bit KSP but the mod compliment that I currently have in, without ATM/Texture replacer, puts the address space usage up to 5,294MB.

*Edit* After I wrote that, I got the game to crash at around 10GB. Even if you are using the x64 version, Texture Replacer's ability to do compression helps a lot. So even if you don't use it for anything else, at least use it for the compression. You can also use ATM basic on top of that too, the savings are quite interesting.

Edited by NoPersona
Additional information added.

I just got KAS today for the first time to straighten out my wobbly interplanetary ship. I made a basic orbital service ship with a couple of crates full of strut endpoints. I get Melmin out of the ship, right-click the crate with ten struts, open it, and press "take." Nothing happens :mad:. I try clicking it fifty more times out of pure exasperation, and still nothing happens. I have ksp version 0.24.2. Do any of you know what's happening here? All of the parts seem to be working fine in the VAB, and i can grab and place parts however i want, i just cant seem to get those parts out of the chest.

*edit*

I got the actual latest version of KAS and now grabbing objects works, but kerbals still cannot get stuff out of boxes. BTW, i have 32 bit ksp.

Edited by BrotatoSalad

Guys i got a problem. Somehow i can't transfer Fuel. I connected everything but when i rightclick on my Fuel tank i cant click anything. Is another mod needed for this to work?

Hu1drf.png

KSP version: 0.24.2

KAS version: 0.4.7

Edit: Got it on my own. Didnt know u have to ALT rightclick both tanks doh... GOD somethimes i think i am too stupid for this game xD or maybe i am getting too old.

Edited by mJrA