Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Hi, i was wondering - is it possible to create one-way fuel lines similar to stock ones? Perhaps allow kerbals to grab and move the stock ones? With them it would be possible to simplify fuel loading and unloading from complex constructions. Instead of looking for a tank that may or may not be easy to access it would be possible to designate one tank as fuel input and one tank as output, without making it in VAB and sending huge monstrosities into space.

Hi, i was wondering - is it possible to create one-way fuel lines similar to stock ones? Perhaps allow kerbals to grab and move the stock ones? With them it would be possible to simplify fuel loading and unloading from complex constructions. Instead of looking for a tank that may or may not be easy to access it would be possible to designate one tank as fuel input and one tank as output, without making it in VAB and sending huge monstrosities into space.

Hey Garm, may I suggest the TAC Fuel Balancer mod. Only because that with the KAS mod is so much easier and works out great.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25823-0-21-1-TAC-Fuel-Balancer-25Jul?highlight=Fuel+balancer

I have a question about the parameter attachNodeName is the name a node from the part.cfg or a tranformname from unity in the model of the part?

Whenever i try to define this parameter, the part disappears after grabbing it from the storage. Generally i would b e very usefull to have a attachment node, thats not active in

VAB/SPH ... And second question would it be possible? may be in the future to use regular stacknodes with kas?

Hey Garm, may I suggest the TAC Fuel Balancer mod. Only because that with the KAS mod is so much easier and works out great.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25823-0-21-1-TAC-Fuel-Balancer-25Jul?highlight=Fuel+balancer

TAC is useful, albeit I have found it rather cumbersome with large stations as the list grows exponentially large. Is it possible to make fuel transfers automatic in the current version?

HELP! i have a bug report! when i try to open a container, it doesent work! on the debug console it says: dT is Nan! TA:2.9, E:0 M:0, T:Nan ) so i dont know how to fix! im in EVA and the contianer is from Baverio tubes!

Is it possible to change the head on a winch? For example, I have an orbital "tug" that I'm trying to rescue an out-of-fuel pod in orbit with. The tug has a container with a grappling hook in it. I can grab the hook during EVA, but I don't seem to be able to 'replace' the winch head. Any ideas? I feel like I must be missing something...

TAC is useful, albeit I have found it rather cumbersome with large stations as the list grows exponentially large. Is it possible to make fuel transfers automatic in the current version?

In TAC, sort of, if you have both vessels set to balance all on the fuel settings when they dock they will auto balance all the tanks between them. Trust me it can get a bit annoying if you aren't planning on it.

And it can get cumbersome but do what I did, and cut down on parts. My station now is only 75 parts, and takes up 5 spots on the TAC balancer. Honestly the KAS mod has helped me cut down on a lot of parts I would have used otherwise to get things into orbit.

Is it possible to change the head on a winch? For example, I have an orbital "tug" that I'm trying to rescue an out-of-fuel pod in orbit with. The tug has a container with a grappling hook in it. I can grab the hook during EVA, but I don't seem to be able to 'replace' the winch head. Any ideas? I feel like I must be missing something...

Should be able to walk up or float up to the winch and select the grappling hook on your back and select attach.

I'm having an unexpected problem getting EVA attached radial engines to work...

Connected them directly to the fuel tank, but its still saying there's no fuel. Works fine if I turn on infinite fuel in the debug menu...

Doesnt work for me either.

Quicksaving, and Loading does not resolve the issue.

Was kinda looking forward to making an escape ship from spare parts ;)

Is anyone else having issues with the stability of bases using pipes? Half the time I load a scene or add a section to my Mun base, the buildings start shaking and jumping off the ground, often violently enough to break something. It might be less sensitive if pipes had some give like the winch lines do.

found a bug but cant figure out if it is kas causing it. i used the kas cable to on a simple ship to help keep guy from floating way while eva but accdently entered ship before d/c it. tried to resract and such to fix it but basialy the kas part broke and keep saying the connector was in use. so i decided to just goahead and ladn once i landed lost abilty to recover craft or go back to space port. so ended game now when try to load that ship it loads that ship fine ( its still in orbit forgot to quicksave). but 5 sec after load it the ship flies apart and game crashes.

dont know if it is kas or maybe even drec actiing up.

on another note when looking at my ksp log notices for kas for one of the wenches log says it cant find the textures but they are there in the folder. if u want the log for it i saved a copy of the log.

Is anyone else having issues with the stability of bases using pipes? Half the time I load a scene or add a section to my Mun base, the buildings start shaking and jumping off the ground, often violently enough to break something. It might be less sensitive if pipes had some give like the winch lines do.

Here is a tip I received from this very thread.

Don't place the connections at extreme angles. Personally I try to reduce the angles as much as possible. Sometimes this means using a ground pylon between structures. As seen here....

h0qy.jpg

This is an older picture, I have since added another couple of structures down there.

Just wondering, with Kopsy absent, is KAS still actively developed or only maintained for compatibility purposes?

Primarily just maintenance, but that's for bugs as well as compatibility. I've not had time yet to dive into KAS bugfixes, but after the next Kethane release I should be able to give it a good look.

Active development is possible, but I don't expect to have time to devote to new features until mid-December at the earliest.

In TAC, sort of, if you have both vessels set to balance all on the fuel settings when they dock they will auto balance all the tanks between them. Trust me it can get a bit annoying if you aren't planning on it.

And it can get cumbersome but do what I did, and cut down on parts. My station now is only 75 parts, and takes up 5 spots on the TAC balancer. Honestly the KAS mod has helped me cut down on a lot of parts I would have used otherwise to get things into orbit.

Thing is - I like building big. It has its own challenges, and I think feels much more realistic. As such I might just use extraplanetary launchpads to build complex fuel modules in places without atmosphere.

Just thought about having this ability might help not only in my case but for for planetary complex construction as well - as people could have landed multiple specialized crafts and have them working together at much quicker pace due to preemptive fuel and other resource management. For example having Kethane drill automatically dump into large kethane tank nearby, which automatically supplies processing craft, and later dumps everything into tanker shuttle landed close by.

Thing is - I like building big. It has its own challenges, and I think feels much more realistic. As such I might just use extraplanetary launchpads to build complex fuel modules in places without atmosphere.

Just thought about having this ability might help not only in my case but for for planetary complex construction as well - as people could have landed multiple specialized crafts and have them working together at much quicker pace due to preemptive fuel and other resource management. For example having Kethane drill automatically dump into large kethane tank nearby, which automatically supplies processing craft, and later dumps everything into tanker shuttle landed close by.

I can get that. But anyone who has seen some of my SSTO space planes knows I can build big, SP-400A comes to mind, 194tons with a 72 ton cargo capacity. Or the 251ton Bison SSTO space plane I made months ago in .21 with the Arcturas thrust corrector+Far+DRE, that was a nightmare to get to orbit.

With KAS I found it helped cut down on parts that became overly redundant. Like docking ports and attachment node cubes, not to mention those tiny squares of scaffolding that many people use to stack intakes.

Don't place the connections at extreme angles. Personally I try to reduce the angles as much as possible. Sometimes this means using a ground pylon between structures. As seen here....

Not an angle problem. All straight line connects. It was even more unstable when I attached pylons to the ground. The worst occurrences are when I load the scene or switch vessels. I wondered if my base was too large, but it did it with as little as 4 modules connected.

Here's my layout:

4glk.png

Active development is possible, but I don't expect to have time to devote to new features until mid-December at the earliest.

KAS 0.5 confirmed for Christmas!!!

Just kidding, thanks for the reply and the maintenance though, good job! :)